Start up help with E55 please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scuba Steve, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Just recently set up my new Sharp LCD TV and Panasonic E55 and very pleased with the results.

Only problem is that I can't turn the E55 on now. The first few times that I switched it on it went through a self check and then showed 'no disc' on the display (there was no disc so that's fine). Now when I turn it on the clock shows and has a flashing dot next to the bottom of the last digit. Then a series of 7 lines flash up one at a time (pressumably what happens when a DVD is playing). After a while they stop and the clock remains.

I'm hoping it is something dumb that I'm not doing but I can't find any mention in the literature or on the website.

Any ideas? Please!

SS

2. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    sounds like its working ok!. The flashing dot is the clock seconds!.

How have you connected it to your tv and what connection settings have you set the E55 up with?

Also try pressing "functions" on the E55 remote to get the menus up or playing a disc so you can output a picture.

S

3. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sunil1234

Thanks for the reply. I can't use the remote as it doesn't function if the e55 hasn't done a self check. I initially set it up by using the functions menu but I can't access it anymore.

I did put a password in when prompted. I'm wondering if it may be that but there is nothing in the manual (which is possibly the worst manual known to man) about using it or what it is for. Any ideas? I've tried just preesing the numbers in sequence but no joy. The child lock isn't on.

I unpugged the unit overnight. Now the time is flashing but it still won't do a self check when switched on so I can't even reset the time now! :mad:

It is set up as follows:

Sky(RF in) and PS2(AV4 in) ---- E55 ---- Sharp 26GA4E (AV out to input 3)

E55 ---- Sony W2 PC/TV in bedroom(RF out)

TV is set to correct input. I have watched TV on both Sharp and W2 so don't think setup is a problem. I just need to know why the self check doesn't work when I hit the on button. I still just get the 7 lines/bars flashing and after a couple of minutes the display says 'Bye' and goes back to standby.

HELP!

SS

4. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    hmm not sure mate. Try disconnecting everything else except for the E55 to the Sharp TV using one scart and see what happens. Might be that one of the scart/RGBs is sending a switch off signal or something so you could try using a single video lead first just to see (yellow connector)

Also check all connections are doubly secure.

If no joy send the damn thing back and get a replacement.

I think the pin is just for owner ID so it shouldnt affect normaL use.

HTH

S

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you haven't got it in "ext link" have you? Press that button to get it out of "ext link"

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly guys, no joy. "Ext link" was not on. No dodgy signals being sent. I still can't help thinking that it is to do with this password business. It says in the (naff) manual that the password is there so that nobody can use it if it gets stolen. This must mean that it does nothing until the password is entered.

The manual tells me everything I need to set the password up (done that). What it doesn't seem to describe is how to enter the password!

Humour me here Sunil1234. I'll feel better if I've at least tried. Any idea how?

SS

7. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    dunno mate, power it on (as you left it off overnight the clock memory etc could be reset) and enter the pin as the only buttons you press on the handset when it boots up?

WHat i cant understand is why it doesnt attempt to display anything, even a password prompt? - please do connect only power and composite video to a tv

The manual is also hot on having the right power lead and to only use it with the E55 and nothing else - looks the same as all the others to me but can you check (for a million in one chance) that the power lead is mixed up with another av appliance and it needs its own one?

Where did you buy it from?

S

8. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I am no use on the password as i never entered one on mine, or my panny screen

Sorry

S

9. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I bought my E55 ex display and it had a pin already installed which I didn't know. It has no effect whatsoever other than not letting me alter the name and address which is stored there.

Press the function button to bring up the control menu. If you don't see this and you are connected correctly the unit is faulty. I assume there's nothing silly like the TV on RGB and the E55 on composite.