1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start-out DV Camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Tobywan, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Tobywan

Tobywan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a respectable entry level DV camcorder, for as cheap as possible(!).

Can anyone recommend one that's simple to use, yields good results and won't bankrupt me?!

I'm looking for a model that I'll be able to upload info into/use in I-Movie...

Thanks a lot and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

2. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tobywan,
    I did a fair bit of research into entry level Digital camcorders recently, and I think that it really comes down to two makes, Sony and Panasonic.
    The Sony entry level Digital Camcorders are Digital 8 format, and are a little larger and heavier than the Panasonics, which are mini-DV format. The Sony's are bottom loaders, which can be arkward if you use a tripod regularly, whereas the Panasonics are side loaders. Another good site for you to find lots of info to help you decide, (it is where I gleaned most of my information) is the Simply DV site.
    www.simplydv.co.uk
    and check out the forum, where some of the posts cover this subject.
    I found that quality-wise, there is not much to choose between these two makes, in the budget price range. But pound for pound, the Panasonic gives you more useful features.
    Hope this is useful for you, and a Merry Christmas to you,
    Alan
    :)

3. Tobywan

Tobywan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan

Thanx for the tip - I'll definitely check out simplyAV.

Have a great Xmas/New Year!

Peace

Toby

4. colinrbarrett

colinrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are several low-cost camcorder out there that you might find useful. One is a JVC DVL-150, which is a simple DV-out only model that can be used with any computer that has FireWire. It's one of a range of cams that are quite cheap (ie: sub £600) but which have a good set of basic functions. (In fact, I think that as the DVL-150 is now being phased out by JVC, there should be some very good deals around. Argos are offering a good price on it - less than £500 if I'm not mistaken).

The only thing about the DVL-150 is that it's a DV-out only model only. If you wanted to save your edited sequences back to DV tape in the camcorder, you'll need a Datavision JV Widget or similar to bypass the function. (For more info about DV-in see http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Background/DVin.html).

Other than that, it will work fine with iMovie2 and a Mac; I know, I've used both of them together too!

For info about Widgets: http://www.datavision.co.uk/

Colin