Start of the Journey

Call me Candy

Lorna Shore do seem to have that effect...... I think I nearly soiled myself too! I'm just waiting for the right moment to launch them on my little lady huh, huh huh!!!!
Fyne Audio sure do make impressive looking speakers.
It's a shame about Moon. I think it's admirable that you want to source local Hi Fi.
I think you'll have more success with the Lyngdorfs- a lot of people on here rave about them. I was a little surprised that in an earlier post you remarked that salesmen in a shop you visited poo pooed the Room Perfect on the Lyngdorf. Sounds a bit like snobbey elitism on their part. 🧐

Alan Weir 1

The Arm & cart used on the Gyro will play a big part on its performance - a mate of mine has a Gyro SE with the Dynavector 20 x2 and RB808 arm, a nice combo but it does sound a little edgy and bright in comparison to my Planar 10 Apheta 3 which IMO is transparent, I mean it doesn’t colour or influence the recording one way or another. You get what is on the record, no bells or whistles.

Regarding the speakers, have you considered PMC? The Twenty5 23I have a small footprint and certainly do the business.
I have thought about the PMC speakers, also the Dynaudio special 40and the sonus faber sonetto 2. Not gonna rush things.

Alan Weir 1

Lorna Shore do seem to have that effect...... I think I nearly soiled myself too! I'm just waiting for the right moment to launch them on my little lady huh, huh huh!!!!
Fyne Audio sure do make impressive looking speakers.
It's a shame about Moon. I think it's admirable that you want to source local Hi Fi.
I think you'll have more success with the Lyngdorfs- a lot of people on here rave about them. I was a little surprised that in an earlier post you remarked that salesmen in a shop you visited poo pooed the Room Perfect on the Lyngdorf. Sounds a bit like snobbey elitism on their part. 🧐
What are you doing on here on a Saturday night? You should be fully engrossed on that gorgeous new disc spinner!πŸ˜€

Call me Candy

She's round her friends...... oh! You mean the Rega 🀭
Yep, having a few beers with a couple of pals, mighty impressed they are. But more concerned with the Footy earlier.

Alan Weir 1

Trying to convince myself that the 701s aren't to big for my room. The Mrs has a completely different view so looking for some options from you Motley lot.

Made up a cardboard model ( don't mock, I never got a Blue Peter badge!πŸ˜„) and stuck it on a stand as you can see from the pic.
For reference it's a 55" TV a standard size TT and a pair of B&W606s.

So......?
20210912_203819.jpg

Call me Candy

Brilliant workmanship sir & I salute your efforts in trying to win an unwinnable situation.
In lieu of the size of the room v speaker I think you would end up hating yourself if you got them.... or divorced. I made a similar mistake last year buying a pair of Focal 926 Floorstanders. Had to remind myself every morning I wasn't a druid/ hippy at stonehenge with the size of the speakers.

Alan Weir 1

Brilliant workmanship sir & I salute your efforts in trying to win an unwinnable situation.
In lieu of the size of the room v speaker I think you would end up hating yourself if you got them.... or divorced. I made a similar mistake last year buying a pair of Focal 926 Floorstanders. Had to remind myself every morning I wasn't a druid/ hippy at stonehenge with the size of the speakers.
So if I'm correct what you have just said is....those will look immense in your room big man, get them bought now, and if I was your wife I would divorce you instantly if you don't ordered them double quick?πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Call me Candy

.... but πŸ€”... they are lovely speakers....... how much do you love your wife?

Alan Weir 1

.... but πŸ€”... they are lovely speakers....... how much do you love your wife?
Oh I know you're so right and it looks like it's going to be something more in proportion, probably just needed it confirmed to me by someone with more common sense and brains than me. πŸ‘πŸ₯ΊπŸ‘

Call me Candy

Sir you flatter me.... I just showed your latest post to my nearest & dearest & she nearly spat her Budweiser at me..... Classy eh?

Alan Weir 1

Is the white object to the right of your turntable a model of the new sub woofer?
Nope that's a real sub. It's fairly new and will be kept as part of the new set up.

Martin6

Standard Member
Hi Alan
I have been reading your thread with interest as I have recently been throught a similar process and I may be able to assist you with speaker choice. I have known PMC speakers for a long time and I rate them, so this year I bought a pair of 25.23i. I am driving them with a pair of valve monoblocks which will undoubtedly give them a particular sound but equally a not overly forward SS amp will work well. I would suggest they need a bit of welly to make them sing and you do get a fair bit more bass for the cabinet size compared to other types of design. I note we are not too geographically distant so perhaps it might suit you to come and have a listen, you can at least fairly easily decide on whether they are worth pursuing. PM me if you are interested.
Regards
Martin
IMG_1178.JPG

Last edited:

Alan Weir 1

Big shout out tonight for @Martin6 who very kindly invited the good lady and myself down to hear his set up. It was a totally enjoyable couple of hours relaxing and listening to some wonderful music on a fine system.
The main reason for popping down tonight was to hear Martins PMC speaker set up as they are one of the options I'm considering purchasing, and boy was I not disappointed.
For such slimline and almost diminutive towers, the PMC speakers were awesome! Clear and transparent but with a full and rich presentation. I found it almost impossible to believe that these small slim boxes with their smallish looking drivers could sound so huge and yet so clean.

I do have to add that some of this could be down to the achingly beautiful and rather powerful valve mono blocks that are used to drive the speakers or the Quad pre-amp which can I say looks far better in the flesh.

So once again thanks to Martin for adding to my confusion in this whole process! πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜€

Call me Candy

Those speakers are wonderful.
I heard them with a Naim set up at a Sevenoaks store.
Was going to go with them but tried out the Spendor A7 s
(even more streamlined) & they were a better fit for me.
But it was a damned close call - plus got a good deal with the Spendors.

Alan Weir 1

So hopefully ordering my new system in the next couple of days but just looking for some advice.
Have decided to dip my toe into the strange world of the MC cartridge and looking for recommendations at around the Β£500-600 mark.
May stick up a separate post to catch the TT mobs attention.

Thanks

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
As someone who loves the AT VM95ML my starting point would be the AT OC9XML or SH.

Call me Candy

So hopefully ordering my new system in the next couple of days but just looking for some advice.
Have decided to dip my toe into the strange world of the MC cartridge and looking for recommendations at around the Β£500-600 mark.
May stick up a separate post to catch the TT mobs attention.

Thanks
What system did you decide on? Are you going for the Fyne Audio or PMC speakers?

Alan Weir 1

This is how it is looking just now.

PMC twenty5 22i

Lyngdorf 1120

Gyrodec with technoarm in black

Rega fono MM/MC

Just been advised by an other member to stick with a top of the range MM cartridge at the moment rather than a MC at this price.

Thoughts?

Call me Candy

Sounds like a lovely system.
Wise choice going for the bigger PMC stand mounts.
As far as the cartridge...
well I started off with the mm Blue Ortofon, handy little thing but hardly top of the range. Now have the mc Rega Ania Pro, massive difference. But I haven't heard a top mm

Ascotbilly

PMC twenty5 22i

Lyngdorf 1120

Rega fono MM/MC

Just been advised by an other member to stick with a top of the range MM cartridge at the moment rather than a MC at this price.

Thoughts?
Like it Al, quality selections bet you never thought it would be so stressful 🀣 Are you adding any of your existing sources ie Streamer CD etc ?

mseve1

PMC twenty5 22i

Lyngdorf 1120

Rega fono MM/MC

Thoughts?
Alan, did you consider the floor standing PMC twenty5 23i instead of the stand mount 22i? Given the not inconsiderable cost of dedicated stands I would have thought the former would give a much better performance for only a few Β£ more than the latter - and in my mind they are much nicer looking!

Martin6

Standard Member
If you look up thread you'll see Alan has considered the 23i and I believe he has discounted it for his domestic aesthetic reasons. The 22i actually has a larger diameter bass driver and exactly the same tweeter in a smaller cabinet, so whilst the transmission line is shorter and therefore the lowest frequency will be a bit higher, in every other aspect I would expect the performance to be the same. Personally I feel the Lyngdorf will be lacking enough grunt, but then I've never heard one so I could be totally wrong.
Regards
Martin

Alan Weir 1

Like it Al, quality selections bet you never thought it would be so stressful 🀣 Are you adding any of your existing sources ie Streamer CD etc ?
All my CDs are packed up in the loft, sticking to streaming and Vinyl for the moment.

The Lyngdorf has its own built in streamer so will be compering the inbuilt unit with my node 2i to see what gives the best results.

Alan Weir 1

Alan, did you consider the floor standing PMC twenty5 23i instead of the stand mount 22i? Given the not inconsiderable cost of dedicated stands I would have thought the former would give a much better performance for only a few Β£ more than the latter - and in my mind they are much nicer looking!
Looks and room size we're the deciding factor in going for the stand mounts. I also have a decent set of stands I'm going to try out first to see if I can save a couple of bob, (then spend it on records!πŸ˜€πŸ˜€)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited