• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Star Wars.

reflectiveideal

Established Member
I think that it may be quicker than people think. You can already download the complete saga in 1080p. Also, films such as lord of the rings are being made available online in HD. The time will come when they are on disc, and it might not be that far away...

HugoFJH

Established Member
Its upto Mr Lucas - along with the Indy films (with the new one out this year, the trilogy could come out as a pre-cursor......hopefully)

andythescientis

Established Member
Isn't there supposed to be some kind of TV show being made, set inbetween 3 and 4? If so i suspect it would be released to coincide with that airing.

Otherwise lucas will wait until new releases sell in there millions rather than thousands like they do now.

I think that it may be quicker than people think. You can already download the complete saga in 1080p. Also, films such as lord of the rings are being made available online in HD. The time will come when they are on disc, and it might not be that far away...

I doubt it's really 1080p. It's probably a recording of the Sky showing in 1080i, and it's probably compressed as well, making it worse than 720p... and for some reason.. I know I am right...

Sonic67

Banned
I think the Star Wars series first started appearing on DVD when bootleg copies appeared.

If someone rips the HD download, puts it on a disk and it appears at car boots it might prompt something.

KeanosMagicHat

Prominent Member
check this pool !! first posted here http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=31096

http://www.starwars.com/community/fun/polls/

you have to register there !

current results are:

That's actually an official Lucasfilm Star Wars site which makes the poll slightly more interesting, especially as it is a limited date poll, 1/8/08 - 1/22/08.

Could we be seeing some movement here, or is it more wishful thinking?

There are definately 1080p *.mkv rips out there: .

It seems there are. I just performed a search and found this one ....

http://www.mininova.org/tor/856353

At 15.28 gigabyte it would seem to be in High Def. How would they have sourced this though ???

EDIT: Just read the description which makes me a little suspicious, "This cap is from a UK channel so everything is in English. The bitrate is higher in this version as well".

This sounds like it's the Sky HD broadcast to me which means 1080i.

PS Mods - don't know the rules on torrent links having never posted one so pls delete if there's any rule contravention .... cheers.

Sonic67

Banned
is that a hint?

I'm not sure. Part of me would go out and buy it. The other part of me thinks that of the six films I only rated two, sometimes I felt like kicking the screen in and I have only watched the DVD's I own once.

It was great when I was a kid, but I'm not a kid anymore.

reflectiveideal

Established Member
I doubt it's really 1080p. It's probably a recording of the Sky showing in 1080i, and it's probably compressed as well, making it worse than 720p... and for some reason.. I know I am right...

There are 1080p rips available because i have them :)

On my TV it tells me that they are 1080p and not 1080i

KeanosMagicHat

Prominent Member

I won't be downloading, partly because my internet connection wouldn't hack it and partly because I'll wait in hope for a 6 movie Blu-Ray set, or at the very least Episodes IV, V & VI.

I would however be interested in seeing the links to one of these as I'd agree that, were they to become widely available, it may encourage an earlier disc release.

I still have a question as to how would they originally source 1080p copies of the movies though?

enablerbro1

Prominent Member
I'm never buying another set of Star Wars again unless Lucas releases cleaned up versions of the original trilogy without Mr Blobby as Jabba. I don't accept that he doesn't have better prints of the original movies than those he put on the "Special Edition" DVDs. I also don't doubt that Episodes I-III will look pristine in HD so it's a shame they're so :censored:.

Honestly, I'd rather see the Indiana Jones movies out before Star Wars or even Bond. You can't know how painful it is for me to say that but I blame Lucas. Why does he hate us so? :lease:

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
I'm never buying another set of Star Wars again unless Lucas releases cleaned up versions of the original trilogy without Mr Blobby as Jabba. I don't accept that he doesn't have better prints of the original movies than those he put on the "Special Edition" DVDs. I also don't doubt that Episodes I-III will look pristine in HD so it's a shame they're so :censored:.

Honestly, I'd rather see the Indiana Jones movies out before Star Wars or even Bond. You can't know how painful it is for me to say that but I blame Lucas. Why does he hate us so? :lease:

We are like a field full of cows and we all need milking. ;)

Yeah.. I could make a single dot on the screen 1080p. They are 1080i, compacted, saved as 1080p, and messed up.. most these rips are worse than DVD.

david.2081

Established Member
Yeah.. I could make a single dot on the screen 1080p. They are 1080i, compacted, saved as 1080p, and messed up.. most these rips are worse than DVD.

I have these MKV 1080p rips of Star Wars/ESB/ROTJ and they are some of the best-looking HD movies I have seen (including a load of blu-ray's). They are absolute night and day compared to the DVD releases.

I have these MKV 1080p rips of Star Wars/ESB/ROTJ and they are some of the best-looking HD movies I have seen (including a load of blu-ray's). They are absolute night and day compared to the DVD releases.

Well, they have never been broadcast in 1080p, so they are deffinately not 1080p. I read the description of them that said they were taken from sky.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Well, they have never been broadcast in 1080p, so they are deffinately not 1080p.

SKY broadcast the HD movies flagged as 1080p/25 which when accessed with a PC based tuner/decoder (not a SKY HD box) gives you a 1080p/25 recording requiring no de-interlacing where as a SKY+HD box sees the broadcast as 1080i/50, one of the effects I believe of using mpeg4 PAFF or MBAFF options which I only partially understand:)

SKY broadcast the HD movies flagged as 1080p/25 which when accessed with a PC based tuner/decoder (not a SKY HD box) gives you a 1080p/25 recording requiring no de-interlacing where as a SKY+HD box sees the broadcast as 1080i/50, one of the effects I believe of using mpeg4 PAFF or MBAFF options which I only partially understand:)

Well I heard that sky did not have the bandwidth to broadcast 1080p. So the film is 1080i converted to 1080p. Well it's very confusing.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Well I heard that sky did not have the bandwidth to broadcast 1080p. So the film is 1080i converted to 1080p. Well it's very confusing.

well 1080i/50 is the same bandwidth as 1080p/24 (actually more). So sky seem to be flagging it as 1080p/25 which is pretty good news if its proper 1080p/25.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom