1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Trilogy on VCD

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by blue_harvester, Aug 19, 2003.

1. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is a DVD forum, but since there is no SW Trilogy on DVD yet I thought it would be OK to ask this question ;-)

Are the official releases of the SW Trilogy on VCD better quality than VHS? Do they have a Dolby Digital soundtrack or just Dolby Surround?

You think it would be worth getting a set of these or should I just wait years for the DVD?

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    dolby surround and the are pan/scan only not widescreen (and they may have burnt in subs..)

I have a legit Hong Kong Release of the phantom menace.. which was over 2 discs.. p/s and a ok picture.. wait for the DVD or get a laserdisc player :)

Matt

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    If you look round on the internet you can get them on dvd which are basically copied from the laser disc versions and are in wide screen and have dolby 5.1, cool. Picture and sound quality is obviously as good as a laser disc.

4. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have the VCDs and they are about the same level of quality as VHS.

I also have the DVDs, which are ace. I mean really great. They are widescreen (not anamorphic though) and the DD 5.1 is great.

I suggest you track down the DVDs. They are the best and cheapest way to obtain the Original Star Wars Trilogy. I watch mine all the time.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    Some people let their enthusiasm for the original trilogy overcome their common sense.
    Compared to an official DVD, the ILLEGAL, PIRATED versions on DVD are awful. Despite being taken from the best source possible - Laserdisc - their picture quality is worse than LD (as you would expect), they usually have burnt- in subtitles both top and bottom, there are only a few chapter stops, and there are little or no extras compared to the forthcoming official DVD releases.
    The official policy of the AV Forums and my own advice is NOT to buy the ILLEGAL PIRATE DVDs but have a bit of patience, wait 2 or 3 years (it will go all too quickly) and enjoy the official releases.
    There are tens of thousands of other movies which you should spend your money before giving it to the organised crime syndicates which produce these DVDs.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Agreed 100%. Although not sufficient justification, one can, however, sympathise to some extent with the frustrations of folk who don't have Laserdisc hardware and the relevant discs.

Back to the original question.......the VCD sets are VERY inexpensive and the only legit option (aside from VHS) at present. So, I'd say - if you are impatient enough to be prepared to 'waste' the few dollars that each of these costs - and will cope with 4x3 P&S for a couple of years - why not buy them as a stopgap?

7. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Im quite happy to wait for the legit dvd versions, i wont bother with the vcd's as ive never been impressed with the quality

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

It has been brought to my attention through several Forum members, that their has been a legitimate VCD release of the trilogy of the Star Wars Trilogy in the Far East.

However, I have no definitive evidence to back this up. I can therefore only go on other people's comments to me.

If anyone can post anything to confirm or deny this release, then please do so. Thanks.

I originally closed this thread, but because I appear to have made an error, I will reopen it, but must caution people that AV Forums cannot be seen to be condoning pirated copies of ANY film. Please be careful when it comes to this, because George Lucas is very sensitive when the whole issue of the availability (or lack thereof) of Star Wars 1-3 on DVD is discussed on the Net.

Thanks folks, for your help, and patience on this matter. :)

Pooch

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I dont have a clue whether or not there was/is an official VCD trilogy but as for the DVD 'naughty' I was under the impression the 5.1 was revolting and had the centre channel coming from all speakers ir the rears or something..
    Fortunately I'm not a Star Bores fan so I have no interest in it, saying that I do have the Spec Ed LD boxset..haha which I havent bothered to watch.:) maybe one rainy day eh ;)

10. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I can only tell you that the official vcd does exist but as most far east videos look like pirates anyway (sorry but they do) I cannot point to the real one. Don't forget though, the sound is MPEG1 which is possibly the worst surround sound you can get.