1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

star wars tmp

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by gargoyle, Nov 14, 2000.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'v always considered myself a star wars nutter having bought all the laserdisc films and boxsets including the current ac3 box set but to date, I'v not seen the 'Phantom Menace' as I'v never really seen it as a true sequal/prequal but more as a cash gathering exercise by Lucasfilm judging by the mostly negative reviews.When the dvd makes an appearance, chances are, I will almost certainly buy it (DVD'S are cheaper than LD's after all) but should I prepare to be wowed by the sfx and disapointed by the films characters and plot? I'd love to hear what some true die hard star wars fanatics thought of it.

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fail to see how you can see it as a 'cash gathering' excercise if you haven't at least done it the justice of a single viewing.

I loved it - the die-hard fans will say it's not a patch on the original three but then they always were going to say that - blinkered as they most probably are by pre-pubescent nostalgia. But look beyond that and what you will see is a highly technical film with a very strong storyline and some amazing SFX (wait till you see the Pod-Race!).

Its fascinating to see how the story even now starts to unravel and lead up to Episode IV.

The only possible annoying aspect of the whole film was Jar-Jar Binks, and even HE isnt as stomach-churning as the bloody Ewoks!

Great film.

Jay

------------------
    "What the fudge - if ya cant say it, ya can't do it..."

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Leave the Ewoks alone, their great. For cringe factor look on further than the bar scene in the 1st Star Wars (I mean IV not I). The music and the stupid faces on some of the Aliens is just too much to bare.

4. Watto

Watto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gargoyle,
    guess my name won't mean much will it(!)

I had the benefit of seeing the film before hearing all the negative vibes from the media who were on something of a snipe hunt for Lucas (imho). I think that makes a big difference, as no matter how open minded you are if someone repeatedly points out the flaws in something, when you finally see it you'll struggle to get past that.

Personally, I went in there thinking "please, don't have messed up star wars" and for the first half an hour or so I couldn't relax because that nagging fear seemed to be getting louder. Everything was happening too fast, it was almost as if they were saying "try and keep up we'll let you in on the plot later"(!), and I couldn't understand what the hell that lizard was saying!

Then everything calms down, suddenly you can understand (most of) what Jar Jar is saying (and he isn't that bad, he's there for the kids comic relief and people should really get over it, I mean if you can put up with Camp-3PO and R2-saves-the-day-again, where's the problem!) and we start to discover the real story, anakin and the start of star wars.

Yeah, there are cheesey moments, the dialogue ain't great (come on this IS a Lucas film) and the main villain was criminally underused but if you go in there to be entertained, rather than to hate it, its a lot of fun. I defy any star wars fan not to get a kick out of the end duel, when the doors open and the music starts... By the time the movie closes you don't want it to stop, you want to know what's going to happen next, it's all set up for the next installment.

In style definately think "Return of the Jedi" rather than "Empire Strikes Back". This was always going to be the toughest movie to make, and it does show, it isn't perfect and no one would say it was.

I have to say though, the place to see this was on the BIG screen, it's that sort of movie...

5. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats wrong with the blues brothers?

and what's the new box set like?

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

6. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said... Pre-pubescent nostalgia.

------------------

7. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry - you're not getting off on a technicality Gary! You know the point I was making. Because Episodes 4/5/6 hold special memories for us 20/30somethings, the new films are always going to have something to live up to. To say that there is 'nothing' good about the film is at best dismissive, and at worst, ignorant.

------------------

8. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I liked SWPM better than TROTJ. I'd much rather see Jah Jah than those pesky Ewoks. If Ewoks are half as tasty as Possum, I'd like to roast one! Technically, SWPM is so far ahead of the other films too. The LD is amazing! The sound is 11 on a scale of 1 to 10. The Senate is too cool. I predict mass destruction in the next installment. I remember something to the effect of, remember the good old days before the empire... The pod race is too cool on an EX set-up. Anachin is being manufactured too, he has the highest count ever of miticlorons, I hope that's spelled right. My only complaint about SWPM is the diminished role of the robots. I was real lukewarm about SWPM after my first viewing. It was hard not to take some baggage into the cinema! Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe Japanese LDs are better made, my copy is the most flawless LD I've ever seen. The first picture speck I saw was in the credits! This is the reference EX disc too. Those striped face mofo's always occur in pairs, I think Yoda said that. As much as I'd like to boycott Lucas for being the jerk of the universe, I can't wait for the next one! Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    rachel b - it look's like you'v got an EX setup - there are three questions I'd like to ask-
    1)is the SW Phantom Menace Laserdisc still available ?
    2)is ntsc laserdisc capable of 6.1?
    3)I hope to get a 6.1 receiver in jan/feb 01 but at the moment, I'm happy with my dolby digital setup- does the extra channel make enough difference to warrant buying a new reciever?
    gargoyle

10. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was about to reply to your post saying I thought the film was really disappointing and a poor effort but then I realised the reasons I think this is the case.

The first reason is that the target audience for TPM is kids not 20-30 somethings that were wowed by the original when it came out. The appalling Jar-Jar Binks is probably intended as a humourous character aimed at entertaining the children not the adults who went expecting to enjoy the film as much as they did the originals. George Lucas can't be blamed for this target audience as it was we young ones at the time that made Star Wars so successful not our parents who took us to see the film.

Secondly the film was no where near as ground breaking as the first ones. The special effects and sound are only X times better than other films produced today whereas the original sound and effects were Y times better than its peers (where X = a small number and Y = a big one!) The jump in effects quality is not that great with TPM and cinema visitors take the effects for granted, they expect reasonable dialog and plots. The original was so different, a visual and audio feast, that we didn't notice the ropey dialog.

My girlfriend had never seen Star Wars and so I put it on but she was bored within half an hour. The originals are not that good by todays standards but nostalgia and our memories can work wonders.
    Well what I'm probably trying to say is that I thought the film was pretty bad but it was never going to live up to the original films for us fans because of the reasons above. All of the kids I know who saw it thought it was great!

11. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What struck me as bad with TPM was not the so-so storyline or the particularly average dialogue but the dreadful acting. My oak table is less wooden than the acting.

Oh and this is most definitely a cash gathering exercise......or it wouldn't see the light of day!

[This message has been edited by MJ (edited 16-11-2000).]

12. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Gargoyle, I'm using the Smart Jr. Circle surround add-on. It matrixes out a center rear for any 5.1 material LD or DVD, DD or DTS. I take the L & R surround pre-outs from my pre into the Smart unit and out come the three channels. I use a Rotel RB 970BX power amp bridged to 1 x 180 for the rear centre channel. If you like your reciever/pre/integrated amp, this is the way to go.

I test drove EX by using an old Sony 1000 ES Pro-Logic pre to matrix out the rear centre before buying the Smart unit. It was noisey, but clearly showed the effect. The Smart Jr. has a bypass, I've never A-B'ed a scene from 5.1 material and preferred it wthout the rear centre. I've had this set-up since last spring, so I've spun a great many DVDs and LDs by now.

I use a Paradigm CC-350 for my front centre, for rear centre I use their smaller centre speaker the CC-170 mounted on a shelf I made for it. It's most effective when your front and rear centres match well as pans can/do go back and forth between them. On SWPM, during the pod race, the pods come out of the FC into the RC and over into the RS a bunch of times. This LD demonstrates EX so very well!

Try eav.com or laserexchange.com or ebay to get a copy of the LD. It is one of the hottest 5.1 recordings ever! Even without an EX set-up it's exceptionl. I'm a firm believer that Dolby Digital sounds way better on LD. I would put this disc up as exibit one of the evidence.

EX is not 6.1, it's 5.1 +, sort of. Dreamworks is releasing a few DTS ES 6.1 titles, THE HAUNTING and GLADIATOR most noteably. But, they are 5.1 compatiable! I question wheather their 6.1 is really much of an improvement on EX. To me, EX is a rear channel tweak, not a format. It simply is more effective to have a speaker behind you than to have the two sides put phantom images behind you.

If you really need a new amp, get one that comes equiped with EX from Denon, Pioneer, Outlaw, or Onkyo. If not, get the Smart Jr. and a power amp for it. EX is great for all modern noisey action flicks. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!