1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start new living room HC build...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by SilverPenguin7, Jul 22, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Next saturday (31st July) I shall be moving back to my old house which I have been renting for the last couple of years. I have decided to install the HC equipment so it takes up as little space as it can and is as descrete as it can be as the living room isn't very big.

I have decided to upgrade my speakers to (hopefully) MA Radius 180's so that they can be mounted on the wall, which will free up floor space that my current floorstanders take up. I have also decided to get the speakers in white so they blend in with the wall was much as they can (which will be a very light colour of some sort).
    The actual amp etc will probably stay on the Ikea Oppli as I haven't found anything else I like that is suitable and cheap. The Oppli is only 50cm deep and that is the max size i want to go with as the room isn't huge.

Now, here are the three areas that I'm slightly curious about:

1) Pull up current wooden flooring and take old skirting boards off and replace both so that I can hide all cables when I replace them. Also cables will be hidden in the walls for speakers.

2) Wall mount plasma. This will be to the outside wall (on the inside though obviously :rotfl: ) which is plasterboard that I 'think' is just bonded to breeze block as apposed to nailed to wooden spacer thingies.

3) As the sub will be sitting on wooden floor, should I get a small off cut of carpet or rug to put under it (its downward firing), will this help the sound?

Are there any tips that any experienced people here can give me regrding the above. I have read loads of posts on the subjects so think I have most of it covered but if there are any little details that can easily be overlooked or anything I need to baer in mind then I'm all ears :)

I will of course take lots of pictures so that i can show you all how it goes!

2. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll expect the pictures to look bloody brilliant, lovely work on the photography sites, you have a good eye for a picture.

3. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanking you kindly :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    where are you based?
    Budget?

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Based in West London. Budget? Ummm whatever flooring, paint and skirting boards etc cost! I already have the equipment (ordered the Radius 180's now), sorry if my post was a little miss-leading :)