Quantcast

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Graham

Thanks Simon! I never thought I’d hear the phrase ‘sonic orgasm’ on avforums but there’s a first time for everything!

Last edited:

Graham

PS for me this is the absolute jewel in the crown of Star Wars, a fabulous film. I can’t believe there is some funky processing going on, it’s a ridiculous state of affairs for what should be really the release of the year. But the chances of getting a version without all those issues anytime soon are presumably zero.

PS also to be rejoiced as a film because it has the fewest of the awful updated CGI comic creature additions of the OT.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Nice review. A 9/10 for the film itself? Well, obviously everyone's different, but to me this represents absolute cinematic perfection. A 10 all day long, and my go-to comfort movie if I ever need a big pick me up (despite its dark tone). It's just a combination of the terrific story, great chemistry with the leads, huge emotional suckerpunches (that STILL work), and big nostalgia blast, all accompanied by a wonderful sweeping score by John Williams that for my money has yet to be bested. Did I mention that I liked it?;)

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas! I never thought I’d hear the phrase ‘sonic orgasm’ on avforums but there’s a first time for everything!
Simon has changed his name to Cas I see? ;)

mossym

Distinguished Member
seriously, who is reading the review to see what score is given to the movie itself? surely the only thing anyone cares about is how it looks and sounds, is anyone going to say yay/nay to this based on a 9 or 10 to the movie?

Dubliner1

...several issues with the picture quality and still a 9/10?...confused!

SickCanary

Given the picture is slightly less than 'knock-out' has anybody been able to compare the soundtrack of disc vs Disney+. Discs are usually worth the cash for the better pciture, but in this case....

Evinger

Thanks Simon. This is the one in 4K I REALLY want to own. (Next to Rogue One, which should arrive May1st! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:)
Really surprised/annoyed that there are still issues with the upgrade. Are Disney just being cheap? Did they perhaps not put enough people on it to deliver in time?

A universe where numbers are not your strong point.
Ah! Cas can now sit back, crack open the beverage of choice, & watch the chaos from afar, after all the Hoo-Ha with his reviews of the Prequel.
Good for you! :thumbsup:

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I thought it looked incredible. Best I've seen it in years. I understand that some of the digital dickery has baked in DNR. Some of the Bespin scenes looked a little soft to me but overall I'm amazed how good it looks. I've said elsewhere, you can almost smell the grease in the Hoth hanger scenes.

Hoth is no longer a blue tinged mess and Lando hasn't got the Oompa Loompa glow any more.

Evinger

I thought it looked incredible. Best I've seen it in years. I understand that some of the digital dickery has baked in DNR. Some of the Bespin scenes looked a little soft to me but overall I'm amazed how good it looks. I've said elsewhere, you can almost smell the grease in the Hoth hanger scenes.

Hoth is no longer a blue tinged mess and Lando hasn't got the Oompa Loompa glow any more.
Is this the Disk or the Disney+ version?

Drax1

Distinguished Member
seriously, who is reading the review to see what score is given to the movie itself? surely the only thing anyone cares about is how it looks and sounds, is anyone going to say yay/nay to this based on a 9 or 10 to the movie?
True, but whilst most people reading will be basing it solely on picture and audio quality, there are still plenty of people who have yet to see it for the first time. A seemingly rare breed , but there are plenty of potential younger viewers with a newer interest in the franchise who might want to know ( and others who want to see simply if older flicks still hold up). That's why AVF enforce a strict no spoiler policy. As much as passionate filmgoers like to assume everyone must have at the very least dabbled with the likes of this, Shawshank, etc, it's not always the case. For instance, I've still to see Citizen Kane, Once Upon On A Time In The West, or Casablanca. I only very recently saw 12 Angry Men for example. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review of this and ANH......I'm reasonably pleased with the blurays so the upgrade sounds good ! My biggest concern is whether Disney will tinker with these again for another 4k release in a year or two that has improved PQ as a few reviews have suggested these are an opportunity missed to really go "wow"...., because £200 is a lot to shell out for the set.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas, Simon or whoever you are :laugh:, everybody's favourite certainly mine from the original trilogy (along with the original of course) ... good to hear as a whole the picture is marvellous..omitting the bits you mentioned...i cannot wait to get atmos capability at home but not possible at the moment. i have been watching the movies in sequence to the reviews, but there coming thick and fast now so cant keep up.

Indiana Jones

Thanks Simon. This is the one in 4K I REALLY want to own. (Next to Rogue One, which should arrive May1st! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:)
Really surprised/annoyed that there are still issues with the upgrade. Are Disney just being cheap? Did they perhaps not put enough people on it to deliver in time?
From what I have read the transfers were done back in 2012 and supervised by GL so they certainly didn’t rush these out lol sadly it’s just yet another in along line of sub-par home video releases.

Evinger

From what I have read the transfers were done back in 2012 and supervised by GL so they certainly didn’t rush these out lol sadly it’s just yet another in along line of sub-par home video releases.
If that is correct, that is indeed sad

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Well, this will do until 4K80 turns up.

Trending threads

Latest News

CES 2021 to go ahead 'in person'
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published