1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star wars R2 problem ep4 a new hope no EX sound

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by shoestring25, Dec 30, 2004.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    i have noticed that on star wars Ep4 a new hope the sound track appears to be only 5.1 and not 5.1EX as the rear EX signal is not detected by the amp. ep5 and ep 6 detect the EX sigan land output 5.1EX.

Why is that? :mad:

2. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    This has been done on other threads,but basically you have to turn the
    EX signal on manually for Ep4,it is there it just doesn't flag up automatically.
    There are loads of films with EX that don't auto flag.

3. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    you can get a matrixed EX created by the amp but thats not the same as an EX track read from the disc. i looked and the sound format from the disc is 3/2/.1 while from empire and jedi its 3/3/.1 so it appears that the EX track is not actually on the disc of a new hope

4. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    All DD 5.1 EX signals are created from information matrixed within the the two standard rear channels(from what I have read on this subject anyway) it is only DTS 6.1 ES where you can get a specifically created seperate discrete channel.A lot of DTS 6.1 ES mixes are only matrixed from the two main rear channels also.

If you look for the thread within the Star Wars chat re. Ep4 and EX there were some
    more tecnically adept readers that had checked the digital information on the Ep4 region 2 disc and it showed the that the matrixed information was there witihn the audio encoding.

Apparently the Ep1 and Ep2 region 2's which are definitely DD 5.1 EX don't auto flag either(I don't have them so I cant comment from experience.)

Red1