• We are currently running a full reindex on the database following a problem yesterday morning (Thursday 5th December).
    This will take a few hours to complete and during this time, search results will be incomplete or non-existant. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Star Wars - General Thread

quarry2006

Well-known Member
Watched The Phantom Menace with my son when he got home from school and it still looks amazing. Even better on Blu-ray, natch, especially considering we lived all those years with the grainy DVD (which itself was lauded on its release). I was particularly struck by the animation and look of Jar Jar Binks. I think he still stands up as a grand example of CGI, whose movements and character were realised brilliantly by Ahmed Best.

I'm not trying to be contentious, here - I know he has his detractors - but I've never hidden my affection for the character and my respect for the work that went into making him work.

One thing that occured to me on watching the film again today was that not only does Qui Gon have quite a cavalier attitude towards Jedi mind tricks, using them all over the place, but that they never actually work on Boss Nass. It's established in A New Hope that they only work on the weak-minded but this doesn't seem to stop Luke from using one on Vader in ROTJ and likewise Boss Nass seems too much of a strong spirit for them to work on him. Watto's response to Qui Gon using one on him has to be the comedy moment of the film, though.
 

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Unfinished fan-made Star Wars anime by animator Paul Michael Johnson


The original version had bad music added by a fan, at least someone added sound fx's





Original (with fan added music)

 
Last edited:
quarry2006 said:
Watched The Phantom Menace with my son when he got home from school and it still looks amazing. Even better on Blu-ray, natch, especially considering we lived all those years with the grainy DVD (which itself was lauded on its release). I was particularly struck by the animation and look of Jar Jar Binks. I think he still stands up as a grand example of CGI, whose movements and character were realised brilliantly by Ahmed Best.

I'm not trying to be contentious, here - I know he has his detractors - but I've never hidden my affection for the character and my respect for the work that went into making him work.

One thing that occured to me on watching the film again today was that not only does Qui Gon have quite a cavalier attitude towards Jedi mind tricks, using them all over the place, but that they never actually work on Boss Nass. It's established in A New Hope that they only work on the weak-minded but this doesn't seem to stop Luke from using one on Vader in ROTJ and likewise Boss Nass seems too much of a strong spirit for them to work on him. Watto's response to Qui Gon using one on him has to be the comedy moment of the film, though.
Do you know what happened to jar jar binks at the end of eps III?

There is a video game called star wars the force unleashed developed by lucasarts, and George Lucas was also there at hand. The game is set between eps III and IV and is the story of how darth vader had a secret apprentice behind palpatines back. ( if you don't wish to read this turn away now lol) basically there is a level on Kasshyk. You enter a generals room who loves to collect trophies of different species, you see wookies and the large creatures that obi wan and anakin were battling in the arena in epsII. As soon as you enter the room and turn the camera left, you see poor old jar jar frozen in carbonite. Now I'm unsure if this happened directly after epsIII or the general did it.............yep the general must of done it, anakin and the clones would have spared no one in the Jedi temple.
 

quarry2006

Well-known Member
I played the game on the Wii and was seriously underwhelmed by the graphics - turned out it was a port from the PS2. The story, though, was top-notch, I agree.

I wrote a story for my kids where Jar Jar ends up living with Watto after the war as part of some Imperial housing scheme where all the aliens are forced to live in some kind of galactic ghetto. Think Star Wars meets The Odd Couple.
 
quarry2006 said:
I played the game on the Wii and was seriously underwhelmed by the graphics - turned out it was a port from the PS2. The story, though, was top-notch, I agree.

I wrote a story for my kids where Jar Jar ends up living with Watto after the war as part of some Imperial housing scheme where all the aliens are forced to live in some kind of galactic ghetto. Think Star Wars meets The Odd Couple.
You made it up for them?
 

vader100

Well-known Member
Watched The Phantom Menace with my son when he got home from school and it still looks amazing. Even better on Blu-ray, natch, especially considering we lived all those years with the grainy DVD (which itself was lauded on its release). I was particularly struck by the animation and look of Jar Jar Binks. I think he still stands up as a grand example of CGI, whose movements and character were realised brilliantly by Ahmed Best.

I'm not trying to be contentious, here - I know he has his detractors - but I've never hidden my affection for the character and my respect for the work that went into making him work.

One thing that occured to me on watching the film again today was that not only does Qui Gon have quite a cavalier attitude towards Jedi mind tricks, using them all over the place, but that they never actually work on Boss Nass. It's established in A New Hope that they only work on the weak-minded but this doesn't seem to stop Luke from using one on Vader in ROTJ and likewise Boss Nass seems too much of a strong spirit for them to work on him. Watto's response to Qui Gon using one on him has to be the comedy moment of the film, though.
Not sure I can place that one?
 

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Watched The Phantom Menace with my son when he got home from school and it still looks amazing. Even better on Blu-ray, natch, especially considering we lived all those years with the grainy DVD (which itself was lauded on its release). I was particularly struck by the animation and look of Jar Jar Binks. I think he still stands up as a grand example of CGI, whose movements and character were realised brilliantly by Ahmed Best.

I'm not trying to be contentious, here - I know he has his detractors - but I've never hidden my affection for the character and my respect for the work that went into making him work.

One thing that occured to me on watching the film again today was that not only does Qui Gon have quite a cavalier attitude towards Jedi mind tricks, using them all over the place, but that they never actually work on Boss Nass. It's established in A New Hope that they only work on the weak-minded but this doesn't seem to stop Luke from using one on Vader in ROTJ and likewise Boss Nass seems too much of a strong spirit for them to work on him. Watto's response to Qui Gon using one on him has to be the comedy moment of the film, though.
Maybe Vader was weak minded, after all he fell for Sidious' chat up lines the floozy.
 
But anakins mideclorian count is higher than any jedi's, confusing huh? And yes I do think qui gon used the mind trick a lot, but that's what makes qui gon unique lol. You can sort of think " if only qui gon was there to stop anakins sway to the darkside" all of it would have stopped.
 

shodan

Distinguished Member
And royally ballsed up the entire Star Wars universe!!!
 
shodan said:
And royally ballsed up the entire Star Wars universe!!!
Qui gon just had to die didn't he. He could have just died when everything was ok could he noooooooooo he had to die when the bloody universe was at crisis. LOL :)
 

quarry2006

Well-known Member
Not sure I can place that one?
"That's why you won't take me to your Emperor now."

It's in the scene where Luke surrenders himself and is taken to Vader on Endor. They have their little father-son chat and Luke tries to use a mind trick on Vader. Vader just looks at his son and then ignites Luke's 'sabre.
 
Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've watched the star wars saga, I'm waiting till I can get it on Blu ray or Blu ray 3D. If Luke tried a mind trick on vader, and all he did was activate his light sabre, I think he was ignoring luke. Luke was very desperate to see the emperor then and vader knew this so was biding time. Vader won't fall for a mind trick, but after awhile he gave up and let Luke see him. After all he's still a sith right now.
 

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
quarry2006 said:
"That's why you won't take me to your Emperor now."

It's in the scene where Luke surrenders himself and is taken to Vader on Endor. They have their little father-son chat and Luke tries to use a mind trick on Vader. Vader just looks at his son and then ignites Luke's 'sabre.
Oh personally never saw that as a mind trick, thought it was the son appealing to the father but vader demonstrated he was still in thrall to the emperor.
 

Indiana Jones

Moderator
It never seemed to me that Luke was using a Jedi mind trick on Vader, he was just trying to get through to his father.
 
Last edited:
Indiana Jones said:
I never seemed to me that Luke was using a Jedi mind trick on Vader, he was just trying to get through to his father.
If he was using a mind trick wouldn't he have waved his hand to him?
 

Indiana Jones

Moderator
tyrone burton said:
If he was using a mind trick wouldn't he have waved his hand to him?
Exactly, have seen the film a fair few times and not once did I get the impression he was attempting a mind trick.
 

vader100

Well-known Member
"That's why you won't take me to your Emperor now."

It's in the scene where Luke surrenders himself and is taken to Vader on Endor. They have their little father-son chat and Luke tries to use a mind trick on Vader. Vader just looks at his son and then ignites Luke's 'sabre.
No, he didn't try a mind trick. He was just appealing as a son to his father to try and break through to the good inside him.
 

quarry2006

Well-known Member
According to the novel adaptation of the film, it was Luke's attempt at a mind trick - actually, if memory serves, that moment is written from Vader's perspective and reads something like "Vader smiled at his son's attempt at a mind trick". Now, I know that the adaptation can't be taken as gospel (although it was taken direct from the screenplay rather than the finished film, hence we have the longer scene between Obi-wan and Luke) but I think it makes perfect sense that Luke would try and use his new-found powers on Vader. He even modulates his voice which again would support the notion that he's attempting a mind trick.

Looking at the responses, though, I think everyone's mind here is pretty much made up that I'm "wrong". I refuse to die in a ditch over this so that's my last word on it!

