Start of the Journey

Is that the phono stage? Will check they have it.
Yeah - trying it on the P6 would certainly be worth while too. A very significant improvement in dynamics and soundstage over the Fono MC & this will be even more apparent with the P8 of course!

I have a demo booked for Saturday at my local dealer. I'm trying out the Rega 6 with Ania cart mc & the Rega8 with Ania Pro, Rega Fono mc & Spendor A7 speakers( like mine).
Will let you know how I get on big guy!!!
Sounds like a fun hour or two out.

Hope so. Haven't told the little lady yet.... She knows that I'm interested in a new TT but her reaction to that was a thin smile & a slow shake of the head, as if I had gone ga ga.
I think if I opt for the Rega 8, Ania Pro cart & Aria Phono set up it might be lard sarnies for lunch for a month. Yum.

I think the Planar 8 is one of the TTs I will be demoing, along with the Gyrodec, Vertere, Acoustic solid and EAT. So much choice so little time!😀

I think the Planar 8 is one of the TTs I will be demoing, along with the Gyrodec, Vertere, Acoustic solid and EAT. So much choice so little time!😀
Alan - So answer this when the better half’s not around. Will you be finding another room for your current system 🤣🤣

Alan - So answer this when the better half’s not around. Will you be finding another room for your current system 🤣🤣
Already discussed, moving it up to the bedroom and the Muso will be moved into the kitchen.
I've got it by her by putting it under the heading of home improvements! Also getting some new doors replacing a window, decorating the hall and laying a new carpet. Bit sneaky I know but needs must!😀😀

Already discussed, moving it up to the bedroom and the Muso will be moved into the kitchen.
I've got it by her by putting it under the heading of home improvements! Also getting some new doors replacing a window, decorating the hall and laying a new carpet. Bit sneaky I know but needs must!😀😀
I really need to up my negotiating skills!

🤣🤣 Nice strategy

Got back from my dealer after demos on Rega 6 & Rega Planer 8.
First up was the 6 with Ania cart & Fono MC phono, Roksan Blak & Spendor A7s- not too shabby a set up. I had taken my own vinyl to listen to some Led Zep, Norah Jones & AC/DC.
The Rega 6 was a clear step up in class to the Pro - ject MM TT ( Ortofon blue) that I have. Impressed I was!
The Rega 8 was something else. I wanted to listen to it with the Aria phono but that was unavailable unfortunately. So again I had it paired with the Fono, but with the Ania Pro cart. Wow!!! What a TT! I listened to the same tracks but what a difference, clearer, instruments way more defined & the overall timbre was a massive improvement.
I figured that I would end up purchasing the Rega 6 before listening to both TTs & the 8 would be demoed more out of curiosity.I really did not forsee there being
such a difference in class between the 2🤔...... How wrong was I.
I'm delighted to say that I purchased the Rega 8, with Ania Pro cart & the Fono MC.
I should have it by next weekend & I couldn't be happier. @Alan Weir 1 this is a TT you have to hear!!!!!! 😃

Got back from my dealer after demos on Rega 6 & Rega Planer 8.
First up was the 6 with Ania cart & Fono MC phono, Roksan Blak & Spendor A7s- not too shabby a set up. I had taken my own vinyl to listen to some Led Zep, Norah Jones & AC/DC.
The Rega 6 was a clear step up in class to the Pro - ject MM TT ( Ortofon blue) that I have. Impressed I was!
The Rega 8 was something else. I wanted to listen to it with the Aria phono but that was unavailable unfortunately. So again I had it paired with the Fono, but with the Ania Pro cart. Wow!!! What a TT! I listened to the same tracks but what a difference, clearer, instruments way more defined & the overall timbre was a massive improvement.
I figured that I would end up purchasing the Rega 6 before listening to both TTs & the 8 would be demoed more out of curiosity.I really did not forsee there being
such a difference in class between the 2🤔...... How wrong was I.
I'm delighted to say that I purchased the Rega 8, with Ania Pro cart & the Fono MC.
I should have it by next weekend & I couldn't be happier. @Alan Weir 1 this is a TT you have to hear!!!!!! 😃
Fantastic! Next weekend won't come quick enough for you!
I'm having slightly less luck. Still waiting on one dealer to come back to me with a demo time, spent two hour driving to another only to find out Saturdays are appointment only(no mention of this when googled) and an other shuts at 1pm on a Saturday.
An other dealer sent me out a quote 3K more than my max figure stating I would love the system he has recommended and on hearing would manage to find the extra cash! (The quote also included £600 for cables!😀😀😀)
Seems like they are not to keen up here on people spending money with them!
Also why are the majority of dealers shut on a Sunday with restricted access on a Saturday? Surely these should be the two days of the week they should be open?
Think I may have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!😀😫😀

My dealer only takes appointments for demos as well. I think a lot of it is to ensure the equipment is set up in good time. He had to change both cartridges as well before. My dealer is also closed Sundays. Crazy I know, especially as so many people are off. However this is only a small ( but well established) dealership & I can sympathise that hours have to be covered & the need for time off.
I worked alternate weekends for over 30 years until last year & having them all off now is absolutely precious!!!!!
You'll get there big guy & I'm sure have an absolute blast. 👍

Last edited:
So first demo booked for Saturday morning.

A quick run down on kit to be heard

Fyne Audio F700/F701

Planar 8 with ania cart

Moon 240/neo ace/phono combo

Do like the moon kit, looks lovely and well reviewed BUT no room correction?!

Roll on Saturday!😀

So first demo booked for Saturday morning.

A quick run down on kit to be heard

Fyne Audio F700/F701

Planar 8 with ania cart

Moon 240/neo ace/phono combo

Do like the moon kit, looks lovely and well reviewed BUT no room correction?!

Roll on Saturday!😀
Some lovely kit there Alan - not heard any Moon stuff personally but I’ve listened to Fyne speakers on a few occasions and I remember Dave Walters saying they like to use Rega kit with most of their demos. Enjoy!

They had a large choice of Fyne Audio speakers at my dealer last week. Very nice.
Are you demoing the Ania or Ania Pro? I listened to the Ania with the Rega 6 & the Pro with the Rega 8 which was superb & a step up.
Good luck & enjoy. I always enjoy demos of kit.

They had a large choice of Fyne Audio speakers at my dealer last week. Very nice.
Are you demoing the Ania or Ania Pro? I listened to the Ania with the Rega 6 & the Pro with the Rega 8 which was superb & a step up.
Good luck & enjoy. I always enjoy demos of kit.
Sorry not the Ania but the Apheta 3 cart.

That will be even better.
I feel like a pauper now ☹️

Picked up my new Rega Planar8 & Fono MC & set it up.
Moved the old Pro-ject into the bedroom for now.
The first album I put on was ' Mutter' by Rammstein. I got it Thursday & had played it on the Pro-ject (blue Ortofon mm) & was really impressed. What would the Rega sound like?
Wow!!! Knocked it out the park! smacked it's ar*e son!
Obviously there is a massive price difference between the 2 & that is plain to see & hear. The Rega is a beautiful design, minimalist & light as a feather.The sound is what it's all about though & here it delivers in spades. Awesome.Rich & clear & powerful, what a machine, Ithought I had the band in my living room.
I have to say though that I am so glad that I started off with the Pro-ject,, it really did its job well & laired me back into the vinyl fold well & truly.
All in all I am one happy bunny.
IMG_20210911_153140.jpg
IMG_20210911_153048.jpg

How did you get on?
The first album I put on was ' Mutter' by Rammstein. I got it Thursday & had played it on the Pro-ject (blue Ortofon mm) & was really impressed. What would the Rega sound like?
Obviously there is a massive price difference between the 2 & that is plain to see & hear. The Rega is a beautiful design, minimalist & light as a feather.The sound is what it's all about though & here it delivers in spades. Awesome.Rich & clear & powerful, what a machine, Ithought I had the band in my living room.
I have to say though that I am so glad that I started off with the Pro-ject,, it really did its job well & laired me back into the vinyl fold well & truly.
All in all I am one happy bunny.View attachment 1569086View attachment 1569087
Fantastic!! I'm sure you are going to spend many happy hour with what is definitely a very fine TT (until you catch upgradeitis again!😀😀 Just a shame they have not developed a vaccine for that as yet although the Mrs has a very similar effect!😀)

How did you get on?
It was a demo of mixed outcomes.

System set up was -

Planar 8 with Apheta 3 cart
Moon neo ace streaming amp
Fyne audio F701s

First thing we both noticed were the speakers were massive! Absolutely stunning, beautifully made and finished but humongous.
I had done some measurements against my own speakers but it did not show how bulky the 700s were.

Started off with some vinyl I had brought along including Maynard Ferguson, LTE3, REM, Haken, Nigel Kennedy.
WOW what a difference from my Pro-ject! The clarity, the air, the sound stage everything was off the scale. And completely silent when running.

Totally impressed with the wee Planar.

Then the problems started. Wanted to hear how the amp performed as a streamer. Could we get it connected. We had the network on and off,my phone on and off, and after 45mins of messing around finally got some sort of connection. Tried a few tracks (including some Lorna Shore, the salesman just about sh*t himself!😀😀) but all this time the connection just kept dropping out. What we did hear was impressive except some Bette Midler which sounded rather thin and empty but this could be a good system showing up a bad recording.

So thoughs so far, may have to consider the 701s little brother the 700s or the equally gorgeous F1-5 for the
Speakers this could leave enough in the budget to move up to the Planer 10 if I decide to go the Rega route.

The Moon took a bit of a beating today, it looks great and sounds great but the connectivity issues have given me pause for thought.

Next up I'm demoing the Lyngdorfs 1120 and 3400 and a gyrodec so let's see what that turns up!!

The Arm & cart used on the Gyro will play a big part on its performance - a mate of mine has a Gyro SE with the Dynavector 20 x2 and RB808 arm, a nice combo but it does sound a little edgy and bright in comparison to my Planar 10 Apheta 3 which IMO is transparent, I mean it doesn’t colour or influence the recording one way or another. You get what is on the record, no bells or whistles.

Regarding the speakers, have you considered PMC? The Twenty5 23I have a small footprint and certainly do the business.

All in all I am one happy bunny.View attachment 1569086View attachment 1569087
What a wonderful choice - glad you are enjoying it Sir:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom