Stardew Valley

DeanE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stardew Valley.jpg

Stardew Valley is a 'country-life' RPG for PC, it is similar in part to games like Harvest Moon and Terraria. It was released on the 26th Feb for £10.99 and has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam. Multiplayer isn't yet implemented but is on it's way. For more information about the game, check out the website - Stardew Valley

You’ve inherited your grandfather’s old farm plot in Stardew Valley. Armed with hand-me-down tools and a few coins, you set out to begin your new life. Can you learn to live off the land and turn these overgrown fields into a thriving home? It won’t be easy. Ever since Joja Corporation came to town, the old ways of life have all but disappeared. The community center, once the town’s most vibrant hub of activity, now lies in shambles. But the valley seems full of opportunity. With a little dedication, you might just be the one to restore Stardew Valley to greatness!

Features
  • Turn your overgrown field into a lively farm! Raise animals, grow crops, start an orchard, craft useful machines, and more! You’ll have plenty of space to create the farm of your dreams.
  • Improve your skills over time. As you make your way from a struggling greenhorn to a master farmer, you’ll level up in 5 different areas: farming, mining, combat, fishing, and foraging. As you progress, you’ll learn new cooking and crafting recipes, unlock new areas to explore, and customize your skills by choosing from a variety of professions.
  • Become part of the local community. With over 30 unique characters living in Stardew Valley, you won’t have a problem finding new friends! Each person has their own daily schedule, birthday, unique mini-cutscenes, and new things to say throughout the week and year. As you make friends with them, they will open up to you, ask you for help with their personal troubles, or tell you their secrets! Take part in seasonal festivals such as the luau, haunted maze, and feast of the winter star.
  • Explore a vast, mysterious cave. As you travel deeper underground, you’ll encounter new and dangerous monsters, powerful weapons, new environments, valuable gemstones, raw materials for crafting and upgrading tools, and mysteries to be uncovered.
  • Breathe new life into the valley. Since JojaMart opened, the old way of life in Stardew Valley has changed. Much of the town’s infrastructure has fallen into disrepair. Help restore Stardew Valley to it’s former glory by repairing the old community center, or take the alternate route and join forces with Joja Corporation.
  • Court and marry a partner to share your life on the farm with. There are 10 available bachelors and bachelorettes to woo, each with unique character progression cutscenes. Once married, your partner will live on the farm with you. Who knows, maybe you’ll have kids and start a family?
  • Spend a relaxing afternoon at one of the local fishing spots. The waters are teeming with seasonal varieties of delicious fish. Craft bait, bobbers, and crab pots to help you in your journey toward catching every fish and becoming a local legend!
  • Donate artifacts and minerals to the local museum.
  • Cook delicious meals and craft useful items to help you out. With over 100 cooking and crafting recipes, you’ll have a wide variety of items to create. Some dishes you cook will even give you temporary boosts to skills, running speed, or combat prowess. Craft useful objects like scarecrows, oil makers, furnaces, or even the rare and expensive crystalarium.
  • Customize the appearance of your character and house. With hundreds of decorative items to choose from, you’ll have no trouble creating the home of your dreams!
  • Over two hours of original music.

This game is digital crack, fabulous little game. Now, I just need to get married and have some kids to off-load some of my chores. :D

Is it not just Farmville?

Is it not just Farmville?
No idea, never played it. Although no review that I have seen has compared it with that.

This game is digital crack, fabulous little game. Now, I just need to get married and have some kids to off-load some of my chores. :D

Dean, out of curiosity, when you load this game up, do you sing 'Stardew Valley' to the tune of 'Mustang Sally'?

If you didn't, I bet you will now!:D

Dean, out of curiosity, when you load this game up, do you sing 'Stardew Valley' to the tune of 'Mustang Sally'?

If you didn't, I bet you will now!:D
I did!! However, I have since been issued with a court order which states I must never do it again. :(

I did!! However, I have since been issued with a court order which states I must never do it again. :(

I'm sure there is a loop hole.

What have you done to me @DeanE

What have you done to me @DeanE
I am into my second year now, just working on getting more animals on to my farm, hoping to buy myself a horse soon and working on fixing up the community centre which unlocks loads of new things (like the bus which takes you to different areas). Try to time your crops so you can harvest them just before the end of the season because as soon as another season starts, the crops you were growing previously will die.

I cannot believe that just one person did all of this, the game is very retro looking but just beautiful to play and always leaves you with the 'just one more day..' feeling - brilliant.

:rotfl:

Good to see you getting good use out of all that PC hardware in your rigs ;)

Coming from you that makes what you said, quite simply, the richest comment in the world. :laugh:

I dont always turn my pc on but when I do, I dont.

Now I'm watching streams of this.....
I hate you guys. [emoji35]

I don't know what's worse... games about farming or watching streams of people playing them ;):rotfl:

It's really good fun and probably why so many people are playing it on Steam as there is so much to open up in the game and do. Cuurently there are well over 5,000 reviews and the game is rated overwhelmingly positive. All depends on whether you can look past the stylised retro graphics (although I really like them) and appreciate great gameplay.

Can see how Farmville did so well :)
Never played that, but I see this more as a construction and exploration type of game, it just so happens to be based in a village and you have inherited a farm :). I think a lot of the interaction in the game, making friends, even the ability to get married and having kids is why a lot have compared it to Harvest Moon as opposed to Farmville. It is very moreish and you are always unlocking new areas, items or new abilities allowing you to explore or do things you couldn't do beforehand that makes it so compelling to play, coupled with the fact that it is so brilliantly done.

And hats off to the one guy (Eric Barone) who made the game, he will no doubt be reaping the rewards right about now and I am really looking forward to how he plans to implement multiplayer. He has been very active with the updates and patches already in the few days it has been out. Never thought I'd ever buy a game which involved farming, but very happy I did :)

I picked this up as I used to quite like playing Animal Crossing. Boy is this game addictive.

Amazing that one person made it.

Bought this the other day to see what the fuss is about and can't stop playing (when i get chance) - still early days and still trying to figure out the best way of making money etc but loving it.

Farmville was just a horrible rip off of the original Harvest Moon series taking out most of the gameplay for a simple time grinding pay to win system. Stardew Valley is certainly very similar to Harvest Moon (plus a mix of Animal Crossing and Terraria as well I'd say) but does it properly, it's a superb game and I like the way the developer has worked closely with the community in development and the game has gone through early access and final release properly. It's great to see that hard work being rewarded.

I did struggle with the game originally as it feels too much of a chore and you always seem to run out of energy/time before getting anything done but the mistake I was making was trying to do too much at once. I've been focusing on just my crops and then the mines on rainy days, I'm making a decent amount of money and making good progress on my community centre bundles. One simple mistake I made was not using fertiliser which is made from readily available sap.

Just in case anyone was tempted but yet to pick this up it is absolutely fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom