Votes: 52 59.1%
  • Return of the Jedi

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Attack of the Clones

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
M

MrsMatrix

i cant believe there isn't a thread here!... i guess we haven't seen a film release since 2005 with Revenge of the Sith...

what are your favorite episodes? mine is Empire Strikes back.. Princess Leia is hot!! :rotfl:

MrsMatrix said:
what are your favorite episodes? mine is Empire Strikes back.. Princess Leia is hot!! :rotfl:
Even hotter in ROTJ :eek:

ESB still my fave though, whole Cloud city part with Luke and his old man is just sublime :smashin:

ESB for me too, then ROTJ. Funny how the best Star Wars movies weren't directed by GL :rolleyes:

Mine are:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (10/10)
STAR WARS (10/10)
REVENGE OF THE SITH (7/10)
RETURN OF THE JEDI (6/10)
ATTACK OF THE CLONES (5/10)
PHANTOM MENACE (3/10)

1 Return Of The Jedi (The whole green lightsaber thing :eek: LOVE IT)
2 Revenge Of The Sith :)eek: Seeing Vader on the screen for the first time)
3 Empire Strickes Back (NO COMMENT - We all know why its there)
4 A New Hope (Exploding Death Star)
5 Attack Of The Clones (Blah)
6 The other one (BIG BLAH)

I expect comments about ROTS being higher than ESB but what they hey, its just M/O!

First saw Star Wars aged 7 at Oswestry cinema, preview trailers included "The Bitch" that well known Joan Collins film!!!!!!!

Empire Strike's is the best film.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Revenge Of The Sith
3) Attack Of The Clones
4) A New Hope
5) Return Of The Jedi

...I deny all existance of Episode 1 and it's accursed Jar Jar Binks. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by tha-dizzle
2 Revenge Of The Sith :)eek: Seeing Vader on the screen for the first time)

Hmmm, the first time I saw Vader on screen was in Star Wars (1977)! ;)

For me, Empire is ahead of the others for many reasons with Star Wars (no "A New Hope" please :D ) second. Jedi has some fantastic sequences and the FX in the final space battle still look (mostly) fantastic today, but it's a drop down in script/character treatment - mainly Han & Leia - from Empire, so it looses points there for me. Plus it has Ewoks. Lots of frickin' Ewoks! Waaaaay too may Ewoks!!!!!

ROTS is probably the best of the prequels but they're all misjudged dramatically by Lucas...spectacular to look at, but a bit 'meh' when it comes to caring about the characters/plot.

I agree with Carrie Fisher when she said Han and Leia were better when they were arguing, but I suppose the saga had to end on a high note (incidentally, the saga is called Star Wars, CrazyHorse; there is no film called Star Wars. I'm sure if you're posting about the films on this thread you don't need it explaining to you why the first film was not credited as A New Hope on the opening credits when first released).

I don't have a favourite, it's like singling out one chapter of a book. My favourite episode is the one I'm watching at the time.

The only misstep in the history of Star Wars was The Holiday Special. That beats any embarassment over Jar Jar Binks every time.

Originally posted by quarry2006
(incidentally, the saga is called Star Wars, CrazyHorse; there is no film called Star Wars. I'm sure if you're posting about the films on this thread you don't need it explaining to you why the first film was not credited as A New Hope on the opening credits when first released).

Er, yes...of course I know that. :rolleyes: I do remember seeing Star Wars many times on its' original release in the cinema without the tag: "A New Hope" and I'm well aware of why it was released without the Episode IV title at first. I'm just a little pee'd off with Mr Lucarse at the moment at the shoddy way his company is releasing the original trilogy on DVD and I suppose I'm being purposely arsey about this - I know, get over it CH! :D

The only misstep in the history of Star Wars was The Holiday Special.

Really?!!! I must admit I've managed to avoid 'The Holiday Special' over the years, even when somebody offered to lend me a copy not too long ago I quietly declined the offer...I didn't want my Star Wars memories to be tainted any further than absolutely necessary.

As for SW missteps, how about these...

Some of the additions/editing choices made to the SE's, including the Mos Eisley Jabba scene in "A New Hope" - totally superfluous in that it just offers up the same information that was given in the Greedo/Solo encounter earlier; and the CGI Jabba - even in the second atempt - doesn't look nearly as good as the puppet in Jedi.

The baffling replacement of certain FX shots in the attack on the Death Star, when other obvious miniature shots are left in place in the same sequence!

Luke's girly scream as he falls down the air shaft in Empire - admittedly Lucas fixed this for the second SE release, but still a misstep.

Throwing away the 'death' of a great character as a burp gag (Fett/Sarlacc)

The replacement of Williams' original Ewok celebration music at the end of Jedi - not nearly as effective in its' new version.

As for the prequels, I think they deserve a thread of their own for the amount of missteps taken by George!...but here's a few anyway.:D

Jake Lloyd - don't know if it's the kid who couldn't act or Lucas who couldn't get a decent performance out of him*, but he wasn't very good was he? (and I'm being kind here)

*see also Hayden Christensen

Jar Jar!

Phantom Menace was poorly paced with way too much rather dull 'trade federation' subplot nonsense.

Killing off the best new villain of the prequels at the end of the first movie (Maul)

Managing to get a totally wooden performance from Portman who has proved herself to be a very capable actress on many other occasions.

Badly written, unconvincing romance between Anakin & Amidala, I didn't believe in their 'love' for one minute...which is a shame as it's a major motivation for Anakin's actions in the next film!

The 'birth of Vader' scene - very well done until Darth takes his first unsteady steps off the operating table...."Nooooooooooooo!" :suicide: :rotfl:

Think I'll stop there, but I should add to all of the above 'IMHO'. ;)

Yeah, you might as well stop there because you'll find I don't consider any of them to be a misstep. As I say, CrazyHorse, watch The Holiday Special and it will put all your gripes about perceived missteps into perspective. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, it's just that what you've said I've heard so many times before I do wonder sometimes if these are just all copied from one original list of complaints. Your complaints, and their justification, are almost verbatim to everything else I've read over the years (maybe it's just the one person, assuming a host of different names, I do wonder...).

Okay, I'll pluck one "fault" out and respond to it. You criticise Hayden Christensen and Jake Lloyd yet by implication you have no problem with Mark "but I was going into Tosche station to pick up some power converters" Hammill. I say all three are fine actors and bring exactly what's needed to the role, but that's only my opinion too. I just think that there is a danger of the original films being seen as some kind of Holy Grail. And they're not really.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, it's just that what you've said I've heard so many times before I do wonder sometimes if these are just all copied from one original list of complaints. Your complaints, and their justification, are almost verbatim to everything else I've read over the years (maybe it's just the one person, assuming a host of different names, I do wonder...).

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Yes, from what I've read about the Holiday Special it does sound truly appalling and one day I may gather up the courage to take a look, but are you seriously telling me you consider Jake Lloyd to be good in TPM? or that the love story between Anakin & Amidala is well written and performed? Ah well, I guess we all have different standards don't we?;) Hamill I agree isn't great in A New Hope but he improved in the next two films I think.

And as for my (actually quite brief) list of complaints (hey, I didn't even mention that old chestnut 'Greedo shoots first'), I assure you that I came to those conclusions almost exclusively on my first viewing of each film. The fact that I've also heard similar expressions of distain from other fans/filmgoers only proves to me that many people hold these views and have problems with the films - the prequels & SE's that is. I'm certainly no 'troll' using different user names to post the same stuff around the net...jeez, life's too short y'know?

Has it ever occurred to you that some of us that do make negative observations such as these do so because we actually are fans and do care about the movies? It just irks me that, IMHO, Lucas royally dropped the ball with the prequels and for every good scene there is an equally dodgy/bad one. I am a huge fan of the SW films - the original trilogy particularly and I do like certain things in the prequels - but I'm just not blind to their faults (and that includes the original trilogy).

Tin Hat time :rolleyes:

I only rate Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope. 2 truly wonderful films.

For me the other 4 are average at best, with possibly only Revenge of the Sith being above average.

I own all 6, but would never double dab again apart from the 2 that I mentioned (HD)

Gotta be A New Hope for me simply for it being the one I always remember as a kid and still has that appeal to me from when I first saw it depsite all George's attempts to ruin them.

As for the comments on the Holiday Special - I have seen bits of it and to be honest I was afraid ... it scared me with how bad it was. Don't think my nerves could take watching the whole thing.

The original Star Wars still gets my vote as the best. I love the prequels but for sheer fun they don't get close to the original movie. Sith has some awesome moments but it still needs to sink in a bit; Clones has an amazing last couple of reels but the rest of it is rubbish; Phantom Menace is currently my favourite of the prequels because it has such an old-school feel. (More model shots than the entire original trilogy, shot on film with anamorphic lenses etc.)

As for the originals, Empire is good but there are still too many duff moments for me to rate it above Star Wars, and ditto for Jedi. The original has some awful acting and dialogue, but it carries a weight (some would say a burden) that has enshrined it in movie history, and for that reason alone it's my single favourite out of Lucas' space saga.

Oh dear indeed, Cray Horse. A wee bit patronising there don't you think? The presumpotion that because my opinions are different to yours it's a question of standards. The implication being what? That yours are higher than mine? Cheeky boy.

WildeKarde, I appreciate your fear; someone burned me a copy of this travesty a week ago and thankfully, the picture locked ten minutes into it. Truly appalling with not one redeemable aspect to it (even the Episode One haters tend to accept that at least the pod race and the three-way duel at the end were good entertainment).

Geoff, I didn't know Episode One had more model shots than any of the other films. I do agree with you about it having an "old school" feel, not least because it is pure Saturday matinee fun. Only that and Episode Four seem to have that.

Oh dear indeed, Cray Horse. A wee bit patronising there don't you think?

Yes. :D :D :D

The presumpotion that because my opinions are different to yours it's a question of standards. The implication being what? That yours are higher than mine? Cheeky boy.

Hmmm. I did post a winking smiley after my comments there - if I could have found a 'tongue-in-cheek' smiley I would have posted that instead. Chill out.

My "Oh Dear" comment was in regards to your implication that I may be some kind of 'troll' posting such comments in various threads on different forums. Not very nice that. So using similar deductive qualities as yours, do you presume that because I or any others who hold more critical & opposing opinions to yours are 'internet trolls'? That's pretty weak don't you think?

Cheeky barsteward! ;) (please note the smiley)

I've just been looking briefly at the 'There IS something wrong with the Episode III of SW soundtrack on DVD' and noticed the comments of Scott Wallace and I must say he expressed many of my feelings towards Lucas' modern attitude to filmmaking and the prequel trilogy quite eloquently - his likening of Lucas being a rich kid in a huge toy shop (albeit one of his own making) and using one of everything instead of choosing a few things that serve the story best is a spot on analogy for the PT. I've used a similar argument with a friend who is a complete Lucas apologist and doesn't see any faults in his filmmaking, but he can't see it. Are you like this too q2006 I wonder?
And most of all I agree that the prequels just lack that certain bit of magic that the OT had...and no, it's not because I'm 'all grown up'! How patronising is that argument!

Y'know quarry2006, I really don't wish to take this any further as it's obvious that often the tone of ones post can not fully be expressed purely by the use of 'smileys' and I don't want this to deteriorate into a complete slagging match.

In the end I think we both have a basic fondness of the SW movies, it's just that we disagree mainly on the merits of the prequels.

Oh and you're perfectly entitled to your opinion too ;) .

Don't understand smileys. I would think if the post could be misconstrued using mere words, use different words instead.

Sorry if you thought I was implying you were a troll. I don't think you are; it's just, as I say, I've heard the same things over and over. Gets boring after a while.

I'm sure we do have a basic fondness for the films. It's just a shame that, where someone disagrees with you, you feel the need to accuse them of having lower standards and that they are somehow an "apologist". Surely you can see how an attitude like that might be offensive, no?

I think, if you truly don't want to take this any further (and I would be glad if you didn't because I don't really care for the tone of your argument - dis the films all you want, but don't dis me, okay?) it be best that you just let this post be a response to your comments and leave it there (as you say, we won't reach agreement anyway. Just a shame it couldn't have been done in a more civil manner.).

For me it has to be The Empire Strikes Back, the only thing that spoils the film is lukes elasticated face at the end.... nooooooooooohhh :D

quarry2006 said:
I didn't know Episode One had more model shots than any of the other films. I do agree with you about it having an "old school" feel, not least because it is pure Saturday matinee fun. Only that and Episode Four seem to have that.
Phantom Menace and the original Star Wars movie both seem to stand alone in the SW universe. Neither movie seamlessly migrates to the next chapter, as both Empire and Clones have very a different feel to the episodes which preceded them. The first movie of each trilogy ends with a celebration sequence that, when viewed in the context of the saga, seems to be quite optimistic and maybe even naive, although the reworked Emperor's theme that's used in Phantom Menace's celebration is a delightfully subversive touch.

Lucas deliberately riffed on Ep IV's medal ceremony for the end of Phantom Menace; indeed, a lot of the movie plays as a megamix of some key sequences and shots from the originals. That's why I like it so much. Yeah it's got Jar-Jar, but so much of it is familiar, like the Tatooine locales, the mutliple end battles and the speeder bike/death star trench mash-up that is the pod race. Even little Anakin's outfit is a mini version of what Luke had on in the original film.

And right at the beginning of the first film in each trilogy, you have a ship being taken in to the belly of a larger ship: the republic ship lands inside the 'rebel' federation ship in Phantom Menace while the rebel blockade runner is consumed by a Star Destroyer in Star Wars. It's Lucas' ability to take these same situations and keep them fresh (I think he uses a 'musical notes' analogy when quizzed about this) that keeps me a fan of all the Star Wars films - yes, even Attack Of The Clones (only just though).

drunkenmaster said:
For me it has to be The Empire Strikes Back, the only thing that spoils the film is lukes elasticated face at the end.... nooooooooooohhh :D
:clap: I burst out laughing every time I see Hamill's gurning mug! I love the Star Wars movies, but I'm grateful that I can actually see the flaws in the original films as well as the prequels. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom