Quantcast

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Thanks again for the review....must be hard work watching all these Star Wars films :)

Definitely the best of the new troligy and I really enjoyed it at the time. It brought the fun back to Star Wars that the prequels had sucked out. I liked the new characters as well as Han being fun again.
I have this in 3D and its great, will look to get it in 4k glory.

It could have set us up for a great trilogy but instead it was a missed opportunity.

Michael Landon

Standard Member
Thanks again for the review....must be hard work watching all these Star Wars films :)

Definitely the best of the new troligy and I really enjoyed it at the time. It brought the fun back to Star Wars that the prequels had sucked out. I liked the new characters as well as Han being fun again.
I have this in 3D and its great, will look to get it in 4k glory.

It could have set us up for a great trilogy but instead it was a missed opportunity.
I agree, this is the best of the mainline Disney SW. The first time I saw it at the cinema I was excited and filled with optimism. They had a good base with all the new characters and there was a hint of some interesting stories and ideas. Kylo was unconvincing (his character, not the acting) but I thought he had potential to turn into something more memorable.

Then The Last Jedi happened...and threw any character development in the bin! Kylo came on a tad but the rest were jettisoned (what was the point of Captain Phasma? I thought she was going to be the next Bobba Fett-side villain). It also had a poor story lacking any imagination (the prequels have this in spades at least) to boot. Such potential was lost unfortunately and RoS couldn't salvage it.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I agree with Simon, the dreadful first three really did suck the life from star wars, although episode 3 was the best of the bad bunch. Just like this would appear to be the best of the last three. Out of all the SW films I've seen I must say that rogue one's probably my favourite. A grown up SW film that can impress me as a late forties guy probably as much as young child was when they watched it. I'm 49 now and still enjoy the original films, and I don't however enjoy the dreadful POS phantom menace etc, they're pure turdage.
This one reignited my SW passion and rogue one had me clamouring to see the next one.... Then I read reviews here and member comments and couldn't find the enthusiasm to go see the last two films. Maybe I should but I take them pretty much as individual films so I can live without them.

Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Thanks Simon.

TFA is a strange one. When I first saw it at the cinema I liked it a lot despite knowing it was going back to the original trilogy a bit TOO much. Repeat watches at home made me like it a bit more. But I liked Rogue One more....now I'm not quite so sure.

I've caught it by accident on TV repeats and... I can't stop watching it. It actually seems to get better with repeat watches to the point where I don't notice the rehashing of the original trilogy.

Kotatsu Neko

I think a lot of the love this received when it came out was simply because it was a Star Wars movie which wasn't incredibly amateurish. On repeated viewing though, it really isn't up to much. The storyline is so unoriginal it's comical, and it does a remarkably poor job of world building. What is the First Order? JJ doesn't seem to care, he just needed the empire to come back somehow. Snoke was a non entity, and Kylo comes off as a spoilt teenager who needs a good slap.

For me, Rogue One and The Mandalorian are the sole highlights of Disney's Star Wars output so far. Solo was passable and the rest were a mixture of derivative and awful. If the future of Star Wars is in TV spin-offs, then perhaps that's for the best.

Evinger

Thanks Simon. A question: Is this the same exact 4K disk as the individual 4K release?

What I actually liked about this WAS the fact that it was so tied to the original trilogy - it is the two sides of the force battling it out for etertinity, using the various creatures in a Galaxy Far, Far Away as their pawns: We are right back to Ancient Mythology here - a Great Hero is born, so is his Nemesis, & Vice Versa

“All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.”

― J.M. Barrie , Peter Pan

AND Battlestar Galactica: Razor (2007)

Dixie4

A great film, really energised the Star Wars saga and this 4K transfer just highlights it even more ! A repeated watch on Blu Ray and now 4K. :clap:

THX1138UK

And a long with ‘Rogue One’, there is no UK stand-alone 4K UHD disc release of ‘The Force Awakens’. Absolutely bonkers! Mine is turning up from the US today. I don’t understand Disney’s Marvell/Star Wars UK disc release strategy at all.

Amazon US isn’t shipping to the UK during the pandemic, but it’s available via eBay, albeit at an inflated cost.

‘Rogue One’ 4K UHD presentation is beautiful, with a deeply rich colour palette and some really nice HDR highlights. I’m expecting the same from TFA and a stonking Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Regards,
James.

Buckster666

The beginning of the end of Star Wars.

howieeb

I enjoyed this and had high hopes for the new trilogy. The Last Jedi completely dashed those, though, and it didn't get better from there. Rogue One, Solo (criminally underratred) and Mandalorian show Disney can still do decent Star Wars, but the recent trilogy has been unwatched and purged from my personal canon.

hancock54

And a long with ‘Rogue One’, there is no UK stand-alone 4K UHD disc release of ‘The Force Awakens’. Absolutely bonkers! Mine is turning up from the US today. I don’t understand Disney’s Marvell/Star Wars UK disc release strategy at all.

Amazon US isn’t shipping to the UK during the pandemic, but it’s available via eBay, albeit at an inflated cost.

‘Rogue One’ 4K UHD presentation is beautiful, with a deeply rich colour palette and some really nice HDR highlights. I’m expecting the same from TFA and a stonking Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Regards,
James.
Is there no word of a individual uk release of 4K Star Wars films yet box set looks nice but apparently discs are very tight to get out

THX1138UK

Is there no word of a individual uk release of 4K Star Wars films yet box set looks nice but apparently discs are very tight to get out
There is no news on UK release dates for standalone titles and that's the part that's makes no sense. Excluding, 'The Last Jedi' and 'The Rise of Skywalker' which already do have UK 4K UHD discs releases.

I don't want the prequels and I don't want the CGI modified versions of the original trilogy - and £200 box set doesn't include 'Rogue One'!

I'm happy with the US editions of 'Rogue One' and 'The Force Awakens' to make up my 4K collection. 'Rogue One' is the disc that I keep going back to. It's brilliant.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:

KennyB33

Do we know if the 4K TFA Falcon/Tie Fighter chase goes full screen like it did at the cinema? I was disappointed that we didn’t get that on the original home release. If it doesn’t then I won’t be double dipping for this one😬

Dorian

I feel like buying this after reading the review, sounds like a great disc. I remember seeing it at the cinema and being disappointed by the rehashed plot, but every time I've seen bits of it since it's impressed me a lot more. Very well made film

Panavision

I didn't like the movie. A lot of issues like:
Who is the First Order?
How did it come to be?
Leia and Solo were such bad parents.
Luke, Han and Leia didn't get to be together in the movie.
Han's death.
Luke doesn't run away and hide.

THX1138UK

I didn't like the movie. A lot of issues like:
Who is the First Order?
How did it come to be?
Leia and Solo were such bad parents.
Luke, Han and Leia didn't get to be together in the movie.
Han's death.
Luke doesn't run away and hide.
Biggest disappointment was the lack of Han, Luke & Leia having any shared screen time. It could have so easily been worked into the final act. It would have been so much better for Rey to complete her quest and to bring Luke back for the final show-down, only for Luke to fail and see Han’s demise.

A missed opportunity.

Regards,
James.

The_Wierd

Terrible movie. In fact all three sequels are just irredeemable garbage.

The prequels are hugely flawed, but have just enough good stuff to sit through, and however badly they execute it, at least tell a consistent story.

I didn't really like FA when I first saw it, but didn't hate it, and a second viewing at home made it apparent that without big-screen spectacle, there was just nothing of substance. Random scenes with non-characters making illogical and badly explained choices - nothing more than amateurish fan-fiction.

On first watch I actually mildly liked Last Jedi, and could appreciate an attempt to at least do something different, but in retrospect I see it as a remixed rehash of Empire, and all the interesting aspects were completely discarded by the third sequel anyway, making it irrelevant.

I will qualify that by saying that's what appeared to happen the first half of Skywalker as it was so bad I couldn't even finish it, and no inclination to find out what happens - I just didn't care by that point. The only good thing i can say is that at least the sequels do nothing to diminish the original trilogy. I can watch up to Jedi and quite happily accept that's the end of the story, no need to watch the rest at all.

Of the new movies, Rogue One is the only one I can say I actually like. (We will not speak of Solo, it does not exist in my universe). It's not a perfect movie and tells a pointless side-story that needed no explanation, but it creates more interesting and memorable characters in the one movie, than the sequels manage in all three.

The Mandalorian is really great though, so at least there is some hope for the franchise.

AndyThorn

Any suggestions on good sites to get hold of the US version of this and Rogue One?

lukather101

Just ordered Rogue one from Amazon Germany for £27

Last edited:

Evinger

Any suggestions on good sites to get hold of the US version of this and Rogue One?
Just ordered Rogue one from Amazon Germany for £27
I was about to suggest the same. It is released on April 30th here. Of course the cover is in German, but the Disks have the English Soundtracks. Shipping to the UK is a bit steep, but... 🤷‍♂️

Evinger

I'm happy with the US editions of 'Rogue One' and 'The Force Awakens' to make up my 4K collection. 'Rogue One' is the disc that I keep going back to. It's brilliant.
Quick question - what is the Audio Format for the US edition of Rogue One? At the moment, websites pre-selling the German copy seem to indicate Englisch DTS-HD 7.1, but there are variations (DTS-HD 5.1 also stated, & a wide variety on the German spec front.) Nobody shows a rear cover, & I'll know in 3 Days, but just interested as part of the anticipation :D

THX1138UK

I got the US disc from the eBay store: toysandfilms. Shipping was extremely fast, but it was a little pricey.

Regards,
James.

Trending threads

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky HDR launch rumoured for 27th of May
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony 2020 8K LED and 48-inch OLED TV prices leaked
  • By Andy Bassett