Starscape - here to help you plan and implement a fibre optic star ceiling in your home cinema

Starscape Star Ceilings

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello, we're Starscape Star Ceilings - new to avforums but not to the home cinema sector. From our base in North Northumberland we've been manufacturing DIY star ceiling kits for around 20 years, and seven years ago we launched what we genuinely believe to be the world's leading readymade modular star ceiling system - Infinity - specifically designed for the home cinema sector.

Prior to that we'd been supplying DIY enthusiasts and home cinema professionals with basic DIY fibre optic kits. However, we were getting feedback from the professionals that the whole business of building a star ceiling from scratch was simply too time-consuming. Even worse, they said, was the fact that it was very hard to accurately predict - and price - the amount of time needed for this work. The result was that on occasion they'd find they'd grossly under-estimated the installation time and ended up effectively working for nothing.

We became aware that some home cinema firms were starting to be a bit wary about accepting requests from their customers to include a star ceiling in a project. This was bad news for those customers, and even worse news for us!

So, we sat down to think how we might address this challenge. Since the main issue lay in the time required to create a star ceiling, the obvious solution was to provide a system which was easy and fast to install. The result was the Infinity panel - a 1000 x 1000mm panel with 100 stars, complete and ready to install. The installation method, using steel mounting track and magnetic panels, is so straightforward that home cinema professionals can now price that component of their labour input to within an hour or two. Smaller jobs won't even take two hours!

And, not only is it fast and easy to install, but it also looks amazing. The three senior people at Starscape are all amateur astronomers, so producing convincing lifelike star patterns has been a priority for us from Day One.

Because Infinity was developed specifically for the commercial home cinema installers it won't always be within the budget of the DIY cinema enthusiast, but we're also happy to sell the components to allow a DIY installer to create his/her own star panels from scratch, with the potential of ending up with something which looks very close to the "real thing", but at about a third of the price of the readymade package.

Whether it's the readymade package or the DIY components which you prefer, we're here to help. The one thing which we always stress is: talk to us as early as possible in the planning of your project. The earlier you contact us the less likely you are to end up designing unnecessary cost into your project.

Just to whet your appetites, here are photos of two recent projects - one commercial and one DIY. The first one, by New Wave in Kent (photo by Artcoustic) shows a slick commercial Infinity panel installation, while the second one is a nice DIY project by Peter Rose for his bar in St Lucia.

NW_MG_8102-HDR.jpg

St Lucia.jpg

Flyboy583

Nice one. I’ll call you guys shortly for a quote 👍

Starscape Star Ceilings

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
With panel-based products it's relatively easy to make a speaker cut-out, and then if you want a fabric facing to the panel there's the option of removing the fabric to expose the speaker, or leave it in place so that the speaker is hidden.

The feedback we've had is that even where the fabric is not acoustically transparent, the loss of audio fidelity is not a significant issue and is outweighed by the improved aesthetic of invisible speakers.

Obviously, you should aim to position your speakers so that they don't straddle the joint between two panels.

I hope this helps?

JustinT350

That looks lovely. And something I'd love to add to my home cinema.

Is it possible to get an idea of cost?

My room is 4m x 7m roughly.

Currently it has 11 spot lights on the roof, what happens with these?

Starscape Star Ceilings

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Justin.

Were you thinking of creating a coffered ceiling with a perimeter bulkhead? This is very popular in home cinema design at the moment, and looks great. In such a configuration you'd normally reposition the spot lights to the bulkhead.

As a general rule we'd not recommend having hot downlights fitted to our panels, although we do have fibre optic spot lights as an alternative to LED downlights.

A 5 x 3 metre Infinity array might work very well with your room dimensions if you were to create a coffered ceiling. Or if you prefer the DIY route, perhaps 2.44 x 4.88 metres using four standard panels of mdf/plywood or your panel material of choice.

If you'd like to contact me at [email protected] I run through pricing for Infinity and DIY options.

Flyboy583

Order placed :thumbsup: Waiting for my kit to arrive and then the fun starts!!

Flyboy583

Do feel free to contact us at any point for advice. Have you seen the star field generator? It can be a handy way of getting an idea of how to create a natural looking star layout.
I have yes and believe me will be using this! The plan is to use my projector to project the picture onto the panels and then mark.. Saw your marking method to distinguish between the different sized lights.. Will be using that as well :thumbsup:

Flyboy583

Just one question if you don't mind as I can't find the answer on your website..

Can you confirm the size and quantity of lights you get with each carrier tail so that I can input it into the star generator please?

Starscape Star Ceilings

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Projecting the star field generator onto a panel is a method which a number of customers have used in the past, so I can endorse that proposal. Infinity Mix fibre tails comprise:

80 x 0.50mm
14 x 0.75mm
5 x 1.00mm
1 x 1.50mm

Flyboy583

Brilliant and thank you!

Also... Exciting!

1606821818195.png

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom