1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Trilogy's audio commentarys

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Stinja, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    I'm surprised no-ones mentioned these yet? Unless they were footnotes in another thread.

Anway, i've struggled through some of the audio commentary of Star Wars ep4, and frankly i'm very dissapointed. It sounds like they got 4 tracks recorded and then spliced them together, rather than have all the commentators sit in a room and chat back and forth. It's all very stilted, dosnet flow well, and has tenuous links to whats happening on screen at times.

Is it worthwhile going through Empire and Jedi, or more of the same?

2. star base 110

star base 110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the comentaries were recorded seperately, with Mr Lucas last. So if you found ANH bad then I wouldn't bother with the others.
    This was a publicity stunt to sell the box sets, the relationships between the contributers (and those that have not participated, Harrison Ford Mark Hamill etc) has broken down that it was felt not a good idea to put them together for 6 hours or more.
    There may be new commentaries for the 6 episode box set. :oops:

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    the commentary on ESB is awful. Irvin Kirshner doesn't have what I'd consider a listener-friendly voice anyway, but all he does is describe what's happening onscreen and constantly go on about how he wanted humour in the film and explain all the "gags" the audience might not pick up on... yet they're all painfully blatant :rolleyes:
    He's really off-putting and distracts a lot from the other participants, although on the whole every Star Wars commentary has leaned heavily on the tech side, which can be hard work for some, especially when the group chemistry gets taken away by recording everyone solo

4. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Wasn't he George Lucas' lecturer at film school? Sounds like a typical teacher... :D

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    EpI and II are just as painful but if you want REALLY bad: Try the 'Definitive' laserdisc.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I sat through the ROTJ one last night and its bad. In George's favour he does show slight hints of humility about the clunky dialogue but Carrie Fisher only appears 3 times, says nothing and clearly wants to be anywhere else at that moment in time. The SPFX guys could be talking about any of the trilogy most of the time, only the speeder chase has much of relevance.

They desperately needed a round table style discussion hosted by some one asking difficult questions (Anthony Daniels of course :laugh: ). Even if most was edited out and they all ended up arguing, at least it would have been entertaining.

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    maybe the world's biggest movie-making SW nerd/geek/fan, Kevin Smith, could have hosted the audio com sessions. That might have given it a much needed vein of humour.
    I think the main problem is that Mr Lucas looks on these things as very precious pieces of movie history and he tries to treat them accordingly, that's how it always looks to me. rather than put together a com with both info and annecdotes presented well a la Ridley Scott or John Carpenter, he goes for a scholarly approach as if he's talking about Citizen Kane or something "weighty" like that. :laugh: How many times do we need to hear Ben Burtt say something like "I used a wire coathanger and a golfball to make that sound"? Its just a shame they can't conjure up the same kind of fun feel that the film's have when they talk about them

They work wonders on insomnia though :boring:

8. buckaroo

buckaroo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :rolleyes:
    This is SO disappointing to read...I've held off buying for now, as I already have two VHS versions of the trilogy. I'm gonna sniff around them bargain bins come christmas time...

...There's no need to be afraid...Let in light and banish shade. :D

9. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I found Ben Burtt's commentary to be fascinating - finding out how different sounds were created and the time & effort that went into the various mixes - although a lot of that could've been made into a separate documentary.