What I do like about Luke in Jedi (a film that Hammill now dismisses as "cornball") is his introduction in the film. It's not immediately apparent that it's Luke in the long shot - and the cloaked figure could easily be Vader - and then when we see that it is Skywalker Jnr the first thing he does is choke the guards, something we've only ever seen Vader do. It's this conflict inside the character that makes Luke a complex and fully realised hero and we see during the duel with Vader later in the film just how close he comes to crossing over into the darkside.
 
quarry2006 said:
. It's this conflict inside the character that makes Luke a complex and fully realised hero and we see during the duel with Vader later in the film just how close he comes to crossing over into the darkside.

Close Indeed.

Out of all of the star wars scores what would you guys have as your favourite star wars score?

My absolute fave is I believe is called Battle of The Heroes, the end fight scene between kenobi and anakin.
 

quarry2006

Well-known Member
My favourite score would probably be The Empire Strikes Back - you'll probably see a lot of votes for that one! In terms of actual cues and themes, that's a tougher call. I've always loved the cue from A New Hope where Luke returns to the burning homestead to see the charred skeletons of Beru and Owen. As for themes, it would probably be The Duel Of The Fates from The Phantom Menace. John Williams has used choirs before with The City In The Clouds and The Emperor's Theme but never so overtly as he did with The Duel of The Fates. It's reprisal in Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith gives a sense of continuity that is arguably lacking in the prequels.
 
quarry2006 said:
My favourite score would probably be The Empire Strikes Back - you'll probably see a lot of votes for that one! In terms of actual cues and themes, that's a tougher call. I've always loved the cue from A New Hope where Luke returns to the burning homestead to see the charred skeletons of Beru and Owen. As for themes, it would probably be The Duel Of The Fates from The Phantom Menace. John Williams has used choirs before with The City In The Clouds and The Emperor's Theme but never so overtly as he did with The Duel of The Fates. It's reprisal in Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith gives a sense of continuity that is arguably lacking in the prequels.
Yes I agree. I think duel of the fates didn't have as much umphh in it as the phantom menace.
 

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
According to the novel adaptation of the film, it was Luke's attempt at a mind trick - actually, if memory serves, that moment is written from Vader's perspective and reads something like "Vader smiled at his son's attempt at a mind trick". Now, I know that the adaptation can't be taken as gospel (although it was taken direct from the screenplay rather than the finished film, hence we have the longer scene between Obi-wan and Luke) but I think it makes perfect sense that Luke would try and use his new-found powers on Vader. He even modulates his voice which again would support the notion that he's attempting a mind trick.

Looking at the responses, though, I think everyone's mind here is pretty much made up that I'm "wrong". I refuse to die in a ditch over this so that's my last word on it!

What I do like about Luke in Jedi (a film that Hammill now dismisses as "cornball") is his introduction in the film. It's not immediately apparent that it's Luke in the long shot - and the cloaked figure could easily be Vader - and then when we see that it is Skywalker Jnr the first thing he does is choke the guards, something we've only ever seen Vader do. It's this conflict inside the character that makes Luke a complex and fully realised hero and we see during the duel with Vader later in the film just how close he comes to crossing over into the darkside.
Ah, I thought the mind trick thing might've come from the novel. They're fun to read, but the only thing I take as canon is what I see on-screen.

One thing I love about Anakin's journey in the prequels is how it bolsters my interpretation of Luke. His potential turn to the dark side isn't really paid a great deal of attention in Jedi, aside from a couple of cheap callbacks to what Vader does, and it doesn't help that Hamill's as wooden as a pair of clogs. By that time Lucas was intent on turning Star Wars into Anakin's story so Luke's turmoil kinda got pushed to the background, his primary purpose having been changed to saving his father - so the spotlight falls on Vader, natch - rather than his friends. But thanks to Anakin having traced that path already, I can fill in the blanks about Luke's struggle and it makes the final showdown all the more powerful.
 
Last edited:

quarry2006

Well-known Member
One thing I love about Anakin's journey in the prequels is how it bolsters my interpretation of Luke...it makes the final showdown all the more powerful.
Absolutely. The scene between Vader, Luke and The Emperor has always been my favourite part of the film. It's the emotional core of the movie and now we have the prequels where Anakin's struggle is more overt, it's an even more satisfying scene.
 

Similar threads

Trending threads

Latest News

Netflix UK free trials come to an end
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony update brings AirPlay 2 and Dolby Atmos support to select TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer FLOW II headphones get Google Assistant
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon introduces DHT-S216 All-in-One soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom