Star Wars - General Thread

Watched The Phantom Menace with my son when he got home from school and it still looks amazing. Even better on Blu-ray, natch, especially considering we lived all those years with the grainy DVD (which itself was lauded on its release). I was particularly struck by the animation and look of Jar Jar Binks. I think he still stands up as a grand example of CGI, whose movements and character were realised brilliantly by Ahmed Best.

I'm not trying to be contentious, here - I know he has his detractors - but I've never hidden my affection for the character and my respect for the work that went into making him work.

One thing that occured to me on watching the film again today was that not only does Qui Gon have quite a cavalier attitude towards Jedi mind tricks, using them all over the place, but that they never actually work on Boss Nass. It's established in A New Hope that they only work on the weak-minded but this doesn't seem to stop Luke from using one on Vader in ROTJ and likewise Boss Nass seems too much of a strong spirit for them to work on him. Watto's response to Qui Gon using one on him has to be the comedy moment of the film, though.

Unfinished fan-made Star Wars anime by animator Paul Michael Johnson

The original version had bad music added by a fan, at least someone added sound fx's

Original (with fan added music)

Last edited:
quarry2006 said:
Watched The Phantom Menace with my son when he got home from school and it still looks amazing. Even better on Blu-ray, natch, especially considering we lived all those years with the grainy DVD (which itself was lauded on its release). I was particularly struck by the animation and look of Jar Jar Binks. I think he still stands up as a grand example of CGI, whose movements and character were realised brilliantly by Ahmed Best.

I'm not trying to be contentious, here - I know he has his detractors - but I've never hidden my affection for the character and my respect for the work that went into making him work.

One thing that occured to me on watching the film again today was that not only does Qui Gon have quite a cavalier attitude towards Jedi mind tricks, using them all over the place, but that they never actually work on Boss Nass. It's established in A New Hope that they only work on the weak-minded but this doesn't seem to stop Luke from using one on Vader in ROTJ and likewise Boss Nass seems too much of a strong spirit for them to work on him. Watto's response to Qui Gon using one on him has to be the comedy moment of the film, though.

Do you know what happened to jar jar binks at the end of eps III?

There is a video game called star wars the force unleashed developed by lucasarts, and George Lucas was also there at hand. The game is set between eps III and IV and is the story of how darth vader had a secret apprentice behind palpatines back. ( if you don't wish to read this turn away now lol) basically there is a level on Kasshyk. You enter a generals room who loves to collect trophies of different species, you see wookies and the large creatures that obi wan and anakin were battling in the arena in epsII. As soon as you enter the room and turn the camera left, you see poor old jar jar frozen in carbonite. Now I'm unsure if this happened directly after epsIII or the general did it.............yep the general must of done it, anakin and the clones would have spared no one in the Jedi temple.

I played the game on the Wii and was seriously underwhelmed by the graphics - turned out it was a port from the PS2. The story, though, was top-notch, I agree.

I wrote a story for my kids where Jar Jar ends up living with Watto after the war as part of some Imperial housing scheme where all the aliens are forced to live in some kind of galactic ghetto. Think Star Wars meets The Odd Couple.

quarry2006 said:
I played the game on the Wii and was seriously underwhelmed by the graphics - turned out it was a port from the PS2. The story, though, was top-notch, I agree.

I wrote a story for my kids where Jar Jar ends up living with Watto after the war as part of some Imperial housing scheme where all the aliens are forced to live in some kind of galactic ghetto. Think Star Wars meets The Odd Couple.

You made it up for them?

Not sure I can place that one?

Maybe vader had his guard down when near his son, maybe he was softening him up. Vader was kind of.........friendly to luke.

Maybe Vader was weak minded, after all he fell for Sidious' chat up lines the floozy.

But anakins mideclorian count is higher than any jedi's, confusing huh? And yes I do think qui gon used the mind trick a lot, but that's what makes qui gon unique lol. You can sort of think " if only qui gon was there to stop anakins sway to the darkside" all of it would have stopped.

And royally ballsed up the entire Star Wars universe!!!

shodan said:
And royally ballsed up the entire Star Wars universe!!!

Qui gon just had to die didn't he. He could have just died when everything was ok could he noooooooooo he had to die when the bloody universe was at crisis. LOL :)

Not sure I can place that one?

"That's why you won't take me to your Emperor now."

It's in the scene where Luke surrenders himself and is taken to Vader on Endor. They have their little father-son chat and Luke tries to use a mind trick on Vader. Vader just looks at his son and then ignites Luke's 'sabre.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've watched the star wars saga, I'm waiting till I can get it on Blu ray or Blu ray 3D. If Luke tried a mind trick on vader, and all he did was activate his light sabre, I think he was ignoring luke. Luke was very desperate to see the emperor then and vader knew this so was biding time. Vader won't fall for a mind trick, but after awhile he gave up and let Luke see him. After all he's still a sith right now.

quarry2006 said:

It's in the scene where Luke surrenders himself and is taken to Vader on Endor. They have their little father-son chat and Luke tries to use a mind trick on Vader. Vader just looks at his son and then ignites Luke's 'sabre.

Oh personally never saw that as a mind trick, thought it was the son appealing to the father but vader demonstrated he was still in thrall to the emperor.

It never seemed to me that Luke was using a Jedi mind trick on Vader, he was just trying to get through to his father.

Last edited:
Indiana Jones said:
I never seemed to me that Luke was using a Jedi mind trick on Vader, he was just trying to get through to his father.

If he was using a mind trick wouldn't he have waved his hand to him?

tyrone burton said:
If he was using a mind trick wouldn't he have waved his hand to him?

Exactly, have seen the film a fair few times and not once did I get the impression he was attempting a mind trick.

Indiana Jones said:
Exactly, have seen the film a fair few times and not once did I get the impression he was attempting a mind trick.

Yes, I think were getting ourselves confused here lol.

No, he didn't try a mind trick. He was just appealing as a son to his father to try and break through to the good inside him.

vader100 said:
No, he didn't try a mind trick. He was just appealing as a son to his father to try and break through to the good inside him.

Which no Jedi had ever tried before.

According to the novel adaptation of the film, it was Luke's attempt at a mind trick - actually, if memory serves, that moment is written from Vader's perspective and reads something like "Vader smiled at his son's attempt at a mind trick". Now, I know that the adaptation can't be taken as gospel (although it was taken direct from the screenplay rather than the finished film, hence we have the longer scene between Obi-wan and Luke) but I think it makes perfect sense that Luke would try and use his new-found powers on Vader. He even modulates his voice which again would support the notion that he's attempting a mind trick.

Looking at the responses, though, I think everyone's mind here is pretty much made up that I'm "wrong". I refuse to die in a ditch over this so that's my last word on it!

What I do like about Luke in Jedi (a film that Hammill now dismisses as "cornball") is his introduction in the film. It's not immediately apparent that it's Luke in the long shot - and the cloaked figure could easily be Vader - and then when we see that it is Skywalker Jnr the first thing he does is choke the guards, something we've only ever seen Vader do. It's this conflict inside the character that makes Luke a complex and fully realised hero and we see during the duel with Vader later in the film just how close he comes to crossing over into the darkside.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom