Quantcast

Star Wars Trilogy: Pre Order Now

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I would doubt that Fox and Luca$film would allow much in the way of discounting.

A

APPRIA40WR

Pre-ordered it but I'm sure it'll be available for a similar price elsewhere.

Hopefully Play will continue to pre-pay HMCustoms for Region 2 stock by September.

DaveH

I'm refusing to buy it as it is the special edition and not the originals...

A real shame really.

wilber

Novice Member
Originally posted by DaveH
I'm refusing to buy it as it is the special edition and not the originals...

A real shame really.
Cut's off nose to spite face methinks - Lucas won't have anything to do with the originals & the SEs are better than nothing IMHO.

Davep don't forget the Customs risk (and of course some people don't like it the dvdsoon take the cash up front)

Kootuu

£28.99 at Amazon.co.uk now. Just pre-ordered it from them with first class delivery, should I get it day of release?

DaveH, seriously? Are you really THAT annoyed by a few added scenes? It's Lucas' films, so I guess it's upto him. Like Wilber said, it's better than nothing.

DaveH

darthmahon,

Yeah I really did not like the special editions. I am huge Star Wars fan. I have the original trilogy on THX Laserdisc but no AC-3. I have the Special Edition THX AC-3 Laserdisc box set on Laserdisc.

I don't want these inferior versions on DVD if it was the original I would be excited...

It's not that the scenes are added as such it's the changing of scenes I did not agree with...

cybersoga

Novice Member
I'm gonna go with amazon.co.uk, £30.45 shipped by first class and their packaging is better than play. You can even choose "super saver" and get it for £28.99. Play just dropped it to 33.99. Begun, this price war has.

spidermanalf

Are there any differences between r1 or r2, I mean cut wise?

Just wondering as temple Of Doom, has an extra minute or so in!

Kootuu

Don't think so spidermanalf, it's just that there are 29.97 frames per second in NTSC(US) and 25 in PAL(UK), so those few frames every second add up...

Bigmonty69

Originally posted by darthmahon
Don't think so spidermanalf, it's just that there are 29.97 frames per second in NTSC(US) and 25 in PAL(UK), so those few frames every second add up...
And the original film is only at 24fps so I don't think this is very relevant. PAL is generally considered the better quality of the two.

Indiana Jones

Plenty of rumors around that these wont be 1:1 the same films as the 1997 Special Editions, will be interesting to see what is anything they change.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
Originally posted by DaveP
Just over £27 at DVDSoon

Dave
You'll probably be paying £35+ for it from their though after import tax etc. :(

cybersoga

Novice Member
Originally posted by Indiana Jones
Plenty of rumors around that these wont be 1:1 the same films as the 1997 Special Editions, will be interesting to see what is anything they change.
That pretty much goes without saying, they now have a chance to fix the bits that they didn't quite get right with the SE's, not to mention tweaking the image further now there's better equipment available.

Kootuu

Well, things I think need changing:

1) Rancor
2) Some dodgy looking lightsabre effects (not all, but some)
3) Emperor in Empire needs to be replaced
4) More ewoks put in, to make it more believable that they can beat the stormstroopers.
5) Palpatine closing the senate in Episode IV

But to be honest, I don't mind, just as long as it's looking as clear as Indy does and sounds fantabulastic!

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I'm in the process of putting the Non SE Original Trilogy onto DVD from the Definitive Edition box set. I'll have Empire finished later today and will be testing it on my dvd player and tv first, to see how it looks etc.

It's taken me quite a lot of time, and I had to buy the laserdiscs and player to make it possible, but it's been worth it. :)

The trouble is knowing when to stop! I keep wanting to do various things with menus so they look similar to the Ep 1 and 2 releases, but the lower res of laserdisc doesn't stand up to being converted to even full screen 16:9 (the dvd is now fully anamorphic), so having largish motion menu backgrounds from the movie doesn't work as well as I'd have liked. Short menu transitions aren't too bad though considering they're blown up from 2.35:1.

I've kept the laserdisc theme by using the 'faces' idea from the THX released disks for the menus which is OK for now, and used music from the cd (altered a tad to be in keeping with the menu in some cases), though I'll probably nick the menus etc from the soon to be released DVDs and just use the movie from my capture. It's only AC3 stereo, not 5.1 (the OT was never more than stereo), but it still sounds good via DPL II. :)

I'm still looking forward to the DVDs, with lots of added scenes and extras etc, but I still want to be able to have the option to see the theatrical releases...

Gary.

Bigmonty69

I tried watching the original trilogy via VHS on my 42" Plasma the other night.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It was almost as bad as the quality of transfer of the first few Stargate series to DVD. I wouldn't say it was unwatchable but it was pretty poor quality.

The sound was good though.

R

RossG

I must have seen Star Wars, what 20 times at least in my life, I can't quite imagine what I would get out of watching it one more time on DVD or what ever.

Life is short and there are too many film I haven't seen out there to worry about watching Star Wars again. When my kids get a little older I may get it then, however, I'm in no hurry now.

Ross

G a f f e r

Why pre-order.
why don't you just wait till september (i'm sure they're not ALL going to run out). Then You can check what's cheapest at the time (or am I missing something?)

Am I right in thinking that (like me :D) no one gives a rats a*se about episodes I-III?

PPS He'd bloody well better make them DTS unlike Indiana jones trilogy :mad:

S

smallman28

And dont forget if it follows all of Lucas's other format releases of the trilogy there will no doubt be another 4 or so versions to come after this one,extra special edition,extra extra special edition and then the definitive boxset containing all six episodes.
This WONT be only release of the trilogy that's for sure!