Question Star Wars Hot Toys

Unlucky Alf

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently brought the Disney Elite Premium Vader and Leia after seeing Leia at a a mates and being favourably impressed by the price/quality ratio, but it still left me wanting something more accurate.
So after some research online, I settled on Hot Toys Rey and BB8, which arrived Friday. And it's the most fun I've had with a toy in a long time. She really looks like she's stepped right out of the film, and the accessories and attention to detail are amazing. 12 different hands, BB-8 with LED lights, blaster/staff/lightsabre with removable blade, and extra costume bits to make her scavenger look. The ankle articulation is pretty well non-existent though, and I'm not sure BB8 was worth the extra, but overall she's great.

IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2104.JPG

Grandad...?
IMG_2105.JPG

And after all that, I'm wondering who to get next. ANH Leia is on the shortlist as an upgrade from the Disney one and perhaps Vader (apparently Rogue One Vader is the one to get but seems to be be sold out everywhere), while Han and Luke both look a little off. As for Chewie, R2 and 3PO, what are the choices?

Last edited:
Depends on your budget and whether you want to focus on Force Awakens or original trilogy figures or both. Once you start collecting no other Star Wars line compares.

For Force Awakens I have Finn (great likeness but tall and out of scale with Rey), FO Trooper, Kylo Ren (very nice but could have done with an unmasked head) and Phasma (armour limits articulation). Overall Rey is the best figure in the FA line but there's a very nice looking old Luke coming. Also there is a Hot Toys C3-PO and R2-D2 and old Han and Chewbacca coming.

Original trilogy I have the New Hope Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Ben Kenobi, Darth Vader, Stormtrooper and Return of the Jedi Boba Fett. All are excellent figures. I wouldn't say Han and Luke are off at all. Ben Kenobi and Boba are particularly good in my opinion. But also the Chewbacca is great once you mess his hair up a bit and the Luke and Leia head sculpts are like a mini Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

Next figure for me is the Empire Strikes Back Yoda which is out soon.

Cheers! Yep, from what I've read and seen, HT are the ones to beat when it comes to accuracy.

And the Finn and Kylo are way out of scale from all the pics I've seen, which is putting me off them. I also saw all 3 together today in Forbidden Planet and the pictures were all too accurate.

As for the OT figures, I've got a line on a Leia at a decent price, but the fact that the Disney one is reasonable quality for the price level is making me hesitate. If the hair buns were a bit better, I don't think I'd look any further.

With Han, I may be falling into the Sideshowcollector forums trap of making any molehill into a mountain, but I think Luke's hair looks too dark in all the pics I've seen. It's almost black when it should be a blond or light brown.

Finally, is the HT Vader (or any other masked character) much better than a potentially cheaper alternative, where the mask may be simpler to get right than a human face?

To answer your questions:

Luke's hair is a little dark but the face sculpt, accessories and everything else about the figures is so good you forget about it very quickly.

The HT vader is definitely much better than any other Vader I have seen at that scale.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom