1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by lovemunkey187, Mar 20, 2005.

1. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Finally gotten around to watching this.

It was crap.

Not the film Imust've seen it something like 200+ times but the newfangled bits they've put in. By this I mean the extra CGi stuff when Ben and Luke and the Droids are headed into Mos Eisley and the Stormtroopers on them there lizardy things at the escape pod.

Really disappointed, I want the original version back. The version I taped off of ITV Christmas 1984 (the first year we had a VCR also Indy RotLA the same Christmas :thumbsup: )and watched for the best part of 10 years without wishing that there was more to it than what was there.

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You missed the worst bit - Han walking through Jabba the Hut.

Destroyed it. :thumbsdow

3. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Nope.

Just tried to block it from my memory.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Oh dear, doesn't sound good. I still haven't got round to watching the trilogy on dvd but hope to before Ep III comes out.

Look on the bright side, at least it has surround sound - that's one aspect where it beats the VHS hands down! ;)

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I was too young to see the originals, even on tv the first few times. The dvd edition is the first time i have seen the originals for about 14 years, and bar the jabba the hut incident, i still liked them, even though the first 1/2 hour of a new hope is really boring.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I gave the original special editions away (6 years or so ago) havent watched the special special editions!

You will probably find ESB better as so little has changed.

7. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I watched ESB at the weekend- there was a scene (with Luke & Han) that I couldn't remember from the VHS... or am I getting old?!

8. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Errr,which scene? What happened in it?

My original Star Wars widescreen trilogy VHS tapes have been watched so many times over the years they were starting to look like the screen in a cinema just as the movies starts, you know all flecks of dust and stuff.
    I transferred them onto DVD to at least keep them in their current, not too good but far from unwatchable, state.

As for the new versions on DVD, probably will get them at some point. My flatmate has them so there isn't much point me buying them until he moves out.

9. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The only new but I liked was after the trash compactor bit when Han adn Chewie are chasing after some Stormtroopers and they go around the corner and theres a full battalion of the white suited non-plumbing bstards in their :D .

I did buy the remastered vhs boxset when it came out a few years ago but I don't remember there being this much extra cgi sheit in them.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    I have the new versions over the old version anyday.

I grew up on Star Wars and have the original version on laserdisc and the SE on VHS. Now I have the DVD, that will be the version I will watch from now on.

A lot of the effects in the original were rubbish (although what do you expect in 1977). The bit that makes me laugh is C3PO bad effect when he is on the back of the speeder going to Mos Eisley. He is standing up half way through the speeder. Even the SE version of the effect wasn't right. They made it look much better in the new version.

11. wiggis

wiggis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The worst bit has to be Greedo shooting first, i mean come on talk about ruining a film!!

Second place has to go to ROTJ, at the end replaceing vader's ghost with Haydon. Whats that about?

Third is the Jabba bit, althought this did improve slightly between VHS and DVD releases its still unbelievable due to the size of Jabba, he is just too small when you compare him to ROTJ.

There was a few nice touches such as sand stains on the storm troopers armour and the extra Alliance ships attacking the deathstar, nothing major but nice touches non the less.

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    You are suppose to be be seeing Anakin before he turned evil and a still a Jedi. They had to make it match the prequals. I felt sorry for the actor who played the Ghost who now doesn't appear in the films.

I have always thought Jabba as basically a Slug. I have just accepted that over the years between ANH and ROTJ he just grows bigger like what a slug does.

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Thats the conclusion if have also come to.

With the special editions the bits i dont like are the Greedo shooting first, the stupid little creature things when they first get to Mos Eisley and the changing of the original ROTJ ending Ewok song, i really liked the original version of the song not this one. The rest i could personally take or leave.

14. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    They also changed the Emperor in ESB to Ian McDiarmid and changed his lines slightly to make it more blatant what he was talking about.
    Changing the face was good as the oringinal looked terrible, but I don't think they should have changed the lines.

15. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I was a fan of the originals and hated the SE VHS release but must say I have been plesently surprised by the DVD release....

There are a few :thumbsdow moments but IMO, overall the changes are generally for the better.

16. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ESB- :thumbsup: for the scenes in the cloud city where they look out of the windows and stuff and see more of the city instead of them just being blank walls.

ROTJ- :thumbsdow for the song and dance routine(OH MY F :censored: G GOD WHY???) I nearly switched it off at this stage. and as has been said the replacement of Anakins ghost.

Wish they'd rerelease but in a 77/80/83 special edition set.

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Still haven’t seen the dvd release yet but don’t think I’ll be too bothered about the changes. Some people get far too upset about these things imo!

18. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I suppose there is a certain degree of nostalgia and rose tintedness with me and these films, as a child I wanted to be Han Solo and I had all of the toys (well nearly all of them) and as such they were a huge part of my formative years.

19. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least I still have the THX laserdiscs of the original; the sound mix for the Star Wars episode IV as somewhere around six different types of mixing process from a Mono mix on 35mm film a Dolby stereo 35mm version and the road show 70mm Dolby stereo six-track with baby sub bass track!

Then in 1993 for the THX laserdisc release Ben Burtt and co went to work on it again for now there was 4 different soundtrack versions of the film; and upon listening for myself I have to say it’s not bad at all I liked it. :thumbsup:

But what’s this Star Wars special edition trilogy seams that the mix as now entered a fifth version, now this is there film but it’s what we the fans what do we think of it.
    [​IMG]
    The DVD representing a sixth soundtrack version, THX digitally mastered Star Wars special edition Dolby digital six-track surround-EX and having four versions of the film myself Star Wars 1982 laserdisc pal versions pan & scan analogue audio Dolby stereo and the 1993 THX laserdisc Star Wars definitive collection Dolby stereo THX laserdisc Star Wars special edition Dolby digital six-track. :thumbsdow

[​IMG]

And now a doubt this will ever be the last time the film will go though a seventh mix, because I’ll be swing from the chandler? :(
    [​IMG]
    I like to see Star Wars a new hope 1977 version in 70mm six-track Dolby stereo with baby boom! Well maybe one day? :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    But till now I’ll have to stick with what I’ve got…. :boring:
    [​IMG]
    I’m a former cinema projectionist. :)
    [​IMG]
    Cheers

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,540
    One of my favourite additions is the 'doink' they added when the stormtrooper bashes his head on the door frame when entering the room with c3po and r2d2 in it (after the trash compactor).
    Shows they have a sense of humour.

21. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there clones AKA Jungo-Fett… and tend to bump in to things…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life’s easy for jungo the moneys good takes long vacations to other worlds, he has a nice apartment on Kamino he has a son that looks like him and they both enjoy each others company…

cheers :thumbsup:

Ashley...