Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker Review & Comments

Amateur😂 I saw a A New Hope 17 times in ‘78. Then there were the ‘79, ‘80 re-releases... the ‘82 double bills with Empire... the triple-bills in ‘84...😀
I only saw it once in the cinema on the way back from an airshow at Biggin Hill (if I remember correctly). The start isn't very exciting and I still remember not being very impressed. Of course as the film went on everything changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amateur😂 I saw a A New Hope 17 times in ‘78. Then there were the ‘79, ‘80 re-releases... the ‘82 double bills with Empire... the triple-bills in ‘84...😀
I only saw it once in the cinema on the way back from an airshow at Biggin Hill (if I remember correctly). The start isn't very exciting and still remember not being very impressed. Of course as the film went on everything changed.
Leicester Square Theatre. Bunch of us travelled down, watched it, then sat at the Station until the first train in the Morning. First time there, so on top of the Movie stunning us, the uptick in quality from our regular Cinema in Derby was the iceing on the cake!
Of course, we all went to see it again in Derby, & I remember everyone was driving their cars home like X-wings down the dual carriageways after :)

Ah, going to the Cinema! 😒

You have no idea how jealous I am! To see the originals in the cinema! I was 7 when the special editions came out on VHS and Phantom Menace was the first one I saw in the pictures when I was 9.
Would have loved to see the OT in cinemas when it came out!
Hmmm, what would I prefer? The privilege of seeing the original Star Wars in the cinema or being 10 years younger? lol ;)

Amateur😂 I saw a A New Hope 17 times in ‘78. Then there were the ‘79, ‘80 re-releases... the ‘82 double bills with Empire... the triple-bills in ‘84...

There was a time when I would've given my eye teeth to have experienced the first two films during their original release but now they're 43 and 40 years old :eek: and been repeatedly sullied for 23 years 😞 I now take comfort in having seeing them in the cinema multiple times before they became Frankenstein's 'Maclunkey' and experienced the phenomenon that was the Kenner toys.

Would have loved to see the OT in cinemas when it came out!

If you haven't already get a hold of 4k77 for the closest experience to seeing the original film sans all the digital crap, an absolute joy to watch. There's also a 4k83 available and 4k80 is on it's way.

If you want jealous, my brother and I won two tickets to the London premier of Return Of The Jedi in Leicester Square from a competition in Star Wars Magazine, and we met David Prowse and Anthony Daniels. I was 9. :D

There was a time when I would've given my eye teeth to have experienced the first two films during their original release but now they're 43 and 40 years old :eek: and been repeatedly sullied for 23 years 😞 I now take comfort in having seeing them in the cinema multiple times before they became Frankenstein's 'Maclunkey'
I saw Star Wars later on its run which apparently means that the version I saw is a little different to the original original version. Mr Lucas was tinkering with the film even then. Think about how difficult distribution would be back then without digital distribution.

I've come to realise that being young now isn't worth missing out on some great events in time:laugh:. So take comfort in that. My favourite singers were all in their prime in the 80s. Most of them are dead now. So if I could trade being being 30 for 48 or more. See the OT in their original form when they were in cinemas and see my favourite singers in concert during their prime I would :clap:. I'd wager being 20 something in the 80s was more carefree than now. This is the Instagram generation. Everything is a constant competition 🥴

I've come to realise that being young now isn't worth missing out on some great events in time:laugh:. So take comfort in that. My favourite singers were all in their prime in the 80s. Most of them are dead now. So if I could trade being being 30 for 48 or more. See the OT in their original form when they were in cinemas and see my favourite singers in concert during their prime I would :clap:. I'd wager being 20 something in the 80s was more carefree than now. This is the Instagram generation. Everything is a constant competition 🥴
It's kind of weird. I definitely wouldn't want to be growing up now. I'm not sure you can really have a childhood anymore. But at the same time, younger is younger. You have an old soul mate lol.

I saw Star Wars later on its run which apparently means that the version I saw is a little different to the original original version. Mr Lucas was tinkering with the film even then. Think about how difficult distribution would be back then without digital distribution.

Haha, yeah I suppose we should be grateful the tinkering back then at least aged appropriately and didn't need updating every time a new format came into being. And of course back then Lucas still had people around him not scared to say 'that's a sh**e idea mate'.

At least the Maclunkey 4k versions have been de-magenta-tised apparently, baby steps...

If you want jealous, my brother and I won two tickets to the London premier of Return Of The Jedi in Leicester Square from a competition in Star Wars Magazine, and we met David Prowse and Anthony Daniels. I was 9. :D

I'll take your Prowse and Daniels and raise you a dinner with Admiral Ozzel, a lengthy chat with Stuart Freeborn and a handshake from none other than... Gold leader! I was a grown up acting like a kid :laugh:

Mostly occurred due to implausible happenstance, like the plot to the last film (ducking for cover :eek:)

It's kind of weird. I definitely wouldn't want to be growing up now. I'm not sure you can really have a childhood anymore. But at the same time, younger is younger. You have an old soul mate lol.
I'm not happy to be 64 (on the outside), but would not swap what I experienced in my earlier years for anything!

Haha, yeah I suppose we should be grateful the tinkering back then at least aged appropriately and didn't need updating every time a new format came into being. And of course back then Lucas still had people around him not scared to say 'that's a sh**e idea mate'.

