Star Wars II - Censored in the UK!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This will probably come as a shock to some of you, but yesterday - 7th May 2002 - the British Board of Film Classification officially censored "Star Wars II".

The film has been cut by one second, to remove the sight of a head butt. It will therefore be officially released in a cut "PG" version only, both to UK cinemas, and eventual DVD/VHS release.

An uncut "12" certificate was offered to 20th Century Fox, but was rejected.

The film runs for 2hrs 22 minutes, making it the longest Star Wars film released so far!!

Pooch

Shame about the cut, although there are rumors on US sites that the DLP cinemas 'may' be showing the film uncut. This is not confirmed.

Still a one second cut is not something to be worried over I think as it should be on the region 1 DVD.

STAR WARS FEVER IS HERE AGAIN AND I'M ENJOYING IT EVERY DAY!!

:D :D :D

This is usually a problem because of the incompatibility of US and UK classifications. I remember films like Batman Forever being cut so they could get a PG release over here.

Shame, I would have liked to see Yoda head but Jar Jar Binks!! :D

The offending headbutt is between Jango Fett and Obi Wan, you can see it if you like on one othe TV spot previews at www.theforce.net you want the Bounty Hunter one.

So are they actually inferring that this 1 second of cinematic stunt work would cause a problem :confused:

Blink and you would miss it.

BBFC - Pah

The fact that any old tom dick or harry can see it on the net makes a mockery of the cut.

ooh, ooh - we'd better cut something - otherwise people will think we are not doing our jobs....

They are trying to justify their existence.

Donkeys.

This is pathetic, I hate it when the BBFC try to prove that they are doing their job and score headlines. I bet the cut will be as jarring and noticeable as all their other clumsy cuts, ie The Matrix, Tomb Raider et al.

My local Warnervillage is advertising it as a 'U'. Don't think that's right though!

Goinb back to see the DLP version today, will let you all know if it includes the headbutt.

Well, I am still none the wiser. I managed to sneeze right at the key moment and so have no idea wether or not the headbutt is still in place :blush: Having seen the offending butt by another source, it does explain why Obi-Wan suddenly falls backwards during the fight with Jango and subsequently, it does look a little odd why he falls over in the censored version, when you know what should happen.

Everyone going region one for the DVD as a result?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom