1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars on DVD (Episode 4-6)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Reiner, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't get to excited (yet), but here some comments - can't spare you the intro though:

1. I do condem the manufacturing, distribution and sale of pirated goods.

2. I do not encourage to buy pirated goods.

Not because I feel sorry for the industry for loosing money (or rather not earning more) but because of quality concerns; and that this is partially justified you will see below ...

3. Therefore the post below is for information sharing purposes only.

Okay, so here it goes: while I was on my deserved holiday in good ol' Germany my friend asked me to get hold of some Star Wars DVDs, namely Part 1-3 or Episode 4-6 or whatever you want to call it.
    So while shopping last night I came across a stall selling those at MYR13 (=GBP2.33) each, I felt so ashamed and didn't even try to bargain.

Anyhow, sales lady claimed good quality and 5.1 surround sound though it looked **** on her "Dragon" DVD Player and 14" TV but since they weren't for me I purchased them anyhow.
    Tried it out at home and yep, there it was, the Dolby Digital Intro in all it's 5.1 glory including LFE.
    Menu was static and silent (pretty simple actually) and available subtitles were in English, Malay or Chinese. LD copy or what?

Started the movie, got the THX intro and must say the picture was good. Not perfect, but perfectly ok.
    However the chapter skip did not work, the DVD would instead advance to the next track(s) containing the extras, hence FF is to be used. However chapter selection is available from the main menu.
    The 5.1 experience was pretty disappointing, though the rear speakers made some noise there weren't those steering effects ala The 5th Element. Perhaps just a remixed DPL track was used!?

Anyhow, couldn't find any major flaw while rushing through all 3 discs though the last one (Episode 6) showed lot's of pixelation in dark scenes, but what to expect at the price?

Now they are on the mail and on the way to one happy bunny in Germany ... given that customs will not "intercept" them.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SW DVDs out there have been copied from AC-3 LaserDisc.

I understand why people are after these discs, after all Lucas said they wont be released for a long time. However what would bother me is the question of where the money is going. These are not kids churning out copies in their bedrooms.

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I brought them online at a site that is now closed, paid 9.99 each for them. I did struggle with the point of where the money is going, but having a better than VHS copy that doesn't deteriorate won me over. Lucas hasn't lost anything coz when they get released I will have my pre-order in quickly.

I do not condone piracy in any way but it would be nice if back catalogue stuff was released sooner. Lucas could so easily have put these out in the standard editions with no extras and people would have paid 15.00 for them no problem, yeah we would have bitched but then we would also buy the 2 disk ultimate editions when they got released, he would make an even bigger fortune.

I read somewhere recently that Lucas has said he wants the DVD's to be released in the story order. That would mean Attack of the Clones next, then episode 3. As ep3 is not due in cinemas until 2005, we could have a long time to wait for the classic trilogy. Can't really blame people for being tempted by dodgy copies.

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    You struggled with where the money was going ?

In light of the tragic events of the past few weeks perhaps you could think more about whats happening with the money for these copies.

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Good point, but I don't think Bin Laden is pressing bootleg DVD's.

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    He himself may not be but copywright piracy ( be it film, music or computer game ) is big business.

Its no longer a bloke on Blackpools golden mile selling some films he made by taking a video camera into the cinema or tape to tape spectrum games in some kids bedroom !

Bootleg DVDs are big business, the person you buy them off may not be terrorists or linked with major crime, but somebody in the chain from them being made to you buying them will be connected.

7. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Your points are all well made.

As I said before, I do not condone copyright theft in anyway. My original comment was supposed to be slightly humorous, guess it didn't come off that way. I have 3 pirate DVD and over 300 originals and an extensive video game collection, which spans many formats. I used to program video games back on the C64, so have always been against people getting ripped off via stolen royalties etc.

The thing is, these things are out there and easily obtainable. If I wanted I could have the Indiana Jones films and the Back to the future trilogy but I do not. The only way it's gonna die off is if people stop buying. No matter how you and I may feel, this is not gonna happen. If the companies released the films, people such as myself would not solicit them from other sources, although this is by no means an excuse.

Didn't mean to cause any offence, sorry :(

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Where they come from:

Most plants are run buy syndicates from Hong Kong, however they have "outsourced" the operation to other countries like e.g. Malaysia (right here "under my nose") and Philippines, there are others, too.
    This is a crimial organisation which is not reluctant to threaten or kill anybody going up against them.

According to a report I read in 'Times' magazine some while back in some countries even the authorities are involved (can't recall to be sure, but I think it was Cambodia where the Army (!) provides transportation and security).

One guy hunting down the the people behind entered a plant here in Malaysia to gather evidence just to get caught and had to watch the informant being beaten up while the policemen just stood by as his life was threatend if he would call for assistance.

However, as the machinery is imported (mainly from Germany) me wonders how they get into the country? Sure, there are ways but they are not easy to hide in a suitcase either!