At least the Maclunkey 4k versions have been de-magenta-tised apparently, baby steps...
I still recognise A New Hope as a game changer, and the Empire Strikes Back as the best of the series (along with Rogue One). But between Lucas's meddling and the Disney disaster, I've pretty much lost any real love for Star Wars.
I'll take your Prowse and Daniels and raise you a dinner with Admiral Ozzel, a lengthy chat with Stuart Freeborn and a handshake from none other than... Gold leader! I was a grown up acting like a kid :laugh:

Mostly occurred due to implausible happenstance, like the plot to the last film (ducking for cover :eek:)
Just a reminder that I like Star Wars but I'm not a REAL Star Wars fan. Prowse and Daniels I obviously know, but the rest? lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just born the year the original Star Wars came out. But I have to say the way it ended is really awesome.

I still recognise A New Hope as a game changer, and the Empire Strikes Back as the best of the series (along with Rogue One). But between Lucas's meddling and the Disney disaster, I've pretty much lost any real love for Star Wars.

Yeah, 43 years with more than half being filled with disappointment and a good few WTAF moments tends to do that, there are really only 3.5 (.5 being Rogue One) Star Wars films as far as I'm concerned now and the only reason I'd watch any of the others is if my kids want to see them.

Although I'll no doubt buy the 3 films along with Rogue one on 4k because I'm a sucker and have done for every other 'new' format release I suspect my preference will likely always be watching the originals via 4k77, 4k83 and then 4k80 when it's released unless Disney give Lucas another 2 fingered salute and release the original cuts - which Disney have confirmed they have all the material preserved to do so.

I can't recommend 4k77 enough, yes it looks like something from the 70s far more than anything released post 97 and it's show all the flaws in the techniques used to make it so clearly but that to me that just highlights the amazing effort that went into this film at that time in creating the game changer. Iconic from start to finish.

Just a reminder that I like Star Wars but I'm not a REAL Star Wars fan. Prowse and Daniels I obviously know, but the rest? lol.

Reply was just a joke it really was happenstance though, I have no interest in meeting 'celebs' or 'heroes' in person... In saying that Mr Bronson and Stuart Freeborn (created Yoda) had great stories to tell and not just about Star Wars.

Can anyone clear up my confusion regarding TRoS UK digital release date.
Looking online I'm hearing that the film had its digital release in mid to late March and various Youtube sites are saying that its out now, but I can't see it on Windows Film & TV or anywhere else for that matter.

Can anyone clear up my confusion regarding TRoS UK digital release date.
Looking online I'm hearing that the film had its digital release in mid to late March and various Youtube sites are saying that its out now, but I can't see it on Windows Film & TV or anywhere else for that matter.

The early release is US only, it seems. Still have to wait to mid April for some reason here.

Apparently usa 4k blu with bluray is completely region free, i ordered a copy yesterday, will report back on my findings.

Apparently usa 4k blu with bluray is completely region free, i ordered a copy yesterday, will report back on my findings.

Where did you buy it from and how long is the shipping?

Last edited:

I believe that all 4K UHD blu-rays Disks are Region Free.
However, I don't know about the "Standard" version or the extras that are on the accompanying blu-ray disk

Ebay, apparently will be posted beginning of april. Uk sourced. So im hoping the first week of April. I have the digital version, its good but not overly impressed with the audio.

I believe that all 4K blu-rays Disks are Region Free.
Im aware of that but there’s reports the standard bluray in the package is also region free. Plus I really wanted this slip cover art.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I personally think RoS is the best one from the sequels. I remember, watching it in the Cinema, that I thought it was over quite quickly - which is always a good sign when watching a film.

Like others, I had hoped for Luke and / or Anakin to play a bigger role than they actually did, but overall I liked it.

For me, the worst of the films remains PM. Only things I enjoy from that are the Podrace and Duel of the Fates to be honest.

I personally think RoS is the best one from the sequels. I remember, watching it in the Cinema, that I thought it was over quite quickly - which is always a good sign when watching a film.

Like others, I had hoped for Luke and / or Anakin to play a bigger role than they actually did, but overall I liked it.

For me, the worst of the films remains PM. Only things I enjoy from that are the Podrace and Duel of the Fates to be honest.

You enjoyed more about 'The Phantom Menace' than I did ;-)
I definitely agree it's the worsted - although that flying R2D2 scene in 'Attack of the Clones' and the silly Dex Diner sequence in 'Revenge of the Sith' (another CGI abomination), makes me want to never watch any of the prequels ever again.

I enjoyed flying to Los Angeles, eating a burger at Hamburger Hamlet and being in line with my pre-booked ticket to see the the very first public screening at the Chinese Theatre. I enjoyed all the anticipation and media buzz around the event; the crazy scenes of people who had literally been camped outside the theatre for days if not weeks (seriously - why did they not pre-booked their tickets?).

But it was clear almost immediately that 'The Phantom Menace' wasn't what any of the fans who crowed into the movie theatre were hoping to see. Great event - terrible film. Rumours were abound that George Lucas himself was in the VIP balcony to witness the reaction of their first public screening. No idea if this is true.

I still have my ticket :)

I enjoyed the recent Trilogy more - but IMHO 'Rogue One' is by far the best Star Wars movie since 1983. And the only one I didn't travel to the US to see (duh!).

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom