1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

star wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by grahamricho, Jan 10, 2002.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    does the bass on the pod racing scene shake your sub to death????my sub is kef thx been fed by a denon avca1d ampthx and when playing at less than thx levels it shakes it and vibrates it?and makes a racket,dont now what it would do at thx reference levels?

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I can't help with the sub problem but could someone explain what these THX levels are and how you measure them.

Allan

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The THX reference standard states each speaker should be set to a 75db level using a reference test tone. This level is not a maximum or a minimum volume a movie will play at. So dont be shoked when you set your speakers to 75db and the Death Star suddenly explodes at 115!
    What you need to get is a set up DVD which outputs a 75db noise. Using a Sound Pressure Level Meter turn the volume of each speakers so they each output 75db's and your done. This new volume setting is then known as 0db. Any change to this level is + or - db's. I listen to most of my DVD at -15db and for a small living room with bad acoustics is very loud.

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BadAss,

Thanks, I'm assuming then that the SPL meter is the sort of thing you could get from Tandy.

An absolute level of 75db is actually not very loud so I would imagine that the specific THX test tone is probably something like 30db below full output level. This implies the system would generate peaks of 105db, or whatever. Yeah, I get it.
    Mmm, what it is is 15db below what THX thinks you should be listening at. The equipment your using, the size of the room and the room acoustics should have been accounted for when setting your THX 0db level. Surely thats the whole point ?

Allan

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    In theory yes, but I guess I was talking more in terms of personal preference. I don't think the white noise test tone is a good way of testing your room acoustics. In other words a small room with bare painted walls may sound ok with white noise but when a movies in full swing it's just too loud, for me, and probably my neighbours. This is my next upgrade, I'm in discussion with the Misses in putting up some sort of soft absorbing material on the opposite wall to stop reflections. Gave her the clap and she coming round to the idea. I mean turned the sound right down, clapped once and listened to the echo effect. Its an instant way to see if you have bad acoustics.

6. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Im sure she is;) sorry could'nt resist