Star Wars in HD

Scapegoat

Just got HD - have I missed the saga in HD?

Bachstrad

Novice Member
nope, it's repeated, frequently!! I think sky are getting their moneys worth!
But you did miss them all on the same day! In production order and in timeline order! That was some event and clogged most peoples planners for a while! :smashin:

ATB

Max

Starburst

Novice Member
Now if we only had some more hard drive space from somewhere to keep those 6 movies without buying a new hard drive....
:)

Bachstrad

Novice Member
Now if we only had some more hard drive space from somewhere to keep those 6 movies without buying a new hard drive....
:)
But we haven't! :D

ATB

Max

Lord Jerec

Novice Member
But you did miss them all on the same day! In production order and in timeline order! That was some event and clogged most peoples planners for a while! :smashin:

ATB

Max
They've been on my HDD ever since, and will stay there until I get the Blu Ray versions!

C225

Distinguished Member
Ive been trying to get them all for 2 months, Ive just got the 5th out of 6 but the phantom menace hasnt been on the hd channels in 3 months

Its on, on monday:thumbsup:

Tarbat

Ive been trying to get them all for 2 months, Ive just got the 5th out of 6 but the phantom menace hasnt been on the hd channels in 3 months
FILM: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
On: Sky Movies HD2 (312)
Date: Monday 16th April 2007 (starting in 3 days)
Time: 12:00 to 14:15 (2 hours and 15 minutes long)

dspa1

Could any1 with a standard hard drive give us a clue as to the % used for each movie please?

many thanks
(im assuming you can fit all 6 movies on the Harddrive at once!! ???)

PS they are being re-shown (twice) : Sky Movies HD2

16/04/2007 12:00 Ep1
17/04/2007 12:00 Ep2
18/04/2007 12:00 Ep3
19/04/2007 12:00 Ep4
20/04/2007 12:00 Ep5 (warning only 1 showing of this)
21/04/2007 12:00 Ep6

[source : Digiguide]

Phragzy

(im assuming you can fit all 6 movies on the Harddrive at once!! ???)
I had recorded all 6 when they were on new years day. I have a standard HDD so no worries there. Unfortunately i do not remember what % they used as they have since been deleted.

acf

I've still got Ep2 and Ep3 on mine, think off the top of my head they are about 14% and 12%. I cancelled the recording at the end of Ep3 so saved about 20 minutes of adverts.

Starburst

Novice Member
I recorded National Treasure (SMHD2) for comparison with my older SM1HD version and it's half the bitrate (7% compared to 14%) so much as I hate to say it I fear the worse for the latest broadcasts of the movies:(

dspa1

I recorded National Treasure (SMHD2) for comparison with my older SM1HD version and it's half the bitrate (7% compared to 14%) so much as I hate to say it I fear the worse for the latest broadcasts of the movies:(
I hope this is not the case....:(

Though I believe SM2HD has moved freq. Hopefully they will give it a little more bandwidth.

acf

I've still got Ep2 and Ep3 on mine, think off the top of my head they are about 14% and 12%. I cancelled the recording at the end of Ep3 so saved about 20 minutes of adverts.
Just got home and checked. Ep2 14%, recorded 12th Dec, Ep3 12% recorded N/Y Day.

GregMarst

Standard Member
Though I believe SM2HD has moved freq. Hopefully they will give it a little more bandwidth.[/QUOTE said:
Can anyone confirm this? - I have given up watching anything on SM2HD. Would be great if it were up to SM1HD standard.

Greg

dspa1

Well The Phantom Menace was on yesterday, I had a quick look and I have to say... im not that impressed with the picture quality.

I suspect that being on HD2 that it had a lower bit rate than when it was on HD1

I hope they them on Anytime with a high bit rate.

TranceFan

HD2 definitely not as good as HD1 broadcasts. really p!ssed off as phantom menace AND AOTC took up a measly 6% HD space, roughly HALF of the original broadcasts bitrate (broadcast when I didnt have HD), anyone know anyone at sky to complain or demand a repeat on HD1?

Also look at the crap on HD1, why arent these Z-movies on HD2 and the good movies on HD1?

Chris5

I missed Ep2 17/04/2007 12:00 due to a failed recording. any ideas when it is back on again?

Thanks
Chris

W

Wuss

Well The Phantom Menace was on yesterday, I had a quick look and I have to say... im not that impressed with the picture quality.

I suspect that being on HD2 that it had a lower bit rate than when it was on HD1

I hope they them on Anytime with a high bit rate.
I only recently had Sky HD installed and I was really pleased when I saw all six films in one week. I watched the first ten minutes of Episode One and I had to turn it off - the picture quality is dreadful! I flicked over to a standard Def movie channel and on my Panasonic PX600 the standard movie channel looks better than the Episode 1 HD recording!

Not happy at all :mad:

What the hell are Sky playing at? You can't charge all this money for HD and then reduce the bit rate on one of the only two HD movie channels - it's outrageous...

Mark.

WATTS

The harsh truth is there is no room to save all 6 movies and have a flexible planner. :(

I watched Ladder49 saved on my planner from HD2 and the quality was crap compared to HD1 movies.

Do sky actually think we are stupid or something and we wont notice?

Maybe they should re advertise the HD movies as...

Missed your favourite movie on SKY HD1?
DONT WORRY!! Sit back, relax and watch
it in lower quality bitrate on HD2!

Disclaimer: Sky takes no responsibility for lower quality bitrate transmissions because we believe the consumer can't tell the difference anyway!

DUH!!

danvitale

Novice Member
Chaps... Star Wars HD1 (HD movies 9) sizes for reference:

I recorded all six films on my 500gb SkyHD box on New Years Eve and it takes up a total of 36%. Considering that 140gb of that HDD is taken up by anytime, that means the saga takes up 129gb of total space, thus 21gb of space per movie on the higher bit rate channel.

So if you have a normal 160gb capacity, you'll be taking up 75% of your STB if you want to record the whole of the Star Wars saga and dont want to upgrade your STB HDD. Ouch!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett