Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I deliberately didn't buy the previous release because I was always going to wait for the 3D version. They definitely seem to keep gouging everyone for more money - how many times are they going to try and sell us the same film ?

Since then I have invested in a 4k OLED, so I am looking forward to trying this out in passive 3d on a 4k screen, which is much my preferred option of watching 3D.

(I have a PJ witch has active glasses, and I find it hard to watch a film in it's entirety in 3d with active glasses, but passive 3D on a 4k set is a different kettle of fish.)

Looks like I made the right decision.

Last edited:
Does it suffer any cross talk. I went to see it in Imax at Bradford and it suffered noticeably from cross talk in the bottom left corner at least in some scenes.
Possibly it was just a badly set up projector, but I'd hope not at such a venue.

I suppose it's all down to the conversion. Titanic wasn't filmed in 3D but the blu version gets some rave reviews.

I deliberately didn't buy the previous release because I was always going to wait for the 3D version. They definitely seem to keep gouging everyone for more money - how many times are they going to try and sell us the same film ?

Since then I have invested in a 4k OLED, so I am looking forward to trying this out in passive 3d on a 4k screen, which is much my preferred option of watching 3D.

(I have a PJ witch has active glasses, and I find it hard to watch a film in it's entirety in 3d with active glasses, but passive 3D on a 4k set is a different kettle of fish.)

Looks like I made the right decision.

lg are the only passives now are they not?

If I remember correctly the 3D wasn't that good at the cinema.

Personally I found the 3D to be excellent at the cinema, my copy has been dispatched so looking forward to watching it tomorrow.

lg are the only passives now are they not?

I believe so - in fact 3D is becoming something they only do on the higher models of the Oleds now.

I got one of the previous generation at closeout pricing, and I am really over the moon with. Space is now black.

Personally I found the 3D to be excellent at the cinema, my copy has been dispatched so looking forward to watching it tomorrow.
Must be me then.
I saw it in 3D and 2D at the cinema and can't remember any standout moments in the 3D version.
I'll be buying this tomorrow so let's see if home viewing will change my opinion.

can the 3d be that good when it wasnt filmed in 3d?
yes, some of the best 3d movies now are conversions a few years ago nit so much but as mikemag said about titanic thats a great conversion, i think it showed what could be done if it's done right, since then the big budget conversions have been top notch

My copy dropped earlier this week, must say its really very nice, especially for a conversion, I saw it in the cinema in 3d and was not impressed at all, but this seems completely different, on my 65 LG E6 oled its just sublime, didn't see any crosstalk at all and it really just popped, after watching this film god knows how many times this 3d blu viewing was the best for me.

Has anyone spotted any exclusives or any high street prices under £19.99 (i know iv'e not :confused:)

Has anyone spotted any exclusives or any high street prices under £19.99 (i know iv'e not :confused:)
I'm hoping Sainsbury's will be a bit cheaper.

yes, some of the best 3d movies now are conversions a few years ago nit so much but as mikemag said about titanic thats a great conversion, i think it showed what could be done if it's done right, since then the big budget conversions have been top notch
I'm waiting to see the Terminator 2 conversion.
It's going to be done by a Chinese studio with something to prove.

can the 3d be that good when it wasnt filmed in 3d?
Nowadays for effects heavy blockbusters, it's not as relevant a question.
Eg Avatar was 'filmed' in 3D but most of what you saw on screen was generated on a computer - the live people & parts of the set were native 3D, but everything else was CGI (you can't film real life Na'vi in native 3D :)), exactly the same CGI you'd get in a post conversion film.

I'm waiting to see the Terminator 2 conversion.
It's going to be done by a Chinese studio with something to prove.
Yes iv'e been keeping an eye on that one too :thumbsup: fingers crossed for ultimately 3D+4k+dts:X or atmos (if lionsgate have anything to do with it)

Bbcf has this version with a 6 minute longer runtime than the other disc, did you notice anything extra?
Also i was hoping they would have corrected kylo wrens hood errors at starkiller base?

........Also i was hoping they would have corrected kylo wrens hood errors at starkiller base?

You do know about the stick George Lucas has got about changing his movies in the past? :D

You do know about the stick George Lucas has got about changing his movies in the past? :D
Editing errors that i guess they didnt have time to correct before release, if you are an avid fan of the film like me its quite obvious.
Adding in a digital hood vs changing the total tone of the film is not quite the blasphemy george had done to his original movies.

Bbcf has this version with a 6 minute longer runtime than the other disc, did you notice anything extra?
Also i was hoping they would have corrected kylo wrens hood errors at starkiller base?

Not that I noticed... other than the 30 second apology at the end of the film for not correcting 'kylo's hood error' followed by five and a half minutes of credits for the crew that filmed the apology.

Have to say I don't know what the error is (or have had it wiped from my mind) so I'm still living in Star Wars bliss :) (and no, I refuse to google it lest it frustrate the OCDemon in me on the next viewing)

Editing errors that i guess they didnt have time to correct before release, if you are an avid fan of the film like me its quite obvious.
Adding in a digital hood vs changing the total tone of the film is not quite the blasphemy george had done to his original movies.
Some would say they were his movies and he can do what he wants to them.

Almost certain to be one run time is listed in PAL runtime & the other cinema/NTSC runtime.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom