Stargirl Season 1 (Amazon) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I think I'll probably give this a go, primarily so because you said they've gone for an overarching story, rather than the monster of the week procedural angle, which I can't abide.
Just so I don't have to spend eternity trying to navigate the amazon app, is this available in UHD?

I think I'll probably give this a go, primarily so because you said they've gone for an overarching story, rather than the monster of the week procedural angle, which I can't abide.
Just so I don't have to spend eternity trying to navigate the amazon app, is this available in UHD?

Not that I could find, but it looks pretty damn good nonetheless.

Not that I could find, but it looks pretty damn good nonetheless.

I watched the first two episodes last night and though the picture quality when the camera was coming over the city very sharp and what the car becomes quite detailed.

Verdict out so far and thought the first 2 were more setting the story up, I really liked the opening first 5 min spotting who was who and would like to see more of them characters. What ever way better than Batwoman.

BTW to post No2 some of the best ever series have been story of the week for e.g. The Invaders and the UKs The Avengers.

This is normally something I'd give a chance to but I'm not sure I have the patience for another superhero show.
Not long finished season 2 of The Umbrella Academy, which I enjoyed, but I've had my fill.
In saying that, new content is thin on the ground which means it's either this or repeats of bargain hunt so.....

Watched the first rwo episodes and was pleasantly surprised that I was enjoying it to some degree . PQ is ok but it would be real looker in UHD HDR .

Anyway I may carry on while I'm waiting for season two of The Boys.

Love how the mum is supportive of the time dad and 15 yo step-daughter spend together alone, very likely!

i rather enjoyed the series.
only things to observe are despite being shot in uhd and hdr it seems to only be avaliable in HD on amazon prime, also series 2 is moving to the CW channel in the states so presumably season 2 will cease to be uhd and generally look a lot cheaper than season 1 in budget.

I watched the first 3 episodes and they were excellent with a very interesting story line and high production values. The trailers made this look like another poor teen superhero show, but what I saw was a mostly un-CW like show. I noticed a few little things that bothered me, but the show was that good so I largely ignored them. I also noted that the follow-up episodes would have a new kiddie JSA and that bothered me a little, mainly because I knew where they would go and unfortunately I was right.

This is a CW show in waiting, excellent start, then slowly bring in the other stuff. Did you know that the men of the JSA only had daughters? That was a coincidence. Sorry they had one son who was black of course because diversity, but not so diverse from stereotypes that he was still the delinquent and only had powers for 1 hour.

I slightly disagree with the review in that I "thought" it could (have been) special. The forums convinced me to see another film against my better judgement and I hated every second of it. But the first 3 episodes of this show where so high quality that I suppose could be convinced. I think I really want to watch this show, but I'm fed up of shows being taken over and I have a lot of other things to catch up on anyway.

It is actually pretty decent and it's a shame that amazon show only the sdr as the show was available in 4k hdr I believe

This is far better than it really should be, but solid lead, good story and very well done.
On episode 10 so far and enjoying it a lot.

I haven’t started watching it yet but funnily enough the mainstream reviewers over here in Australia seem to be surprised how positive they could be about the series too....

I think I might need to give it a go :)

pretty sure i read season 2 has been ordered already

Given the excellent production values and decent (from what I watched) story, this would be no surprise. Whatever problems I personally have, it's probably better than anything else the CW has on at the moment and they need all the help they can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the excellent production values and decent (from what I watched) story, this would be no surprise. Whatever problems I personally have, it's probably better than anything else the CW has on at the moment and they need all the help they can get.

Yes, from the 10 episodes I've seen it is completely devoid of any of the usual CW soapboxing about politics/gender/sexuality etc etc. It's just a good show with a good storyline.

Yes, from the 10 episodes I've seen it is completely devoid of any of the usual CW soapboxing about politics/gender/sexuality etc etc. It's just a good show with a good storyline.
I can't totally disagree with you at the moment because I only saw the first 3 episodes. Episodes 2 and especially 3 were excellent. But I'm very reticent about watching the rest because having watched a number of my favourite CW shows go down the same road I have become pretty sensitive this type of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I. enjoyed it

I’m enjoying it as well. Fear of it turning into a giggly teen girl fest were unfounded. Well written and acted. Nice atmospherics

Any one else watching this on a LG c9 in the built in amazon app? I’m seeing this bright line at the bottom of the picture every so often. Very annoying and not on the other prime shows I’ve watched. It is fine when I use an Apple TV to watch. 3 eps in and I’m enjoying it. Nice upbeat energy with genuinely creepy villains.

no more teenage superheros please...

Any one else watching this on a LG c9 in the built in amazon app? I’m seeing this bright line at the bottom of the picture every so often. Very annoying and not on the other prime shows I’ve watched. It is fine when I use an Apple TV to watch. 3 eps in and I’m enjoying it. Nice upbeat energy with genuinely creepy villains.
How have you found the episodes after episode 3?

The thing that impresses me the most is the lead actress has type-1 diabetes... which is not fun in any way... but you'd never guess...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom