1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars (R2) slightly confused...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by andy76, Nov 13, 2001.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does the packing and reviews mean by deleted scenes specially made for DVD?? Were they only actually FILMED for the DVD or just cut from the ORIGINAL film??
    Also, I notice two scenes (the extended pod race and pit walkabout) are also included WITHIN the film itself as well as the deleted scenes section.
    Why were the rest not put in and made into a 'directors cut' version??
    I admit the scenes hardly enhance the film but it would have been interesting to see them as they were intended rather than seperate.

Andrew

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'What does the packing and reviews mean by deleted scenes specially made for DVD?? Were they only actually FILMED for the DVD or just cut from the ORIGINAL film??'

As I understand it, the scenes were shot at the time, but dropped before the SFX were completed. The SFX were finished for the DVD release, and I agree, it would have been nice to see them within the film

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The live footage was shot for these scenes with the rest of the photography and I guess some of the effects work was done also. When a movie is being made, rough cuts of it are put together and screened. At this time, many changes can be made, such as removing scenes or taking decisions to shoot new scenes. Usually scenes are removed because it is felt that they don't work very well, or are holding the plot up for little extra gain. Sometimes scenes are removed at the insistance of studios to reduce the running time or to get a lower certification, which offers a wider audience and therefore more revenue.

The reasons for the deletion of the scenes is, in this case, explained in the deleted scenes special feature on disc 2 of the DVD, as well as why some were included for the movie on DVD. Of course the more cynical amongst us all know that the real reason that they are all not included in the film, is so that we can all buy the extra special edition, which will have seamless branching for the different versions, theatrical, original DVD and extended DVD.

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ive mentioned this on another thread. They could easily of icluded all deleted scenes using braching. Why put half the deleted scenes back in and leave the rest out is anyones guess. But its a bit annoying watching the pod race with some of the build up missing and a section of lap two. They should of put the whole unedited pod race on the extras disc and be done.

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    By the rest of the pod race I assume you mean the other two laps. Now I don't mind watching the odd grand prix on telly but don't tell me that the 70 laps in their entirety are worth watching. Boredom does creep in until your jolted awake again by a crash, pitstop or overtaking maneouver. Likewise having seen the extended pod race sequence, I'm glad we had the edited highlights!

As for the pre-race scenes-well I thought some of the alien drivers looked a bit naff when I saw the film in the cinema. Some of them looked like they were copied from kids tv programs from the 70's like magic roundabout or something. Now I get to see mommy alien waving to her son with his younger brothers and sisters in tow with mommy wearing a little bow peep bonnet on her head! Je5u5 H Chr1st!!! what utter and complete cheesiness. I can see why they were left out of the theatrical release. It seems they aren't all 'Yes' men at lucasfilm! When George asked if people thought the scenes should be left in the theatrical release, someone obviously had the balls to stand up and say, "NO George...no...no...no...no....no!!!!"