Quantcast

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Thanks Simon.

Hell, Ill kick things off. 7/10 for the movie?! Wow. Its easily a 9/10 for me just for the nostalgia value! Its not up to the first two but its still ridiculously entertaining and well...if you were a kid in the 80's you will know what I mean!

Dans1210

In case i missed it what was the sound system used for this review?

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
The PQ on these should be immaculate. This is a total disgrace. It's almost like they've deliberately done it so they can sell new copies in a few years. Oh and don't forget the awful added bits that weren't in the original theatrical releases, you'll definitely want to be buying those too. If they're feeling really generous you might get both next time. People should be boycotting this release that has such messy and inconsistent PQ.

Panavision

It was the first Star Wars film I saw at the cinema. It was a magical experience, so for that reason alone I love Jedi. But on closer scrutiny, the film isn't so good. Many lazy choices.

The second Death Star. YAWN
Death Star's security flaw. LOL
Han Solo and Leia don't do anything interesting in terms of character.
Ewoks defeat the stormtroopers too easily.
Too kiddy.

But it features my favourite space battle.
Luke's battle to rescue his father from the dark side is very emotional.
Love the rousing ending.

In Rinzler's book it's apparent that George was tired of it and wanted it to end.

Dorian

Good review. It's a hard film to rate because it's a solid effort and great entertainment but just falls short of greatness. I would put it between 7 and 8.

It is/was the perfect film for kids and has aged well in that respect, my daughter was bored by Empire but loved this one. And I liked it more as an adult than I expected to as well.

Last edited:

Rawschach

The Jabba section is one of the best things in Star Wars. The Rancor is fantastic, the characters in the Palace are great and the Sarlaac section is excellent. Plus Leia in a gold bikini....

Yes George did his best to ruin it (Max Rebo band, the terrible CGI thing coming out of the Sarlaac pit) but it is still great. Jabba in particular is a wonderful creation. When he laughs at Leia and Han - just brilliant.

Wookies would have been much better than Ewoks but we still get the speeder bikes and the AT-STs which are excellent

Love Return of the Jedi - weakest of the original 3 but it was a high benchmark.

Graham

Thanks Simon - nice review.

I have a lot of love for this film even though Harrison Ford is basically wasted and the special edition additions are mostly hideous, in particular the execrable new song at Jabba’s palace and Vader’s criminal ‘Noooo!’ But the final lightsaber fight between Luke and Vader is sensational, as is the Death Star attack, and I have to say I don’t mind the Ewoks!

It’s also the most nostalgic for me as it was the end of an era and I felt strangely empty in the time afterwards as I thought we’d never get any more Star Wars...

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review - loved this as a kid when it was released, the speeder bikes, the final space battle, the sarlaac pit....I just lapped it up as a kid and bought all the toys !

The "new" additions to this were not needed at the time and still not...other than maybe the other planet celebrations at the end to tie it into the prequels.

Graham

Thanks for the review - loved this as a kid when it was released, the speeder bikes, the final space battle, the sarlaac pit....I just lapped it up as a kid and bought all the toys !

The "new" additions to this were not needed at the time and still not...other than maybe the other planet celebrations at the end to tie it into the prequels.
I struggle with the new music as they replaced the ‘Yub Nub’ song, which to me was a thing of beauty at the time as a ‘youngling’ and I still feel nostalgic about! It segued into the music beautifully, but the new score is pretty clumsy in the edit to the titles.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I struggle with the new music as they replaced the ‘Yub Nub’ song, which to me was a thing of beauty at the time as a ‘youngling’ and I still feel nostalgic about! It segued into the music beautifully, but the new score is pretty clumsy in the edit to the titles.
Yes, the music isn’t great in comparison to that “classic”, but the added scenes try to bring some scale to the celebrations.
I found in interesting in the trailer that was included in the review, that the narration called it the “next chapter” in the Star Wars adventure.....I always thought when it came out that it was meant to be the final chapter. But then I was only a kid so probably not really paying attention 😀

Indiana Jones

Funny thing is that my very first exposure to Return of the Jedi was the 97 SE so I never even heard the ‘Yub Nub’ song until many years later when I got a copy of the Laserdisc on DVD and I did not care for it at all and too this day still prefer the ending of the SE (before Hayden appeared in 2005) but I am sure I would also dislike the new ending if I had grown up watching the theatrical cut, those experiences when we are younger certainly colour of feelings/opinions for the rest of our lives.

Evinger

Thanks Simon.
This would have been so better if it had been Wookies not Ewoks. Even as a fan by then watching it in the Cinema on release, they looked "wrong" as a fighting force. Lots of great bits in this Movie, though, & the semi-return of Vader to the "Good Side" is still a momentous thing.
Note:
Given that Darth Maul and the Emperor (AND Luke, as far as Darth Vader knows at the time) "Die" by dropping down a shaft, but then return in later episodes, a note to future combatants - kill them in your sight, then burn the bodies from now on!

terencejames

I went to the cinema 7 times to see this. My dad also managed to hook a dodgy copy from Bahrain which I would watch every Sunday morning along with a dodgy copy of Rocky 3.

Although it's not as good as the previous two, it's still an amazing film. I know Lucas gets a lot of crap but he gave us Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ILM & sowed the seeds that is now Pixar. That's a hell of a legacy.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Thanks Simon.

Hell, Ill kick things off. 7/10 for the movie?! Wow. Its easily a 9/10 for me just for the nostalgia value! Its not up to the first two but its still ridiculously entertaining and well...if you were a kid in the 80's you will know what I mean!
Couldn’t agree more. Even the Ewoks can’t spoil it. Maybe because its the first SW movie I saw. Imagine my shock to see Luke as such a dweeb in the first one. :D

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Couldn’t agree more. Even the Ewoks can’t spoil it. Maybe because its the first SW movie I saw. Imagine my shock to see Luke as such a dweeb in the first one. :D
Haha! As little kids we all wanted to be Han lol. I made my little brother be Luke because he had blond hair!

Indiana Jones

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I'm so pleased for both you.....you could have made him a "Princess" ! ;)
As I recall...Princess Leia was either next door or across the road and might have been Sarah or Leigh-Ann :D I am not sure they knew that they were Princess Leia mind...

Monkeyjunk

Standard Member
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. But are these original movies getting stand alone 4k UHD releases in the UK? I understand this has happened already in the US? I'm an old 70s kid and only have an urge to buy the original trilogy in 4k the rest I'm happy with on Blu Ray or Disney+.

Having bought multiple formats over the years including Laserdiscs and wide-screen VHS I just can't justify the £200 box set to myself. Even though it does look a like well presented box set.

Evinger

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. But are these original movies getting stand alone 4k UHD releases in the UK? I understand this has happened already in the US? I'm an old 70s kid and only have an urge to buy the original trilogy in 4k the rest I'm happy with on Blu Ray or Disney+.

Having bought multiple formats over the years including Laserdiscs and wide-screen VHS I just can't justify the £200 box set to myself. Even though it does look a like well presented box set.
Cannot speak for the UK, but via Amazon.de, available from Germany on April 30th

geogan

I watched the first half of this tonight, yes many shots in forest were terribly badly focused, I don’t know how professional cameramen at the time could do such a bad job. No amount of 4K scanning and restoration could fix those. I also noticed they mostly desaturated the colours.

corban

7/10 is such a disappointing score and these kind of things make me want to read reviews less and less. So much focus put on what happened next is not a reason to mark this film down, I understand it’s subjective but this is something personally I disagree with strongly.

Trending threads

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky HDR launch rumoured for 27th of May
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony 2020 8K LED and 48-inch OLED TV prices leaked
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi launches iPhono3 Black Label phono stage