1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning - a Finnish indie sci-fi parody is out!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by miksu_, Aug 29, 2005.

1. miksu_

miksu_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seven years of long waiting and probably tens of thousands hours of work and now it is ready: The first Finnish full length sci-fi movie, made entirelly by amateur actors (except three side roles) and crew. Technologue looks brilliant, especially when remembering equipment used (DV-cameras, blue screen etc). Targets of the parody are Star Trek and Babylon5. The humour is in main role, SW:ItP is descibed as black comedy.

DVD with Finnish 5.1 and stereo sound and selectable subs (Finnish, Swedish and English) is available for 23 Eur (abt 17 GBP) + 1 Eur if paid with PayPal.

The whole movie with English subs is available on internet at 1st October.

Information and Forum about the film, trailers, DVD-ordering etc: Look up at Star Wreck-pages.

Some information also available at IMDB.

PS. If you order DVD, please allow some time for confirmation. All orders are handled manually, and the team is "slightly" busy at the moment...

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    speech less, absolutely speechless :eek:

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just what the world has been waiting for - yet another Star Trek "parody" made by fan-boys with video cameras.

Only this time from Finland.

Wonder how long it took them to think up the hilarious title? :D

I wonder if Keith had a hand in this one. Mr D?

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    Have been waiting for this to be ready for ages, they started work on it back in 1998 so its been along time coming but from the trailer it looks good and the previous films have been great.

I got my pre-order in last week, just have to wait for it to arrive now.

5. miksu_

miksu_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mods: if this kind of advertising is not permitted, please edit/remove this message.

Internet release of Star Wreck 6: In the Pirkinning will be on next Saturday, 1st October at Star Wreck pages.

The humble request of the making team is to get some publicity in media, further information at Star Wreck forum.

Thanks!

6. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I don't know about everyone else but I for one have been waiting for a Finnish Star Trek parody. Ever since the first Star Trek movie came out I've been thinking, this film needs to be parodied and that parody needs to be in Finnish. I eagerly await my copy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    I got my copy of the DVD about 2 weeks ago from them and they have done an excellent job with it and the special effects are pretty impressive :thumbsup:

Here are a few screengrabs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Have to say I really enjoyed that trailer will have to look at picking up the DVD, but surely Warner Brothers and Paramount will want to be suing these guys?

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    You might not be able to get the DVD now as they were only pressing a limited amount and only people who pre-ordered were ment to be getting one but they may still have a few available.

Also, I dont think Warner or Paramount would be able to do anything about it as the copyright laws work differently in the Netherlands, and considering this film has been in the works for 6+ years I am sure they would have tried before now to shut it down if they could.

10. miksu_

miksu_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I remember correct, there was an additional amount of DVD's to be available. Cannot confirm, because their site is under construction due to Internet release. Check www.starwreck.com later/tomorrow, if there are still extra copies left.

11. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Just downloaded it of the site and had a quick flick through it looks well funny. Now just got to find a long enough S-Video cable from my PC to my TV, dont think I could sit at my desk for two hours to watch a film.

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Most definitely not the case I assure you. If Warner or Paramount wanted to they could sue the arses of these film makers.

There is an unofficial hands-off policy with these fan movies, because they are seen to be non-commercial and they publicise the shows parodied. However, I don't quite know how the studios -Paramount in particular- would react if they found out that these guys were selling DVDs.

P.S. Finland isn't in the Netherlands. :)

13. miksu_

miksu_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quoted text from Star Wreck FAQ:

Q: Aren't you worried about legal issues..? The ships look very much like in Star Trek or Babylon 5.

A: We respect the finnish laws and we are working with a legal counsel to observe them. We take legal issues very seriously. All the names, logos etc. have been changed. The world is full of parodies that look very much like their targets. Even the very strict US laws give parodies certain freedoms. If they didn't then most Leslie Nielsen films be illegal. Also, you should note that european copyright laws are somewhat different from US laws, usually meaning that they are less strict.

DVD is available again:Star Wreck DVD -page

14. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Anyone else tried ordering this?

Did you get an error message?