1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars series

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Harj, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    While flicking through The SUn at work today, i noticed a little bit in their entertainment pages about George Lucas about to start a Star Wars film series set after Return of The Jedi, is this all :censored:ocks from the worlds best at :censored: ing? Or is there some truth in this?

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    "Star Wars" was originally conceived as 9 episodes - but Lucas has more recently been fairly firm about not doing episodes 7 to 9.

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I should have been more clear, i meant a tv series based on the adventures of Han and Leia and co after ROTJ, not on episodes 7-9.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Sun - useful for cat litter trays, not much else... :D

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    That's what GL wants us to believe. According to everyone else (eg producers and actors) who worked on SW epIV, it was a one off single film that nobody expected to spawn sequels/prequels. It was succesfull so it did.
    All that stuff by GL about "oh, I ALWAYS envisioned a story based around Anikin....more than one film...it would be a series..." is just rubbish imho.
    (it certainly explains why Luke is allowed to snog his "sister" in Epi IV).

Thankfully it was a successfull trilogy. Unlike Matrix, which was a brilliant stand alone film, until the watchowski brothers made sequels and tried to make us as belive the original "was always envisioned as part of a trilogy..."
    yeah right, well done the Watchowski's. :laugh:

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Wasn't there something between Luke & Leia in "Splinter of the Minds Eye" as well - a Star Wars novel by Alan Dean Foster written after ep IV, but before V?

Cheers,
    Liam

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,166
    I thought the follow up story/ trilogy in book form with the Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade worthy of making in to the follow up trilogy. :smashin:

8. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah that was 'cause Foster didn't know what GL had planned so he wrote what in my (not that humble) opinion, is one of his worst books.

Timothy Zahn writes brilliant books. As well as the Thrawn trilogoy, it would be good to work in the follow on Hand of Thrawn 2 books somehow.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    The fact that no one expected it to be successful enough to spawn sequels doesn't necessarily mean Lucas wasn't planning them.

I don't recall that! Just a lightning kiss "for luck!" There's a heavier kiss in episode V near the beginning, but the brother/sister thing is definitely being set up in that film - for example, at the end when Leia "hears" Luke calling, but the others don't, and Yoda's statement that "there is another".

I seem to remember that their original intention was that Matrix parts 2 and 3 would be prequels rather than sequels....

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,166
    I read so many of Zahns books and Star Wars books I do not know if I have read Hand Of Thrawn is that the one where the SPOILER
    the female commander takes control of the remaining fleet
    ?

I like Zhan's books because it tells part of the story from the enemys point of view as well as the good guys, and although they are after the wrong goal and use wrong methods, their goals are not totally evil to them.

11. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    I enjoyed it when I was 11 or 12. But then I'd read Star Wars (young readers edition) about 20 times by then and was desperate for anything new.

I'm surprised, with the merchandise control that GL had, that Foster was able to release a book that so contradicted GL's master plan. As you say, GL clearly hadn't shared it with him.

Cheers,
    Liam

12. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't remember that in the books. The Hand of Thrawn is made up of Specter of the Past and Visions of the Future and is set something like 20 years after Return of the Jedi.
    Spoiler:
    A clone of Thrawn has been made but the Empire is pretending it's the real Thrawn. Luke and Jade finally 'get it together' in these two books.
    If you haven't read them, do so. Excellent two books.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,166
    I seem to remember that about Mara Jade and you know who. The character I was on a about I think they found some abandoned secret weapon.
    The female commander was in was a follow up to the Zahn’s books by Kevin J. Anderson called Star Wars : Jedi Search and she was called Daala.

I liked both Thrawn and the Female commander as the republics nemesis’s.

14. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The old chestnut about three trilogies is a notorious piece of Lucas revisionism. Many people close to the project, actors, studio execs and technicians - and even Gary Kurtz - went on record at the time this porky was hatched as saying that they had never heard mention of three trilogies at any time when the movie was made.

Indeed Lucas himself is on record as saying that he did not expect the movie to do more than break even, and that he would make more money on the "...science fiction toys..." as he described them.

And if you "plan" to make three trilogies, why start in the middle? And don't forget, on it's first release the movie was called simply "Star Wars" no mention of Episode 4 or "A New Hope". That was tagged on to reissue prints after Lucas had "remembered" he planned to make three trilogies all along.

Indeed...