1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stargate SG-1 DVD's New R2 Boxed Sets Vs Individual Disks Already Issued

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Thor, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Being an avid fan of Stargate SG-1, I have bought all the Stargate DVD's that have been released even though MGM messed up on the first Season. They sorted this mess out (sort of) by releasing a Season 1 box set.

Imagine my horror to find out that they are now releasing all the Seasons' as boxsets on R2 making the individual disks redundant. I say this because the box sets work out around half the price of buying the individual disks. This makes me wonder whether to buy the next season released (6) in a boxed set for half the price of the individual disks and mess up my collection so far or to continue buying the individual disks and pay twice the price. Or just to give up with MGM and not bother.

After this mess-up I will be writing a complaint to MGM, and certainly will not be buying any more of their disks upon release until they are available as budget disks.:mad:

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds like a frustrating situation - typical of the way these companies mess up their DVD releases. :rolleyes:

If MGM have only just got around to releasing series two, then surely it will be quite a while until series six gets a box set release? Which means a long wait.

Although more expensive when bought individually, at least you get to pay in installments (one disc at a time).

Or maybe you could sell your existing collection and replace them with the box-sets?

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Frustrating though it is, they are ways that you could recoup some of your costs:

1) Flog ALL of your single-disc releases via e-Bay.
    2) Flog ALL of them via an advert in your local Freeads paper or a magazine like SFX.
    3) Mess-up your collection, by waiting to buy Season 6 onwards, in the boxed set versions, but ask MGM to send you the original covers for all the Season 6 releases so that they match up with your current collection.
    4) Complain to the Managing Director of MGM, and see if that gets anywhere, Remember to be polite but forceful, not rude. (I'm sure you knew that anyway.) Suggest a compromise with him/her - you send them all your single-disc releases, in part-exchange for the Boxed Sets, but at a discount. (They may let you do this, just to keep your custom.)
    5) Alternatively, write to one of the many UK DVD magazines, and try to get them to include your letter in their next issue, which then results in bad publicity for MGM.

Hope some of that helps.

I kinda expected this to happen, with SG1, hence why I held off buying the discs. I wasn't happy with having just a few random episodes of Season 1, but all of the other seasons in full. Seemed a daft idea! What they should have done, was release all of Season 1 in the first place!

Also, the Boxed Sets of Season 1, all have the same kind of soundtracks now, don't they? On the individual releases, you had some episodes in Dolby 2.0, some in 3.0, some in 4.0 or 4.1, and some in 5.0 and 5.1. I'm pretty certain that the Season 1 UK Boxed Set has the soundtracks for ALL episodes in 4.0 or 5.1.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Pooch

4. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Having bought all the disks Vols 1-25 and now the Season One boxset, I can understand how annoying it is. Probably wait for series 6 boxset and go down that route.

Series 1 boxset R1 is all Dolby Surrond (Pro Logic).