Quantcast

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

raduv1

Distinguished Member
It is a shame that these films are not given the love that they dersevre on disc . I know they are better than the D+ offerings but not quite enough to purchase .

That said ANH and this I will indeed purchase down the line . Rogue One is the review I'm waiting on.

Indiana Jones

It is a shame that these films are not given the love that they dersevre on disc . I know they are better than the D+ offerings but not quite enough to purchase .

That said ANH and this I will indeed purchase down the line . Rogue One is the review I'm waiting on.
Well Rogue One is not part of the set neither does it have a UK release so not sure there will be a review but fully expect that to receive top marks all round.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Well Rogue One is not part of the set neither does it have a UK release so not sure there will be a review but fully expect that to receive top marks all round.
It's winging its way to me from the US, so I'll get you a review... eventually. Can't wait for it to arrive. Everything a modern Star Wars film could and should be.

bellsy1946

True, but whilst most people reading will be basing it solely on picture and audio quality, there are still plenty of people who have yet to see it for the first time. A seemingly rare breed , but there are plenty of potential younger viewers with a newer interest in the franchise who might want to know ( and others who want to see simply if older flicks still hold up). That's why AVF enforce a strict no spoiler policy. As much as passionate filmgoers like to assume everyone must have at the very least dabbled with the likes of this, Shawshank, etc, it's not always the case. For instance, I've still to see Citizen Kane, Once Upon On A Time In The West, or Casablanca. I only very recently saw 12 Angry Men for example. :facepalm:
:( Very jealous that you have still to see these, Casablanca is my favourite film overall, and Once...in the West my favourite western. What I wouldn't give to experience them for the first time again. Can only hope that they get the 4K treatment they deserve. Respect and admire Kane but can't really say I like it.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
True, but whilst most people reading will be basing it solely on picture and audio quality, there are still plenty of people who have yet to see it for the first time. A seemingly rare breed , but there are plenty of potential younger viewers with a newer interest in the franchise who might want to know ( and others who want to see simply if older flicks still hold up). That's why AVF enforce a strict no spoiler policy. As much as passionate filmgoers like to assume everyone must have at the very least dabbled with the likes of this, Shawshank, etc, it's not always the case. For instance, I've still to see Citizen Kane, Once Upon On A Time In The West, or Casablanca. I only very recently saw 12 Angry Men for example. :facepalm:
Wow. Of those you mentioned, you really should just buy a cheap copy of Once Upon a Time in the West. Leone's films are all superb but one or two are the penultimate....this is one of them (along with TGTBATU of course).

raduv1

Distinguished Member
It's winging its way to me from the US, so I'll get you a review... eventually. Can't wait for it to arrive. Everything a modern Star Wars film could and should be.
Great news on that front mate on a review, totally agree 're modern SW films as in RO not sugar coating the rebel scum ;) and how dirty this struggle would actually be . It actually made a welcome and surprising change of pace to a waining SW universe bogged down with that Messiah complex. I look foward to the review :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . The lil people not forgotten in this film.

Last edited:

WhyDoIBother

Another awesome review, though regarding picture flaws totally begs the question if they had used current tech on the 2012 master instead of the likely 7 or 8 year old scans could it have been better? I suppose it was too much to ask as Disney push their digital platform but then disappointment on some level and star wars has gone hand in hand for decades now...

Spot on about Kershner with Lucas taking a back seat but don't forget Gary Kurtz also played a big hand in making ESB what it is, someone who definitely 'got' what made Star Wars great first time round. Here's the excellent 'lost' ESB doc for anyone interested, that has plenty of Kurtz, Kershner and many others that made ESB the best of the bunch discussing the film making process.

The "Lost" Empire Strikes Back Documentary by Michel Parbot (1980)

encaser

I didn't think the PQ was just a seven and wonder if viewing on an OLED helped things as opposed to the reviewer's LED?

Last edited:

Dixie4

I didn't think the PQ was a just seven and wonder if viewing on an OLED helped things as opposed to the reviewer's LED?
I agree. 7 for PQ is very surprising ! I'm watching this again right now, previously watched during the day, definitely getting an even better impression. Watching on my Panasonic GZ950. I think all reviews should be using an OLED TV.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Wow. Of those you mentioned, you really should just buy a cheap copy of Once Upon a Time in the West. Leone's films are all superb but one or two are the penultimate....this is one of them (along with TGTBATU of course).
OUATITW - the Eastwood films are great but....Charlie Bronson, Claudia Cardinale and the Harmonica theme!!!

And The Empire Strikes Back is a 10 for me. ;)

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I didn't think the PQ was just a seven and wonder if viewing on an OLED helped things as opposed to the reviewer's LED?
I agree. 7 for PQ is very surprising ! I'm watching this again right now, previously watched during the day, definitely getting an even better impression. Watching on my Panasonic GZ950. I think all reviews should be using an OLED TV.
Did you guys actually read the review or just look at the score?
1C04C960-E6A5-4309-9614-AEECD219E163.jpeg

An OLED isn’t going to fix the mentioned flaws in the transfer.

richp007

Distinguished Member
The pinnacle of all the Star Wars films for me, but obviously very closely followed by this one of course.

Could well be my first 4K purchase when it hits over here.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
OUATITW - the Eastwood films are great but....Charlie Bronson, Claudia Cardinale and the Harmonica theme!!!

And The Empire Strikes Back is a 10 for me. ;)
Not to mention Henry Fonda as one of the best BAD guys of all time!

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
It's possibly worth noting also that Simon is reviewing all these back to back almost so if one film can get it right and another doesn't then that is bound to get your heckles up.

DazzaS83

Who noticed this during the Wompa scene? I have only seen this for the first time in 4K. I went back to my blu ray and dvd editions and couldn't see it. Looks like the galaxy is not so far, far way!

20200425_172152.jpg

Last edited:

Evinger

Who noticed this during the Wompa scene? I have only seen this for the first time in 4K. I went back to my ablu ray and dvd edition and couldn't see it. Looks like the galaxy is not so far, far way!

View attachment 1289095
So now we know what Planet that truly is!
l7sdq.jpg

Evinger

Individual OT 4K versions released in Germany April 30th on Amazon.de

the hoff

I am up to Jedi now (tonight's viewing) in the set and agree with the review in that the picture quality of ESB is not quite as good as ANH (which I think is probably the best of the set so far - excluding some of the awful CG inserts)

I must also confess that I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed TPM and AOTC, as I'd not seen either for more than 10 years (I've never owned the blurays, as I knew they were planning to rescan in 4K)...ROTS I always thought was the best of the prequels anyway

Empire is still the best even if ANH is still my favourite just for the sheer nostalgia value!

the hoff

As for the picture quality score, I think it depends a lot on what you are comparing it to. Compared to something like John Wick 2 or Infinity War, I think a 7 is pretty fair (and as above, it's definitely not quite as good as ANH or ROTS)...compared to the last time I saw it on DVD it's a 10 but that's not really the proper comparison to make. I would say that ANH was amazing PQ wise and maybe watching this first skewed my impressions of Empire...

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded