Start PC with remote control IR command?

owenw

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has managed to set up their HCPC to boot up from a remote IR command? Is this even possible?
I presume the motherboard would need to have a "Wake On Serial Port" or "Wake on USB" option in the BIOS and a suitable IR receiver like the IRMan?

Would be nice to include the HCPC on the list of equipment which can be powered on/off by remote. :)

Owen

My motherboard has a wake on mouse and or the press of a keyboard key.

I use a USB keyboard and mouse which stays power up even when the PC is off. All i have to do to boot the PC is press a mouse button, but its an RF mouse and keyboard not IR. Maybe there is an IR keyboard that will let you do the same

I guess this is not much help if you want to start your HCPC from an IR romote but i like using the mouse.

Thanks for the replies guys
I might go down the IR mouse /keyboard route.
30 quid is a bit steep although knowing me I'll end up getting one eventually... or wait and see what developments come along for HCPC IR control :)

Owen

Originally posted by owenw
Would be nice to include the HCPC on the list of equipment which can be powered on/off by remote. :)

Powering "off" isn't a problem, simple Girder command.

Powering up - apart from what's been suggested I can't add I'm afraid :(

Never did find it to be a problem hitting the "on" switch TBH :p

Best of luck.

Easiest way of 'waking-up' (not booting from cold) is to get hold of a cheapy IR keyboard (£15 off ebay?) and plug the IR receiver into the ps/2 port. Learn the 'space' key to your remote control and then ditch the keyboard (assuming your main keyboard is USB).

I think all Motherboards support wake-on ps/2 in the BIOS and therefore you can simply have sleep and wake buttons on your remote.

I have a PS/2 IR keyboard which can not be used to turn on the PC so i guess if you went down this root you would have to be careful you got one that stayed powered on when the PC was off.

ps/2 ports stay powered when a computer is in standby.

You'd have to use standby/wake-up via keyboard NOT shutdown/switch on.

Only way of switching on from cold will be via a IR receiver connected to the motherboards PWR pins (as per the link added above)...

Yeah the trouble with IR mioce/keyboards is that they only work when the PC is already on :)

A "Wake on IR" feature built into motherboards would be so helpful for HCPCs don't you think?

I suppose I could do the standby option, the PC would be ready for use quicker too than a cold boot.

I don't mind leaving PC's on all the time (I do this regularly for long 3D renders anyway) but do they use a lot of power?

I'm always being lectured about the amount of power the TV etc uses in Standby mode. "3p a year?" I always ask ;)

Pack man, I thought all ATX motherboards send power to the ports for "Wake up" commands from the ACPI power management?
Maybe check if the power management has been disabled in the BIOS?

Owen

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom