1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Trilogy review

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by HT Dude, Sep 7, 2004.

1. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I have just taken delivery of the (region 1) Star Wars Trilogy Boxset from Movietyme, and sat down today to watch the entire set in one going. I have been waiting years for this to be officially released on DVD and here it is.

The boxset contains four amaray cases within a cardboard box, these contain the three movies and a fourth “Extras” disc. The widescreen packaging is silver in colour and looks really good on my DVD shelves. Be very carefull with the stiker type glue on the outside of the box, you have to take this off to get at the discs. The artwork of the amaray boxes is very good, I have included them below.

There have been many rumours on the web about what would be contained within the films, indeed the films presented here are best described as Special Special Editions, if you get what I mean. We will probably never see the original trilogy released on DVD and the 1997 special editions have been tampered with further in these releases. This is supposedly George Lucas’s final version of the trilogy, bringing it in line which the prequels for a flowing narrative. Many fans will denounce the fact we don’t get the original versions, but this is Star Wars and it’s finally on DVD!!
      I don’t have to explain the plots of the three films, I am assuming that most reading this post will have seen the movies at some point in their lives. Starting with Star Wars: A New Hope, we see the majority of the changes to this film, presumably because Lucas did not have the technology in 1977 to achieve his goals. As explained in the Documentary on the forth disc, Star wars never looked like being a success, shooting was delayed, effects were near impossible to shoot and the studio wanted to close the picture down. Nowadays Lucas has the technology, but he hasn’t in my opinion gone over board, let me explain.
      In this version of A New Hope there are a few shots which have been tidied up to look more realistic, first of all the added Mos Eisley footage from the 1997 version has been tightened. The speeder looks more realistic and the movement of C3 PO is more natural over the ’97 version. Next up is the new footage of Jabba, finally it looks realistic, yes Han still steps over his tail but it certainly doesn’t look as bad as it did. Jabbas skin texture and movement is much improved. There are other changes within the movie and effects have been cleaned and look more realistic. Lightsabers have the same look as the pre-quel’s, blue screen blurr has been cleaned and laser blasts even look sharper. Moving onto the Empire Strikes Back we are treated to the major change in this movie, the discussion between the Emperor and Darth Vader. Complete lines of dialogue have been changed regarding “Young Skywalker” being the son of Anakin. The emperor’s appearance has also changed to include a more detailed Hologram with Ian McDiarmid replacing Clive Revill in the role. Cloud city footage has also been cleaned up and the effects of the Hoth battle look very good.
      Finally we move onto Return Of The Jedi, and the biggest change rumoured turns out to be here, Haden Christenson does appear at the end of the movie as a ghostly figure! To be honest it doesn’t look too bad. Other items have also been added such as the Rancor looks far more realistic with extra texturing to the skin and the old blue screen effects have been removed. There are extra Walkers in the final battle and nearly every effect has been cleaned up.
      So how do the films look in terms of video transfer? Breath taking is the reply.
      All three films have been totally cleaned and restored, there are no signs of dirt or grain present in the print. The image on all three also looks super sharp, as if they had been filmed yesterday! Skin texture is stunning, details just jump out of the screen, edges are sharp without any edge enhancement being seen. Colours are just so rich and vivid that you just can’t believe all these films are over twenty years old. The clean up work done here is excellent. The most impressive part of this is shadow detail, look at the Canteena scene, look at the garbage compressor, Darth’s breathing chamber and the rancor pit, there is simply a tonne of detail to be seen that I was blown away, totally.
      So what about sound? well stand by to hear Star Wars like never before. I had the Dolby Digital Laserdiscs and they sounded good, but the complete soundmixes of all three films have been redone. There are new sounds to discover in each film as well as far better surround effects which extend the soundfield outside your listening position, and that bottom end is just truly wicked!!! Just get ready for 360 degree magic during the escape from the Death Star as the Tie Fighters close in. Or take a listen to the final battle scenes and the final explosion. The Hoth battle just sounds like it was made for your subwoofer and the final lightsaber battle between Darth and Luke just carries total atmosphere. I could go on and on but you get the idea.
      And finally onto the extras and there’s more here than I thought there would be. Let’s start with the documentary, we all know the stories behind the scenes, but you haven’t seen the details like this before. What about Chewie talking! And in a Yorkshire accent as well! The fact Georgie boy nearly had a heart attack due to stress. The complete story is all here and it is an epic documentary. Next is the story of the lightsaber which is fascinating in detail and back story. Where does the sound come from, how they produced the effect, well let just say a piece of film projection screen on a rotating wheel and you get the idea. There are trailers for each film including teasers, Trailer and then re-release trails. Picture galleries just have too much to add here, there are also features on the characters of star wars and the legacy the films have had on our culture. Then sit back for a look at the next film due in the saga and the birth of Darth Vader, watch them make the new costume and see Haden and Ewan practice their final battle. Finishing off are video game trailers and DVD-Rom features. I have yet to get through everything here, and most are that good you just have to watch them again.
      So was it worth the wait, YES! I can’t get over the quality of the transfers, the sound mixes and the fascinating extras. I can’t get the discs out of my player! I have a feeling I will be watching this one to death and I hope my review and screen grabs have given you an idea of what to expect.
      “May the force be with you!”.

Attached Files:

2. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +296
      Nice Review,

Cant wait for my set to arrive, havent seen all 3 films since 97 wheni saw them at the cinema.

By the way what thx trailer is on the dvds?

3. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      The one with the globe and the lightening, which explodes and then forms the THX logo.
      By the way, there are multiple menus (don't know how many, yet). Here is another one from Episode IV.
      The menus are absolutely awesome! The CGI in them is quite spectacular!

Attached Files:

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +86
      Great review :thumbsup:

Did you have any snaggs with the DD Ex soundtrack?

My 3805 didnt recognise it and I only got DD + PLII Cinema. Or am I being thick? :)

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
      Still tempted to buy this even though i'm :censored: at Lucas for not releasing the original versions.
      Whats the Xbox game demo like??

6. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Nice review :thumbsup:

Really look forward to get these myself.

One small question: Is your set region 1 or 2 ?

Cheers,
      Erling

7. klong

klong

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Great Job! Just one question. Does HAN shoot first? Either way I'll be picking this up, but I'm just curious.

8. avsln

avsln

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      :thumbsup:

I have pre ordered... cant wait till i get my hands on them :cool:

9. stephen77

stephen77

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Do you get the original (stereo?) soundtrack as well as the remastered one or has that been taken away from us too?

10. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +86
      Vanilla 2 channel is there :)

11. damoh8r

damoh8r

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      can feel a dose of the ****5 coming on mon 20th

12. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      DVD Soon are "Packaging" :thumbsup:

13. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      Excellent review - been looking forward to whoever posts the first review here, and it seems to exceed all of my expectations at least. Also builds the excitement even more for my own copy to arrive, and in particular they seem to have done great things with the sound as well as the picture. Great job - thanks! :clap:

14. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Off our forums and thanks to Terribly Mauled for this....

"Blooper reel activation:

Pop in the bonus disc

Go to 'Video Games and Still Galleries'

Then type:

11 (enter)
      3 (enter)
      8 (enter)

The reel will start, and run for 4 mins 43 secs..."

:smashin:

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +929
      Totally agree with that, now cannot wait for my set to arrive.

16. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Not at all. Must be your amp settings.

It's the region 1 - Movietyme don't sell egion 2, I don't think.
      And Han shoots second - see the capture I did of the idiotic moment in question.

Attached Files:

17. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +84
      This is a stupid question (so forgive me!), but I never noticed any difference when seeing the special editions in the cinema between who shot first/second etc. So who shot first in the original?

Looking forward to getting this too (have it ordered at play.com, so probably won't see it for another two weeks :( ).

18. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      ...or go to Title 38, chapter 1 if you are using a PC DVD player.

Han fired first. He saw that Greedo was about to blast him so he fired. Totally in-line with his character.
      But George felt that it was a bit too 'brutal' that a 'smuggler' and 'rogue' would shoot first if in deadly peril.
      So he decided to make Greedo fire first - and, of course, miss. Which is beyond believability even if you suspend disbelief !!!
      George makes han dodge to his right a bit but that's also rediculous because the limitations of CGI won't let him dodge more than an inch and who could possibly have fast enough reactions anyway?!! (And Han didn't have any Jedi powers !)

19. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      Order my boxset...can't wait for it to arrive!!

One thing I wanna know...Is the rumoured Natalie Portman added scene included in Return Of The Jedi ?

20. darthbane2k

darthbane2k
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0

For the life of me!

these are all OLD questions which could have been answered months ago, thats right, it was MONTHS ago that the new versions of the films were leaked.
      Just because you all got your DVDs dont mean you're the first with the news.

NO Natalie is NOT in ROTJ in any shape or form and NO the conversation bewteen Luke and Leia about their mother has not been edited.

21. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +109
      Yeah, I had lots of trouble with the believability of "who shot first" balanced against all the other "real" things that happened in the Star Wars Trilogy! :rolleyes:

Get over it mate. It's all just fantasy. ;)

22. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Wish they removed the "bubble wrap" from Luke's seat-belt, in the Snowspeeder! :rotfl:

Other than that, it looks pretty good. :thumbsup:

23. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +86
      Just tried Empire.

When the Dolby intro comes on my amp shows Doldy Digital EX great :thumbsup: But when the movie starts it reverts back to DD + PLII Cinema :confused:

I have de-selected the Auto flag on the amp now and its seemed to have cured the problem. I wonder if the flag is only on the intro and not the rest of the sound track?

Can someone else have a check on theres for me please? :)

24. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      jack daws

Does the Signal Detect LED on the front panel light up? If not, then there's no Flag encoded on the disc. Best to leave AFDM off anyway and just manually switch on or off the Surround Back speakers. :)

25. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      Are people going to be ordering the R2 or R1 version of this film, and does anyone know of any differences between the 2 regions?

i pre-ordered the R2, and i want to make sure i dont get hit with customs

Steve

26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,933
      The Region 2 set hasent been released yet but from the specs I would say there is nothing missing from the Region 2 release compared to the Region 1 release.

Also, I have gone for the Region 2 release and pre-ordered it from Play.com, with the 10% discount voucher it comes to £25.19 which is cheaper than Amazon and Play usually ship as soon as they have stock so should hopefully have it next Friday/Saturday :thumbsup:

27. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      10% discount voucher, what 10% discount voucher

28. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,933
      It was run by The Sun and Play.com two weeks ago over 3 days.
      Each day they would give you a new code for a free DVD which you entered at a Play.com link and after you had input your details they would send you an email which confirmed your details plus a 10% discount voucher.
      I entered the codes for all 3 DVDs and even though I havent had any DVDs I did get all three 10% Discount Vouchers and so did alot of other people.
      The details about the offer were posted in the DVD Bargains section, guess you missed it.

29. hawke

hawke
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Ok, somebody please post the screenshot of Darth Vader's (Anakin's) new (old) suit which is supposed to be in the special features somewhere. This is supposed to be the hottest snippet of Episode III footage on teh entire disc.

30. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      There you go

Attached Files: