Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Not sure many will describe The Last Jedi as "unmissable". I would say "avoid at all costs".

Having a nice picture is all well and good, but content is king, and this film is a steaming pile of doo doo. I'd rather watch the original trilogy on VHS.

barring the fact you'll have to crank it up and play it at reference, a great audio accompaniment.
So the soundtracks mixed low like Thor? :(
Not a problem I suppose as long as it isn't lacking in dynamic range like that one was.

I don’t get the hate for this film. Ok it’s no Empire but it’s nowhere near as bad as the internet would have you believe.
If you haven’t seen it give it a go. It took 2 viewings with a great chat with a Star Wars super fan boy to get me to watch it the second time.
Much better at home with no ignorant snotty teens to try and take their 1 second of fame during the 5 seconds of silence.
Yes has does have the bits that make you go wtf? But there are even more memorable scenes that make you go WTF?!? :eek:

Just my opinion and I’m not easily pleased..:

I don’t get the hate for this film. Ok it’s no Empire but it’s nowhere near as bad as the internet would have you believe. Just my opinion and I’m not easily pleased..:

OK, but it's patronising to acknowledge it's just your opinion, whilst dismissing counter-opinions as some kind of internet brainwashing. The reviewer herein also pointed out elements that he did not appreciate, was he also internet-brainwashed?

It will be interesting to see what the home video release adds to the debate that's probably still raging. I put myself in the camp that hated it enough to not go for a 2nd or 3rd watch at the cinema, no desire to ever see it again. But like most I will now venture a home-watch, just out of curiosity, as without the shock-and-awe of the first time round, maybe the positives excel and the negatives diminish.

OK, but it's patronising to acknowledge it's just your opinion, whilst dismissing counter-opinions as some kind of internet brainwashing. The reviewer herein also pointed out elements that he did not appreciate, was he also internet-brainwashed?

It will be interesting to see what the home video release adds to the debate that's probably still raging. I put myself in the camp that hated it enough to not go for a 2nd or 3rd watch at the cinema, no desire to ever see it again. But like most I will now venture a home-watch, just out of curiosity, as without the shock-and-awe of the first time round, maybe the positives excel and the negatives diminish.
I don’t see your argument for me being patronising for having an opinion. I saw this on release with my son - I wasn’t overly mad on it but he hated it. His hate was fuelled by the outpouring of hate and condemnation on forums like this. I decided to get a second opinion and sat down with a friend of mine who explained one or two things I didn’t understand or hated and gave it a second go.
Sure there are a couple of scenes that make me cringe
Luke flicking the dust of his shoulder the biggest one - so unlike what a Jedi what do
but a second screening cleared the majority of my doubts after talking to a guy who is a walking Star Wars encyclopaedic nutter

Not sure many will describe The Last Jedi as "unmissable". I would say "avoid at all costs".

Having a nice picture is all well and good, but content is king, and this film is a steaming pile of doo doo. I'd rather watch the original trilogy on VHS.
Summed it up perfectly IMO.

I don’t see your argument for me being patronising for having an opinion. I saw this on release with my son - I wasn’t overly mad on it but he hated it. His hate was fuelled by the outpouring of hate and condemnation on forums like this. I decided to get a second opinion and sat down with a friend of mine who explained one or two things I didn’t understand or hated and gave it a second go.
Sure there are a couple of scenes that make me cringe
Luke flicking the dust of his shoulder the biggest one - so unlike what a Jedi what do
but a second screening cleared the majority of my doubts after talking to a guy who is a walking Star Wars encyclopaedic nutter
I'm not sure what enlightenment you could gain from an explanation? There's nothing particularly complicated about the film.

Had the chance to rewatch this recently in a friend's mini private cinema/studio. I requested all Finn/Rose scenes to be cut and I enjoyed it so much more. It's a middle story in a trilogy. It's not going to answer every question. Things are changing and I feel the younger you are the more likely you are to enjoy it. In 30 years when we're looking for retirement homes, care homes or a peaceful grave site a new generation will be here saying how it was great and got them into the film industry. Having spoken at length with another friend who's crew.. My hatred dissipated quite a bit. There's a reason and understanding for all that happens but it just didn't come across in the cut unfortunately. It's not a complex film but there are reasons for certain actions/behaviour. Film wise it's probably 6/10 but in terms of the mastering for the release 8/10. Quality is superb but I found HDR effect isn't very strong. My only other gripe is lack of score version outside the US. So im going to have to track that down at some point by sailing the seven seas :(

Why are Disney putting these bad soundtracks out for Dolby Atmos. Surely they are aware of these reviews. Maybe someone at AVForums staff have contacts at Disney who could tell them what they are lacking. Not seen this yet but do have it preordered on Amazon for 4K.

I don’t get the hate for this film. Ok it’s no Empire but it’s nowhere near as bad as the internet would have you believe.

it is, its total garbage, I thought rogue 1 was bad but compared to this that was good. I laughed in all the wrong places :)

I'm not sure what enlightenment you could gain from an explanation? There's nothing particularly complicated about the film.
About where it fitted in the whole Star Wars universe- not just the cinematic one.
I’m obviously in the minority where I actually find it watchable so I’ll in-subscribe from here and let the haters rejoice in how bad they think it is...:D

And that of course is your opinion. But it appears that because I didn’t hate it I’m not entitled to mine - :confused:
No you are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone, particularly in a discussion forum. But it jars me when people express their opinion, whilst alluding to other opinions being worthless. Your original post patronised anyone else's opinion as being victims of an internet conspiracy. Subsequent posts have expressed a different opinion to yours, but have not gone overboard in outright criticising you or yours, but nobody said you aren't entitled to express it. Just replying to you with a different opinion isn't an attack, a reply is almost a default action in a forum, otherwise why bother contributing?

About where it fitted in the whole Star Wars universe- not just the cinematic one.
I’m obviously in the minority where I actually find it watchable so I’ll in-subscribe from here and let the haters rejoice in how bad they think it is...:D
I think the film should stand on its own merits to a point. Obviously it's one piece of a larger story but ultimately it was a disappointing viewing. That said I've got the uhd coming Monday and I'll give it another go. I've heard from many people, including yourself that it's better second time around. And cinema experience is always a lot worse than at home anyway.

It's interesting what would count as the whole Star Wars universe. Whilst I don't consider myself an encyclopedia or fanatic, I've read all the previous expanded universe novels and most of the comics, (which have been declared seperate from cinematic universe) and most of the arc novels were pretty fantastic in the way they took the stories and characters forward whilst capturing the spirit of the movies. Based on what we ended up with in the cinematic universe, I wish they'd borrowed heavily from the expanded universe instead.

I am prepared to give TLJ another watch though. I consider TFA just OK.

I'm really torn with this film. I'm an avid star wars fan. The first film I saw in the cinema at age 7 was star wars.

I want to watch in 4k on my big tv in my atmos room but nothing makes me want to watch it a 2nd time, i left the cinema when I saw it feeling deflated and disappointed it's like the director took every thing that makes a star wars film great and then threw it out in favour of shock value and the most ridiculous slow motion space chase ever. Everytime I think of it I just get a flash back to the Austin powers slow death scene with the guard and the road roller...... I feel it's just the same with me shouting noooo at the screen in just the same way

I'm really torn with this film. I'm an avid star wars fan. The first film I saw in the cinema at age 7 was star wars.

I want to watch in 4k on my big tv in my atmos room but nothing makes me want to watch it a 2nd time, i left the cinema when I saw it feeling deflated and disappointed it's like the director took every thing that makes a star wars film great and then threw it out in favour of shock value and the most ridiculous slow motion space chase ever. Everytime I think of it I just get a flash back to the Austin powers slow death scene with the guard and the road roller...... I feel it's just the same with me shouting noooo at the screen in just the same way

This

Just finished watching this.....

PQ:
The Dolby Vision is stunning!. There is a slight grain which does look a tad worse in places as expected with grain, but overall it doesn't take away the stunning PQ quality!. I have seen other DV releases(Tranformer films) that are contrast heavy, but this one is spot on with lovely colours, contrast, clarity and depth(there are places in the film where it did look a bit "flat", then there are places where the depth looks awesome, even 3D!)

SQ:
Through my Denon 3300(via my OPPO 203) i usually leave the volume on -9, which is a pumping out volume on most ATMOS films, but this film i had crank it up to +2. The ATMOS separation was great, as well as the LFE

Film
I really enjoyed it(nuff said!)

I'm watching it now and the Atmos soundtrack is very underwhelming.

I've had to check my sub twice to make sure it was on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom