Start of the Journey

If you look up thread you'll see Alan has considered the 23i and I believe he has discounted it for his domestic aesthetic reasons. The 22i actually has a larger diameter bass driver and exactly the same tweeter in a smaller cabinet, so whilst the transmission line is shorter and therefore the lowest frequency will be a bit higher, in every other aspect I would expect the performance to be the same. Personally I feel the Lyngdorf will be lacking enough grunt, but then I've never heard one so I could be totally wrong.
Regards
Martin
Running a 50wpc Cyrus at the moment and is more than enough to fill my room at levels I am happy with
The PMCs are going by the figures fairly easy to drive, while the Lyngdorf is 60 wpc into 8 ohms doubling 120 wpc into 4ohms.
Also my BK sub will be taking the strain of the bottom end.

All my CDs are packed up in the loft, sticking to streaming and Vinyl for the moment.

The Lyngdorf has its own built in streamer so will be compering the inbuilt unit with my node 2i to see what gives the best results.
With all the discussions around the RP ability of the Lyngdorf I’d forgotten it was also a streamer !

So hopefully ordering my new system in the next couple of days but just looking for some advice.
Have decided to dip my toe into the strange world of the MC cartridge and looking for recommendations at around the £500-600 mark.
May stick up a separate post to catch the TT mobs attention.

Thanks
You might consider the Hana Sl or its SH sister. Both are excellent for the money.

If you're set on the Gyrodec I'd seriously consider one of the arms by Audiomods ; they're based on Rega arms but completely rebuilt by hand and to order so there's a few weeks waiting time but they are completely worth it and look , and sound , stunning .

Stu.

If you're set on the Gyrodec I'd seriously consider one of the arms by Audiomods ; they're based on Rega arms but completely rebuilt by hand and to order so there's a few weeks waiting time but they are completely worth it and look , and sound , stunning .

Stu.
@Alan Weir 1 - Drip, Drip, Drip…..that’s the sound of your bank account haemorrhaging ££ once you get this fancy TT 🤣

You might consider the Hana Sl or its SH sister. Both are excellent for the money.
Yeah I have seen them a both get not to bad reviews.

Stu.
Well now that you say that there is now a new contender added to the list.
Working down south this week and managed to get a look at and listen to the Origin live Calypso TT with silver arm. A Gorgeous piece of engineering with a beautiful sound.
Noooooo more confusion!!!😀😀
Will keep you posted!

So that's it done!! 😀😀Everthing ordered and payed for.
And what a sense of relief when you hit that pay button, I never realised this would be so stressful,confusing and time consuming. Let's hope it's all worth it.

First items should be here in a day or so with the TT taking around two weeks to get here, so you all have a couple of weeks off before I start bombarding you with questions on how to set everything up correctly. 😃😃😃

Part of me still longs for the PMCs but I still think I made the right call. Anyway they are fantastic speakers.
What cartridge did you decide on?

Part of me still longs for the PMCs but I still think I made the right call. Anyway they are fantastic speakers.
What cartridge did you decide on?
….and tonearm? I think we need a full kit list.

Oh, probably don’t need to tell you but may be worth checking your home insurance as some of it may be above your single item limit (usually £3k iirc) and there you will need to itemise these bits.

This is how the full thing has shaped up.

TT - Origin live Calypso

Arm - Origin live Zephyr

Origin live cartridge enabler

Cartridge - Hana ML moving coil cartridge

Phono stage - Moon 110 LVP2 MM/MC

Base - Michell iso base

Cover - Michell SECURE cover

Weight - Origin live gravity one clamp

Mat - Origin live upgrade platter mat

Amp - Lyngdorf 1120 with remote control

Speakers - PMC Twenty25 22i

And that's nearly 5 hours since I've ordered and still no sign!😀😀

One more thing, on trawling through manuals etc, finally found out that Blue Tac is officially the sticky substance for the discerning audiophile. Found this in the pmc speaker stand set up -
Screenshot_20210923-193147_Office~2.jpg

😀😀😀😀😀

I agree with your purchasing experience. It can be very stressful. Don't know about you but, for some reason, I get buyers remorse. Anyway, get your gear set up and then enjoy it.

I have found Origin Live kit to do what is claimed. I have never been disappointed with anything of theirs that I have bought. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on playing records both with and without the Origin live gravity one.

So first two items arrived last night and today.

First of all and courtesy of @Martin6 a lovely new set of speaker cables. Gonna look great and sound fantastic in the new set up!

20210930_184426.jpg

Kitten there for the awwwww factor!😀

Secondly and to go with the cables, my speakers arrived around an hour ago. Never seen them in black in person, but think they are stunning!!
20210930_184145.jpg

My quandary is do I set them up now or wait until everything else arrives?

Last edited:
The PMC’s look lovely, Go for it, at least they will be broken in before the other kit arrives !

Yeah treat yourself.... Go for it.

So did you connect the speakers? Or are you being patient? Cute kitty

So did you connect the speakers? Or are you being patient? Cute kitty
Not as yet, doing 12hour night shifts at the moment and trying to decorate the hall in between (part of the deal ☹😀) before the new carpet goes down.

Did receive one or two bits and pieces in today.
Record weight, mat, phono stage, scales, but no amp or turntable as yet.

Anything else arrive.... the suspense is killing us!!!! 🙀

Nothing as yet, may have to get intouch with the dealer .
I suspect they have had to order the amp in as I wanted the remote control with it.
I knew the TT would be 2-3 weeks so I'm guessing they will send out the TT, arm, cartridge enabler and cartridge all at the one time.
Not sure on base and cover, Michell's TT can take up to 12 weeks to arrive as they manufacture them to order but can't see that happening with the a cover and base.
Hopefully they will all arrive together and very soon.

Just a quick update, and hoping not to go off in a rant!

Nothing more has arrived as yet and after a dozen emails, phone calls and the like here are how things stand.

They have received the TT, arm and stuff. It has been set up and posted out today apparently!🤨

The distributor had supposedly already send out the Lyngdorf amp but it was either sent to the wrong address or lost in the post? I now have a delivery text from the courier for the second amp (the first text I have received)and it should be here by Friday?

The Mitchell base and cover were supposedly to be delivered straight from the manufacturer but neither Me or the company has heard anything yet, so they are going to look into it for me.

Also found out today that the carpet for my hall that was "on its way" is now out of stock and won't be available for six weeks!!

What the hell is wrong with Companies in this country at the moment?
They are quick enough to take your money but once they have it customer service goes right out the window.
Broken promises, no communication and a basic disregard for their customers.

People complain about the power and money companies like Amazon/Bezos have but that is because they deliver and do a damn good job of it.

The rest need to get their fingers out of their A**e and start giving a semi decent service!!
Makes me want to name and shame them on sites like this.

Sorry rant over!!

@Alan Weir 1 my sympathies sir. I know how frustrating it can be.
The annoying thing is that if companies are straight with people customers tend to be more understanding. It's when you have to chase up via lengthy phone calls, endless e mails that customers get the hump.
Hope your wait is not too long.

So amp arrived this afternoon (minus remote, not sure if this comes separately) so have spent the evening getting the speakers and amp all connected and playing sounds of some description. Not had the time to do final positioning, room perfect etc and a bit late in the evening to see what they can do. Hopefully over the next week or so will start to fine tune everything to get the sound I want.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom