Star Wars Holiday Special

Setenza

After years of searching, I managed to track this down and have finally finished watching it.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder Mr Lucas never wants this to be shown ever again.

The only interesting section being the cartoon segment which features Boba Fett (in an early incarnation).

Anyone else had the misfortune to experience this SWHS?

Setenza

The basic premise is that Han & Chewie are trying to return to the wookie homeworld in time for "life day", which is like the non secular SW universe version of christmas. Most of the story centres around Chewies family (wife, kid and dad). While the wait they try and throw the imperial occupation forces off the trail (who suspect rebel activity).

The original SW cast all participate, as well as Art Carney who I beleive also slummed it in one of the Ewok movies. It's all very set bound and contains duff singing and disco dancing. Basic it's all very late 70's and somewhat ****e (not to mention rather dull). It mixes video production with stock footage from the film. The animated section is really it's only virtue.

Points of interest. Mark Hamil wears so much stage makeup that it looks like a cross between Frankenfurter and KISS. Carrie Fisher sings (Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!) The wookie costumes were made by Stan Winston and Tom Burman.

The version I saw was taken from a video recording of the original broadcast (complete with adverts every 10 minutes).

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
My god, THE HOLY GRAIL!:D

Xusia, you could make a mint off that. Don't let Georgie know you've got a copy or his lawyers will be round your gaff before you can say "may the farce be with you";)

Wouldn't know where a guy could get hold of the Turkish Star Wars would you?

bh

Standard Member
Jebus!!

Sounds awful and after all that hunting around. Still, it's certainly worth a bob or two.

:D

buns

Banned
what was the recent anime parody of starwars........the one lucas tried to have banned.....i quite fancied seing it

ad

Garrett

Originally posted by Xusia Of Delos

The only interesting section being the cartoon segment which features Boba Fett (in an early incarnation).

I know they have done a comic of Star Wars (by Dark Horse) but have the done a cartoon series?

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
The holiday special is readily available on e bay...for about a fiver...its bad allright...mark hamill wears so much makeup in it because he had a bad car smash around this time and he had surgery on his face....my copy also has the kenner commercials on it for all the toys,,very interesting.

encaser

The only 'spin-off' I rate is the "Troops" thing done with the Storm Troopers who do the bad boy LA cop stylie thing:D

bh

Standard Member
Seconded ... Troops is great!

"Bad boys, bad boys watcha gonna do?".....:cool:

Garrett

Originally posted by encaser
The only 'spin-off' I rate is the "Troops" thing done with the Storm Troopers who do the bad boy LA cop stylie thing:D
Was it cartoon or live?

buns

Banned
so no one knows the one im talking about? sexual type parody.....star balz or something like it.......

ad

bh

Standard Member
Originally posted by buns
so no one knows the one im talking about? sexual type parody.....star balz or something like it.......

ad

No, we're not bothered!

:D

encaser

Originally posted by Garrett
Was it cartoon or live?

It's a live action thing. Allegedly it was done with Jabba's, I mean, Lucas' consent by some dude who worked on the team. You can more than likely still find it on the net somewhere - one of the few (only) free things from Lucas related ouvre. Jawa's really are portrayed and hated as the thieving gypo stereotype and so get a bad deal - what ya gonna do, shoot? Aha,:eek: :D

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by buns

ad

SpaceBallz Mel Brooks ?? Pants.

Also Gremloids which has a Darth Vader knock off ( Lord Buckethead) turning up on earth and pursuing a female gas station attendant accompanied with a cylinder vaccum cleaner who he mistakes for the "princess and her droid".

Very low budget very very funny!

buns

Banned
Originally posted by Mr.D

Also Gremloids which has a Darth Vader knock off ( Lord Buckethead) turning up on earth and pursuing a female gas station attendant accompanied with a cylinder vaccum cleaner who he mistakes for the "princess and her droid".

any idea of a source?

ad

Garrett

Originally posted by Mr.D

Daphne Zuniga looked very nice in it.
spaceballs3.jpg

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Starchaser :Legend of Orin... no doubt.

Had a Han solo knock off and a big bad guy with a sword but hardly a total copy.

juvey pap to be honest but also has some hand coloured 3d cel work; interesting effect tried it fro my graduation film : nightmare experience!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow