1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Galaxies

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by General Panic, Oct 24, 2003.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys
    Anyone in a rush to get the UK version out next week?
    I've a couple of friends who bought the US version a while back and while initially very happy that soon wore off. Not so much with lag or bugs just the general lack of excitement.
    I was really loking forward to it's release now not so sure.
    Might just buy it from Game if they offer their 14 day money back deal on it and try it out for a couple of weeks.

General Panic

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Usually GAME do not offer the no quibble on online titles due to the fact you have to register with the CD-KEY you receive.

Personally, I would stay away from SWG for a while. I have just pre-ordered FFXI, which is being released next tuesday in the states. If you are interested in MMORPG I would suggest you take a look at it (esp if you enjoy final fantasy).

BTW, I have often ordered online only titles from the US, especially with MMO games. You will never really experience connection issues, and even when most of the games are released the game servers are still based in the states.

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Sinzer
    Had no idea FFXI out already , loved FFV11. I thought "Games" policy might screw my plan up somehow. I've never tried a subscription MMORPG before so am a bit wary. I assume SWG will have a month free trial as well as FFXI?
    If so 30 quids not too much to loose if i don't get into it/them.
    To be honest i'm just killing time till Call of Duty comes out.

General Panic

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I've got a mate who's had Galaxies for a while now and is bored with it. He had everquest before and left that for Galaxies but is now thinking of quitting that cos of lack of content.

Cheers
    Andy

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    it's still supposed to be a beta as far as i'm told.

Apparently they just unleashed it and decided to make as much money from it and use it as a quicker way to iron out bugs before a world-wide release.

Personally i think the premise is great, but i can't afford to spend £40 on a game and then £15 per month subscription. I think that's outrageous.

Maybe just charging £60 or so for a game and a good 4-5 months subscription would be a good idea.

6. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am a member of an online gaming community (www.legionhq.org) that was setup for quite a few ppl that play SWG, they love it.. i dont play it. it looks like one of those life sapping games.. which after planetarion i am staying away from all such things ;)

7. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Star Wars Galaxies was supposed to be one of those games you could play either casually or hardcore if you wanted to.

I think they wanted to attract the casual gamer. Casual gamers cost less (they don't use as much bandwidth) and don't require you to provide as much content because they don't progress that quickly. I think the devs expected it to take at least 2 months for people to get to through the advanced professions, they were there within the first week. Hell, some people were there in a few days with some professions.

So many bugs made it through from beta, I was there so I know. The beta testers said the game wasn't ready and we were right. It came out and many of my online gaming group (ClanUK) bought it. To start with the game was great, some fantastic concepts in character advancement and you could be a combination of any skills you wanted rather than being restricted to a certain class. You could be a crafter and still have enough weapon skill to join in hunts for example.

The bugs (and oh my god there are so many bugs) and lack of content are driving people away from the game. In my guild there are 70+ members, probably 2/3 of them have either stopped playing regularly or cancelled their account.

Every big patch that comes brings more tedium to the advancement curve or takes abilities away from you. The game is so badly unbalanced it's comical, the only high end game is PvP and even the hardened PvPers say it's pointlessly unbalanced.

I honestly think this thing needs at least another year before people start playing it. The only problem is that there were dupe bugs from the start and SOE did nothing about the people who used them so with the game being based on a player economy you're totally screwed unless you cheat.

8. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    How much does it cost per month?

Can you pay for months in lump sums and save more ££, like subscribing to a magazine I guess.