Star Wars Episodes I - VI in which order?

Which order to watch the Star Wars saga?

• Episode 1 - 6 in numerical order

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Start with episode IV-VI and then watch the prequels

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WorldChampionsGoo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Following on from another thread, which order do you think Star Wars should be watched in?

Do you subscribe to the view that they should be watched 1-6 or do you start with IV, V and VI and then watch the three prequels?

Hey, it's my thread so I vote for episodes IV, V and VI first and then watch the prequels ....... it's how they were released and you can only understand the significance of some of the stuff in the prequels if you have watched the later episodes. So, what do you think???

I go with watch IV, V & VI first then the prequals.

Unless you are watching the Lucarsed up versions of the originals:mad: , in which case I'd watch them in the proper order. Well I say I'd watch them, but I'd probably leave the messed about with originals.:devil:

PS am I allowed to edit out JarJar?:D

When I went to the Star Wars Marathon last May it was 4-6 then 1-3 so would probaley watch them in that order again.

For a first time viewer though it might be interesting to see what they make of 1-6 viewed in order.

Personally i'd watch them as IV, V then VI and i'd use Episodes I, II and III DVD's as drinks costers whislt i enjoyed the origional trilogy.

If i knew of someone who had never seen them before i'd still recommend watching the Origional Trilogy first, where would the fun be when watching the end of Emipre Strikes Back and the infamous "Luke, I am your father" when it's like "Yeah we know, saw it all in Episode III"

Deadsquirrel said:
If i knew of someone who had never seen them before i'd still recommend watching the Origional Trilogy first, where would the fun be when watching the end of Emipre Strikes Back and the infamous "Luke, I am your father" when it's like "Yeah we know, saw it all in Episode III"

Also if they watched them eps I - VI, they would give up after Episode I due to how appalling it is and never get to see the greatness of the originals!

Definitely start with IV! :thumbsup:

Rob

watching in numerical order would ruin all of the "big reveals" in IV, V & VI, like Luke & Leia being bro and sis, the little green guy on Dagobah turning out to be the greatest Jedi master, the already mentioned "I am your father"... just about every surprise the the original trilogy gets pre-empted in the prequels if you see them first, not that that's really a problem for Lucas as he's probably aware that everyone on the planet's seen his films and knows the stories anyway. Aswell as that though, you'd be watching Luke and Leia's blossoming relationship develop under a completely different, somewhat dodgy, context :nono:

I would watch Episodes 4, 5 and 6 and then........well that's it realy:D :D

Deadsquirrel said:
Personally i'd watch them as IV, V then VI and i'd use Episodes I, II and III DVD's as drinks costers whislt i enjoyed the origional trilogy.

LOL:rotfl: :rotfl:

I watched them in order, 1 to 6, but I think I got dissapointed by 4-6, not the stryline but acting and computer effects, so best to watch from 4-6 then 1-3.

1-6. I find Vader's story to be more satisfying when viewed in that order. The two trilogies complement each other more than folk realise, with the denser plotting of the prequels giving way to the freewheeling originals. To hell with the "big reveals" of the OT because they've been common knowledge for, let's see, over twenty years! :rotfl:

In the order that they were made/released - simple :thumbsup:

If GL had filmed EP1 in 1977 we'd have never heard of Star Wars today

4 - 5 - 6 and forget the rest.

Other than the fact the prequels were rubbish in their own right I think the original films lose some of their magic / power if you watch the prequels.

Indiana Jones said:
When I went to the Star Wars Marathon last May it was 4-6 then 1-3 so would probaley watch them in that order again.

For a first time viewer though it might be interesting to see what they make of 1-6 viewed in order.

First time viewer:confused:

Didnt know such a thing exsisted;)

Personally 4-6 then sit up with the bairn while the others are on.:boring:

First time viewer 4,5,6,1,2,3.
Other than the quality of the films themselves nothing fails, the surprises in 5 and 6, the effects get better, the inpending doom of 3.

Repeated viewings 1,2,3,4,5,6.
The suprises don't matter, the effects are rarley even thought of and it feels like long journey (in a good way).

My sister was adament about watching them 1-6 because she saw 1 first but it failed miserbly. 3 was the worst of the prequels in her opinion.
When fans watch 3 they see:
• X-Wings before they were X-Wings.
• Tie Fighters before they were Tie Fighters
• Glad they know how the Palpatine became the Emperor he is in 6
• Find out how the Jedi's became extinct.
• See the Blockade Runner from the start of 4 in new condition.
• The huge Duel they have been waiting to see for 20-30 years that made Darth Vader what he is.
• See Obi-Wan take Anakin's Lightsaber for Luke.
• Find out how Obi-Wan will be able to communicate with Luke after his death.
• See the start of the Death Star build.
• See where Leia went and her parents that die in 4.
• Watch luke get dropped off and watched from a far.

Nearly everything in the film is a wink or nod to things you wanted to know/see.

When first time viewers see it they see Sam Jackson die, a background character become wrinkly and in charge of Anakin. Anakin get REALLY hurt and some big mechano kit being built at the end. It means very little.

When my sister watched 4 she thought it was OK but wanted to know why Darth Vader never realized he was threatening his Daughter and why the Lightsaber fight looked like two old women fighting, when we watched 5 we did it in two sittings because she was that bored.
Number 5 works when you:
• Don't know who Yoda is, he's mystical.
• When Obi-Wan say's "He's our last hope" and Yoda say's "No, there is another. Your dying to know what they mean.
• Don't realise that Luke only does about 1% of normal Jedi training to become a Jedi Knight.
• You don't know who Lukes Father is.

The big reveals in 6 are totally ruined, Brother and Sister, Darth Vaders mask coming off.

bump. can't believe how close it is and episodes 1-6 in order is winning!

Bump again - come on the 'episodes IV - VI first' club!! :thumbsup:

1 to 6. It's the way Lucas wants them to be seen. Just because you disagree doesn't make him wrong. It makes you wrong. He created it. He can do whatever he damn likes to it!

:)

chrislad said:
1 to 6. It's the way Lucas wants them to be seen. Just because you disagree doesn't make him wrong. It makes you wrong. He created it. He can do whatever he damn likes to it!

Yes he can do whatever he likes with his films.

Using DVD or Sky+/HD I can watch them in any order I choose.

watch IV to VI, then forget towatch I to III, and there you have it 3 great movies...(not the special eddition though):thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chrislad said:

Don't think anyone has said Lucas is wrong - we're all just stating an opinion. And so far, the people that think the episodes should be watched IV first are winning through.

Strange that Lucas wants them to been in 1-6 imo. He released them the other way and seems that the story is told in that order. "Luke, I am your father" has absolutely no impact if you watch them in 1-6 and can be described as one of the most pivotal moments in the saga.

Abbeygoo said:
Don't think anyone has said Lucas is wrong - we're all just stating an opinion. And so far, the people that think the episodes should be watched IV first are winning through.

Strange that Lucas wants them to been in 1-6 imo. He released them the other way and seems that the story is told in that order. "Luke, I am your father" has absolutely no impact if you watch them in 1-6 and can be described as one of the most pivotal moments in the saga.

Lucas "say's" he made them in that order because the meat of the story is in 4-6.
If you've seen them already the impact is no different so the order doesn't matter, unless you have amnesia.
It all depends on whether it's first time viewing or repeated viewing.

I say watch them in the order they were made: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 and then 4, 5, 6 again.

Lucas started in the middle for a reason. I don't say that in disrespect to the prequels because I love the whole story but I think knowing the backstory ruins some of the big moments ("I am your father") and can take away some of the overall mystique. Watching them in my preferred order, you reach the end of Jedi first time round and really want to know what Vader was like 'before the helmet'; you want to know what the clone wars were; what the Republic was like 'before the dark times'.

It's all so much more enjoyable, you see the nods and knowing references in the dialogue ("Why do I feel you're going to be the death of me?"), your expectations are turned on their head when you see Anakin is just a cute boy to begin with and the clone wars (which for some reason you assume would be Jedi fighting against clones) feature prototype stormtroopers fighting for the Jedi. You get the ultimate kick in watching Yoda draw his lightsabre and, right at the end, you have to endure your wife's smug assertion that, when Anakin's reason for turning to the dark side is finally revealed, it's all one big chick flick!

Oh, and you get to see the Death Star in its infancy, which is definitely a fanboy moment.

Having seen the prequels, you appreciate the original trilogy in a new light and key scenes (like Alec Guinness's wonderful pause when Luke asks what happened to his father) take on greater resonance and cause much "oohing" and "ahhing" and sage nodding of the head. Okay, it still doesn't explain why Leia remembers her mother but you can argue about that on the official site!

Also, once the credits have finished rolling on Episode III, you just have to watch IV again because Sith ends on such a downer.

T800 said:
First time viewer 4,5,6,1,2,3.
Other than the quality of the films themselves nothing fails, the surprises in 5 and 6, the effects get better, the inpending doom of 3.

Repeated viewings 1,2,3,4,5,6.
The suprises don't matter, the effects are rarley even thought of and it feels like long journey (in a good way).

My sister was adament about watching them 1-6 because she saw 1 first but it failed miserbly. 3 was the worst of the prequels in her opinion.
When fans watch 3 they see:
• X-Wings before they were X-Wings.
• Tie Fighters before they were Tie Fighters
• Glad they know how the Palpatine became the Emperor he is in 6
• Find out how the Jedi's became extinct.
• See the Blockade Runner from the start of 4 in new condition.
• The huge Duel they have been waiting to see for 20-30 years that made Darth Vader what he is.
• See Obi-Wan take Anakin's Lightsaber for Luke.
• Find out how Obi-Wan will be able to communicate with Luke after his death.
• See the start of the Death Star build.
• See where Leia went and her parents that die in 4.
• Watch luke get dropped off and watched from a far.

Nearly everything in the film is a wink or nod to things you wanted to know/see.

When first time viewers see it they see Sam Jackson die, a background character become wrinkly and in charge of Anakin. Anakin get REALLY hurt and some big mechano kit being built at the end. It means very little.

When my sister watched 4 she thought it was OK but wanted to know why Darth Vader never realized he was threatening his Daughter and why the Lightsaber fight looked like two old women fighting, when we watched 5 we did it in two sittings because she was that bored.
Number 5 works when you:
• Don't know who Yoda is, he's mystical.
• When Obi-Wan say's "He's our last hope" and Yoda say's "No, there is another. Your dying to know what they mean.
• Don't realise that Luke only does about 1% of normal Jedi training to become a Jedi Knight.
• You don't know who Lukes Father is.

The big reveals in 6 are totally ruined, Brother and Sister, Darth Vaders mask coming off.

Excellent post !! :thumbsup:

Sums it up nicely !!

(plus it means i dont have to type that all out myself) :rotfl:

how about 4, then 5 (enough time for luke to be definded and the "im your father" is then not lost - the most talked about part of the entire series).

then switch to 1-3 to see the rise of vader. then end on a happy note with the final film.

5 ends with them staring into space, and 6 starts with jabbas palace, i think it would give 1-3 a bit more "umph" due to the characters being set, and the film is then tied down nicely with 6 tieing up all the loose ends.

hijack alert ! i would like to see a film about the rise of the empire, the introduction of han and lando, the rebel alliance more jabba, more boba, more vader. place it between 3 and 4, and bobs yer uncle. im not overly convinced about the tv series idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom