STAR WARS Episode 8: The Last Jedi - (Spoiler Free discussion)

Rate This Film

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Rian Johnson (Looper) has been confirmed as director of Star Wars 8, set for May 2017. That's only 5 months after the Gareth Edwards spin-off film.
Bob Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.

Last edited:
So that's three Star Wars movies being released within 18 months?! I don't think the geek in me can handle this news...:clap::clap::clap:

I wonder if that means between the main films and spin offs there will be a Star Wars film ever 6 months starting with Rogue One?

I just wonder, what kind of pressure Disney is inflicting on the filmmakers to churn out these Star Wars films in such a fast turnaround. If they are aiming for quality movies, they must have an incredibly efficient movie making model methinks. Perhaps all the films are filmed with overlap with completely different crews...I have no idea but fast turnarounds like this concern me, as I worry if this give filmmakers less room to breath for extra creativity.

But this is Disney and so far their handling of the Marvel universe is thunderously successful and of the highest quality in entertainment too...so perhaps I shouldnt worry :)

Also, in some cases, pressure can lead to innovative filmmaking but only sometimes.

What an extraordinary era at the movies, we are currently living through for superhero and star wars fans.

I've hung my Star Wars hat up now - happy to let my memories end with season six of The Clone Wars (what I've seen of Rebels, I haven't enjoyed, and I've never believed in a Star Wars sans Lucas so I won't be seeing any of the upcoming films).

I've hung my Star Wars hat up now - happy to let my memories end with season six of The Clone Wars (what I've seen of Rebels, I haven't enjoyed, and I've never believed in a Star Wars sans Lucas so I won't be seeing any of the upcoming films).

See you on opening day, along with the rest of us :D.

No you won't :)

I haven't even seen the trailer, LucasIsKing. When something is dead, it's dead. And this is one dead franchise. Even the most cursory viewing of the Rebels cartoon series tells me that.

No you won't :)

I haven't even seen the trailer, LucasIsKing. When something is dead, it's dead. And this is one dead franchise. Even the most cursory viewing of the Rebels cartoon series tells me that.

Quarry, watch the blasted teaser for Petes sake, stop wth this hang your hat up nonsense and as Lucas says, see you at the premiere...and its nice to see you back on the board again, I was wondering where you gone !

I know your stance with GL non involvement, i am sad too about that but its still star wars man...watch - the - teaser!

Ah, I've missed you, Geoff, and LucasIsKing too :)

But...I...just...can't...bring...myself...to...watch...that...trailer!

I dunno, I'm just not feeling it anymore. As you say, the absence of Lucas's involvement was something of a deal breaker for me. And what I've heard or read since then has only distanced me further from the saga.

The first horse out of the stable, if you will, was Rebels and I gave it a try because Filoni was at the helm. But on seeing it and feeling that it was just awful, I've cut my losses I'm afraid.

Tell you what, though, if my son wants to go and see it (he's seen the trailer but didn't make much of it at all) then I'll watch it at the pictures.

Ah, I've missed you, Geoff, and LucasIsKing too :)

But...I...just...can't...bring...myself...to...watch...that...trailer!

I dunno, I'm just not feeling it anymore. As you say, the absence of Lucas's involvement was something of a deal breaker for me. And what I've heard or read since then has only distanced me further from the saga.

The first horse out of the stable, if you will, was Rebels and I gave it a try because Filoni was at the helm. But on seeing it and feeling that it was just awful, I've cut my losses I'm afraid.

Tell you what, though, if my son wants to go and see it (he's seen the trailer but didn't make much of it at all) then I'll watch it at the pictures.

Why the heck are you using rebels and clone wars to guage your expections the main film?! Its like judging what Empire Strikes Back will be like from the Star wars holiday special!

man, looks like we gonna have to force feed you: pay particular attention to the new John Williams material, I repeat NEW John Williams music...if that doesnt pique your interest, grrr...now eat!

I think The Clone Wars acquited itself a lot better than the holiday special! I mention Rebels because it's the first slice of Star Wars we've had since Lucas walked off into the sunset. It's the first example of what Star Wars is like without his involvement (although I believe the addition of Vader to the first episode was his idea...and look how that turned out).

I have restrained myself from watching the trailer, you little tempter you! But why is there a rebel pilot in the trailer? Looks like an extra from the battle of Hoth. I like the idea of new music from John Williams, though. I'm sure I'll buy the soundtrack if not a ticket for the film :)

The trailer is the teasiest of teasers and gives away very little. We are talking about a quick-fire succession of maybe 7 or 8 images. You can watch it without feeling spoiled in any way. In fact it wasn't anywhere near enough for me, so I'm going to run the spoiler-gauntlett of another main trailer (although if that satisfies, i'll stop there).

I too am puzzled why you keep referring to cartoon series'. With or without the flannel-shirted one, this is going to be a bonafide Star Wars movie. Will it be better than the prequels? No idea. But I certainly wouldn't rule out going to see it.

It's not a question of seeing something that might spoil it for me, it's simply a question of not having enough faith in the film to care to watch the trailer. Something which I had decided upon, as I said, based on what has come out since Lucas departed, something to which I "keep referring" for reasons already explained above :)

If you're not going to be swayed, then that's that.

But if you were to watch the trailer you'd see a very familiar raft of 'star warsian' imagery that perfectly matches what we've seen in the other two trilogies. Again, there's little to go on, but there's no evidence to suggest a big departure from the films we know and love.

It all seems to boil down to your personal loyalty to George Lucas, which I doubt is reciprocated. It was his decision, after all, to sell to Disney.

The key person now is Kathleen Kennedy, a long time friend and producer to George and Steve, I have faith in her ability to evolve Star Wars in the right direction and with utmost respect. The teaser hints that for me. And if she fails, it won't be for lack of trying such as the time she supported JJ to move the release date back.

Quarry, you remember Droids and the Ewok series, right? You also remember the Young Indiana Jones series? It still makes no sense for you to bring Rebels animated series into it, they're completely separate departments. Disney are doing exactly what Lucas did, only with more capacity and resources at hand and more importantly, a thirst to deliver as they do with the Marvel and Pixar franchise at high quality (as well as a thirst to rake in the money...which is never an evil thing, simply a mutual benefit). They are capitalising on the brand and that is great for STAR WARS fans because otherwise, the franchise was dead, there was nothing more to look forward to until Disney suddenly brought the kid out of me again whom I thought was long gone since ROTS. George clearly became too latched on and stubborn underestimating the ebbs of time. There is no denying that we will mis his unique craftsmanship and influence but one thing George had absolutely no consideration for, is the aging wariness of the star wars fans.

George was treated rotten by star wars fans but he did the right thing in the end to pass on the franchise and given Disney's current brilliance to allow their acquisition franchises to churn out high quality movies from their Marvel and Pixar franchises (as well as their own animated movies division), I am truly excited for whats to come with the Star Wars movies.

One final attempt to save your soul, Quarry...watch the teaser!

It all seems to boil down to your personal loyalty to George Lucas, which I doubt is reciprocated. It was his decision, after all, to sell to Disney.

It's not reciprocated? Oh, no. My heart is broken :)

You're clearly not taking in what I'm saying but I'll say it again just for jolly: having seen what's come out of the Star Wars stable since Lucas left, I am supremely confident that Star Wars without its creator is not Star Wars. So, it's not a question of loyalty, it's just that I don't "feel it" when I watch Rebels or hear the various tidbits that have come from Abrams (ie foregoing CGI in favour of practical effects and not filming it digitally - two massive advances in filmmaking that Lucas spearheaded and now this young turk wants to go backwards). That and my son's total ambivalence to the trailer when he saw it.

The key person now is Kathleen Kennedy...One final attempt to save your soul, Quarry...watch the teaser!

You've certainly presented the most persuasive argument yet. I don't know whether I'll watch the trailer but what you've said, and how you've said it, has actually given me some faith in what's to come. The only people I know personally who are looking forward to the new Star Wars films are fans of my age who hated the prequels, won't let their children watch them, yadda yadda yadda. Perhaps I've convinced myself that the new films are, therefore, not for me but for those other fans.

It's not reciprocated? Oh, no. My heart is broken :)

You're clearly not taking in what I'm saying but I'll say it again just for jolly: having seen what's come out of the Star Wars stable since Lucas left, I am supremely confident that Star Wars without its creator is not Star Wars. So, it's not a question of loyalty, it's just that I don't "feel it" when I watch Rebels or hear the various tidbits that have come from Abrams (ie foregoing CGI in favour of practical effects and not filming it digitally - two massive advances in filmmaking that Lucas spearheaded and now this young turk wants to go backwards). That and my son's total ambivalence to the trailer when he saw it.

Ah, Quarry how we've missed you. Glad to see charm school is still going well :).

You still dont seem to understand as you keep repeating it. NOTHING has come out of the 'star wars stable' since George Lucas left. You are talking about spin-offs, and spin-offs of one kind or another have been around since the 70s. I couldn't give a bantha crap about Clone Wars or Rebels or anything else that has the Star Wars name attached to it. They are not indicators of how the movie franchise will unfold sans lucas. At all. This will be the first Star Wars movie since Revenge of the Sith and there is no evidence of any significant change to how Star Wars films are being made.

The only difference is that JJ might be toning down the emphasis or reliance on CGI in favour of practical effects where possible- and shooting on film. That is exactly how The Phantom Menace was made. There will still be a bucket load of CGI in there and we will see the same world-building we saw in all six other films.

Now if JJ were to mess with the Star Wars movie formula, then I'd be in your camp. I want my opening crawl, my space opening shot (preferably a Star Destroyer or similar), my JW sountrack, my Ben Burt sound effects, and my ILM special effects. Gimme those, and I'll acccept im watching a star wars film, and the ball is then in Abrams court to show he can fashion those into a good star wars movie. But writing it off before he's shown it? That's silly, but your loss at the end of the day.

Ah, Quarry how we've missed you. Glad to see charm school is still going well :).

Oh, well if that's your attitude (I think the first time I heard that charm school quote was on Only Fools And Horses. It was funny then but that was about thirty years ago), small wonder that the rest of your post went unread.

Oh dear, I know we need to remember how key Lucas was to the whole franchise but it's not like he made it on his own. So the torch being passed to an acolyte of his in Abrams can only be a positive thing, particularly with Kennedy and Kasdan's involvement. Gives it that stamp of authenticity.

Saw the other day that in March 1976 when Lucas with the help of Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz finished his final draft of Star Wars. Scary to think that's almost 40 years!

Almost forty years. It's certainly been a huge part of my life - I really can't think of too many things that have endured and been reinvented so successfully in my lifetime.

The scary thing for me is I don't find my enthusiasm for Star Wars dimming at all, even with the problems I had with the prequels. I can't wait for more saga films and I'm also very excited about the standalone films. I've also enjoyed Rebels, there's some nice nods to the clone wars in there - one particularly big one towards the end of the season. And more Tarkin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom