Star Wars: Which Version Of The Original Trilogy Do You Want On DVD.

Which version of episodes 4, 5, and 6 would you prefer.

• The original as it was.

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • The SE with extra scenes.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Both, either together in same set or seperate

Votes: 56 62.2%

• Total voters

Garrett

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk on the above here so if they were only relesing one version which one would you want.

I'd like both as well, but if I had to pick one.... That's really tough.

The originals are great, but have some ropey effects.

The SEs have much better effects but parts of film are spoiled because of them.

So I guess I'd have to a purist and go for the originals :)

I don't want the special edition i want the original and the new talked about special edition which removes the greedo shoots first scene and all those annoying screams of Luke as he falls down shafts etc, sooooo until i hear news of a release date for this new special edition theyre workin on i can't take part in the poll.

I hope Garrett doesn't mind but I added two extra fields as it was tough to say just one or the other.

U can't get seamless branching with the old and new because most of the music and sound effects have been tinkered with it wouldnt work.

yeah, i go for the choice of both. Branching isnt really a possibility by the sounds of it

ad

Ok, changed to reflect the fact it can't be seemlessly branched.

Does both separate editions mean them bringing out the original and SE then you have the choices?

Originally posted by Garrett
Does both separate editions mean them bringing out the original and SE then you have the choices?

Thats what i took it as..... would be nice if we got a collectors box which had both of them..... but if this were to come of, i suspect that there would be separate releases and we would have to buy both

ad

Think George Lucas has said that they original releases would never be released on dvd so I think it is down to the 1998 Special Editions or never versions with some better effects like fixing the frame jump when the lightsabers come out.

Bit confused here.........

I have seen alot of criticism of the newer versions on these forums (not by you guys!!???!?! :rolleyes: ) but although its early doors I've got a feeling, most people are gonna want to see both editions. Seems abit strange.

I guess, ideally everyone wants to see the best of the best and take bits from each to make their own perfect copy :zonked: :zonked: :laugh:

Stace :D

By the way....I want the originals....but as they probably won't be released I'll settle for the SE.

George Lucas has said the original release doesn't exist anymore, so unless someone can find a pristine copy of the original film, it isn't going to happen. And before anyone says it, copying bits off VHS or LD isn't going to cut it.

*somone* must have an original print, what did they use to make the remasterd version?... :)

Originally posted by cybersoga
*somone* must have an original print, what did they use to make the remasterd version?... :)

Depends on the level of "remastering"...

Actually this entire poll is a bit of a moot point really, the originals ain't gonna happen.

Why does George even bother meddling with em, i think he should just remake the originals, i'm sure they can make em lifeless and soulless and keep em in line with the current batch of new Star Wars films.

Think of all the money to be made from new merchandising of those doll figures, Han could be played by Robbie Williams with Leia being played by Britney Spears, it could have musical numbers added and u could then go back and do special editions of episodes 1 to 3 with added musical numbers just to tie in with episodes 4 to 6.

Go on george remake emmmmmmm u can have Ewan playing Obi Wan as an old man, ((we all know Ewan loves a song or 2 as well)), and all those continuity errors would vanish forever, no more arguments over greedo shooting first cos this time u can change the character to Jar Jar Binks and have Han shoot first, the audience will cheer and itll be worth an extra 100 million at the box office.

P.S. i like the newer films.

I want the versions including or without the following;

Ep IV: Get rid of that pointless Jabba & Han scene, (But I don't care who shot 1st)

EP V: I want Vader to say 'Bring my Shuttle' again instead of that bad voiceover- What was Lucas thinking????

Ep I & Ep II: Get rid of Jar Jar Binks, PERIOD!!! (err, that's wishful thinking, but I can dream can't I???)

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
U can't get seamless branching with the old and new because most of the music and sound effects have been tinkered with it wouldnt work.

Why exactly wouldn't it work?

Cos of the different musical cues and sound effects its impossible, with scenes yes but with different musical cues and so many added sounds it would be impossible, take into account all the work done to remove matte lines and improve each visual shot, ur talkin about almost the entire film has been altered in some way or another, no way can u do branching with that.

I don't believe they would bother, but they could surely use the original Dolby Stereo track and the newer Dolby Digital track tied to the version being shown. T2 had branching, 3 tracks and a commentary.

IMHO special editions were a definite improvement. Also, the whole new 'who shoots first' sequence is more in keeping with Hans' character anyway.

Personally though, the latest 2 Star Wars films have put me off the whole franchise anyway. The LOTR films have shown how this kind of thing should be done.

RDB

U miss the point Han was a rogue he would have shot first no hesitation, he gained morals later on in the film so havin him shoot last spoiled his character.

Good point....I never really thought of it that way. Though I probably wouldn't even have noticed the change if it wasn't for the whole fuss surrounding it.

Still prefer the tarted up special effects in the SE's.

RDB :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom