• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Startech Disk Duplicator?

alpine101

My 2TB Samsung has been in my Sky Darwin Amstrad HD box for some time now and I keep remembering that I still have no backup so I pop in to the Copy+ site periodically to see how things on the Copy+ front are progressing. I note that the Admin there has made some progress recently on the new version of Extract+ so there is hope!
But I also came across this product on the Ebuyer site ( no connection). It's a box which, as well as being connectable to a PC via USB, can apparently do sector by sector copies from one slot to its second slot. Has anyone tried one of these? I would myself but I would want to try it with 2 identical hard disks and the Samsung 2TB disk, which I last paid £59 for is currently £124!!! Presumably because of the Thailand flood problems.
ESATA USB TO SATA STANDALONE - HARD DRIVE DUPLICATOR.. | Ebuyer.com

logiciel

That does just the same as when you connect two discs direct to the motherboard, or one to the board and the other by USB, or both by separate USBs.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
There is now a new programme called ExPVR (google it) which performs copy+ functions on Darwin disks.

alpine101

That does just the same as when you connect two discs direct to the motherboard, or one to the board and the other by USB, or both by separate USBs.
Not really. It's a sector by sector copy down at the hardware level, no OS is involved which is why it should handle the Darwin formatted disks.

Last edited:

Smurkenstein

Not really. It's a sector by sector copy down at the hardware level, no OS is involved which is why it should handle the Darwin formatted disks.

mmmhmm...but you could probably use norton ghost or acronis to do the same - these programs will even clone RAID disks - I'm not sure you could use USB though.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
mmmhmm...but you could probably use norton ghost or acronis to do the same - these programs will even clone RAID disks - I'm not sure you could use USB though.

They do NOT work on the file system on Sky HDDs due to the non standard MBR which is NOT a PC standard one.

Smurkenstein

They do NOT work on the file system on Sky HDDs due to the non standard MBR which is NOT a PC standard one.

Are you sure Dave? I was under the impression that the drives don't need to be mounted and the DOS/win OS is not needed...I must admit, I haven't tried it..

Smurkenstein

hmmm....a quick google found one link that says ghost can not do it, and a second which says ghost can do it. Unfortunately, the latter link seems to be broken.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom