1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stargate: Atlantis v Stargate: SG1

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Henry, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Is it just me or is Atlantis much better than SG1 now? Last night's concluding episode of the parter was excellent. Much better than anything SG1 has served up this series.

I was prepared to be disappointed with Atlantis but, despite the fact it is a basically a replication of SG1, have been really enjoying it. The lead characters are strong, the premise is interesting, the special effects are good and, overall, it's just very entertaining tv.

SG1 has been disjointed, lacking any coherent and consistent plotlines and trying to be too funny now with Jack O'Neill in command of SG1.

Just looking forward to more Atlantis in the future!

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer Atlantis to this series of SG1 but don't think either are as good as previous SG1 series. I think they should have kept concentrating on one series but after this many shows they're probably looking for a way to let some of SG1 retire!

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    And the cash coming in!!! :devil:

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Seasons 2,3,4,5 when sg1 was an actuall team were great. I dont count the first season as it took em while to find thier feet :D . With richard dean anderson then only having a limited shedual the series took a bit of a nose dive. Now dont get me wrong, I still watch it but I dont think it is as good anymore.
    Atlantis needs a few more episodes to get going in my opinion and does seem a little like a retread of sg1, with the major being a little to much like jack in my opiinon.

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Atlantis is very derivative, but why change winning formula! I agree that Shepherd is similar to Jack, but he pulls it off pretty well, I reckon.

Mackay the scientist is amusing too.

6. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weir needs to go. I hate her. Rodney is cool. The Irish doctor is nice too.

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Weir is decent eye candy. Much rather look at her than Hammond!

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

For what it's worth, I have quite enjoyed Atlantis. The recent two-parter "The Storm / The Eye", was truly brilliant and entertaining, with great effects, a fun plot, good acting (for once), and an intelligent script.

I've only begun to watch SG-SG1, recently, due to the DVD and magazine releases. As such, I've only seen most of Season 1, but I do enjoy it. However, I can certainly see why after 9 years, the show becomes stale. I'd rather long-running shows, either end sooner rather than later, as to end on a high-note, or else, rejuvinate themselves more often. Get rid of some characters, introduce new settings/environments in which your cast can utilise. With sci-fi material, this should be a doddle. If "Law And Order" can still remain fresh, innovative, intelligent and enjoyable after 15 years, why can't "SG-1"?!

Oh, and we're now ahead of the USA! :clap: For some bizarre reason, they've had no "SG: Atlantis" since mid-September. As the show won't be back on their screens until late-January 2005, we'll be about 4 episodes ahead of them - meaning we're getting World Premieres of the series, just like Sky 1 have being doing with "Battlestar Galactica"! Nice one, Sky! :thumbsup:

Pooch

P.S. Does anyone else feel that Season 2 of "Without A Trace" has been worse than Season 1, or is it just me? There's been some good Season 2 stories, but I've been really disappointed with the vast majority. After the superb highs of Season 1, this seems odd.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yeah, the recent Atlantis two parter was fantastic, enjoyed it a lot.

I still think this new series of SG1 has potential, and it will all come together in the end, if only there were a few more off world episodes, the last prometheus episode wasn't too bad, but it is a shame that so far this series has been quite tame so far.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

That's just the usual mid-season break (SG1 has always had the same during it's scifi/mgm production run) so no surprise Atlantis is the same. The cable channel gets good figures for it's weekly shows when the big networks are in summer reruns and they then let the networks new season offerings die down and show new episodes in the hopes of maximising the potential audience.

I thought I heard the SKY1 voice over say Atlantis was a world premiere (they said the same for last weeks SG1).
    However Atlantis has been shown in Canada upto episode 15 so either I was hearing things or SKY might have operating under an incorrect assumption, hope they didn't pay for global first run rights:)

By the way, three out of the next four Atlantis episodes are fantastic.