Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker Review & Comments

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I don't think it really had to "fix" much. Only set up the "new" bad guy, set a timer, and then create an unnecessarily convoluted way of getting to him. The main part of the film - Rey and Ren - really just picks up where TLJ left off and really benefits from the setup.

I think Carrie Fisher's death, and the desire to include her, created the most problems for the film. They dealt with it pretty well, all things and constraints (no CGI) concerned.

Agreed on Grant though -
killing him was a foolish idea. They should have kept a few bad-guy strands going for future films/TV shows and he'd have been a perfect option.

Kwman

Watched this last night and I thought it was really bad. I ended up falling asleep. I suppose I need to buy the BR to finish off the collection and find out what I missed.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I don't think it really had to "fix" much. Only set up the "new" bad guy, set a timer, and then create an unnecessarily convoluted way of getting to him. The main part of the film - Rey and Ren - really just picks up where TLJ left off and really benefits from the setup.
See, that sounds like quite a bit to me :)

Fix may be the wrong word. Unpick possibly, like: "Hey, we tried to knit a jumper but Rian turned it into a rug... I guess we could make a poncho. Do you think people would notice?"

Kevin Smith nails it when he said some stuff sounded "1st draft". It finds the way, we'll call it a wayfinder. As a variant of a holocron it could have had a better name.

I think Carrie Fisher's death, and the desire to include her, created the most problems for the film. They dealt with it pretty well, all things and constraints (no CGI) concerned.
I liked to see her in it. She didn't actually say anything important to the proceedings, but who did (aside from all the exposition)? :)

The training flashback did look like a videogame cut-scene.

Favourite scene:

Chewie finally got a medal.

Last edited:

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Kevin Smith nails it when he said some stuff sounded "1st draft". It finds the way, we'll call it a wayfinder. As a variant of a holocron it could have had a better name.
Totally agreed - it should have just been a holocron. Already exists in the canon, not too hard for newbies to pick up on. Less clunky.

Comparing the movie to The Mandalorian, which interweaves objects and characters from the canon without over-exposition, it really seems like TV is the way to go. They just seem to have to dumb it down too much for the movies.

Fillumgeek

See, that sounds like quite a bit to me :)

Fix may be the wrong word. Unpick possibly, like: "Hey, we tried to knit a jumper but Rian turned it into a rug... I guess we could make a poncho. Do you think people would notice?"

I liked to see her in it. She didn't actually say anything important to the proceedings, but who did (aside from all the exposition)? :)

The training flashback did look like a videogame cut-scene.

Favourite scene:

Chewie finally got a medal.
I have to give credit to Kevin Smith for saying anything at all close to criticism of the movie, given that he is in the film, on the personal invitation of JJ Abrams.

Can you imagine him saying he didn't like the movie, or that it was bad in a number of ways?

I didn't like the Chewie thing. As someone wiser than me said, "Don't give fans what they want, give them something they didn't know they wanted and therefore surprise them."

I don't think filmmakers should listen to fans, they should instead write and direct the best movie possible; satisfying their own creative ambition and being true to the characters they have at their disposal.

Did JJ do that with this film?

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I have to give credit to Kevin Smith for saying anything at all close to criticism of the movie, given that he is in the film, on the personal invitation of JJ Abrams.

Can you imagine him saying he didn't like the movie, or that it was bad in a number of ways?

I didn't like the Chewie thing. As someone wiser than me said, "Don't give fans what they want, give them something they didn't know they wanted and therefore surprise them."

I don't think filmmakers should listen to fans, they should instead write and direct the best movie possible; satisfying their own creative ambition and being true to the characters they have at their disposal.

Did JJ do that with this film?
To an extent perhaps, but mostly no. I don't think its possible to make a star wars film without reacting to fans.

Attack of the Clones was an answer to fan dislike of The Phantom Menace (less Jar Jar, less kids, more stormtroopers, more lightsabers, more Natalie Portman's midriff).

The Force Awakens was an answer to fan dislike of the prequels (more practical effects, more traditional adventure, more emphasis on character chemistry- less midichlorians).

The Last Jedi was an answer to fan dislike of the Force Awakens (less fan service, less copycat storytelling, more subverting expectations).

Rise of Skywalker was an answer to fan dislike hatred of The Last Jedi (less subverting expectations, more fan service, less Rose Tico).

The fans have more control over star wars than they realise, problem is its a fools errand trying to please us. There is no pleasing everyone.

Fillumgeek

To an extent perhaps, but mostly no. I don't think its possible to make a star wars film without reacting to fans.

Attack of the Clones was an answer to fan dislike of The Phantom Menace (less Jar Jar, less kids, more stormtroopers, more lightsabers, more Natalie Portman's midriff).

The Force Awakens was an answer to fan dislike of the prequels (more practical effects, more traditional adventure, more emphasis on character chemistry- less midichlorians).

The Last Jedi was an answer to fan dislike of the Force Awakens (less fan service, less copycat storytelling, more subverting expectations).

Rise of Skywalker was an answer to fan dislike hatred of The Last Jedi (less subverting expectations, more fan service, less Rose Tico).

The fans have more control over star wars than they realise, problem is its a fools errand trying to please us. There is no pleasing everyone.
And they should not have, it is nonsense.

I don't agree on the Last Jedi, I think they said to Rian Johnson, "You are a talented writer, just write the Star Wars movie you want to".

And he wasn't interested in things like the Knights of Ren and who Rey's parents were.

It is perfectly possible to write and direct a Star Wars movie without basing it on 'what the fans want.'
Rogue One for example. Empire Strikes Back might be the greatest example of course.

You need a creative idea though. I think the new trilogy was somewhat weighed down by the enormous scale of emotion for the OT. The legends, the scenes, the famous lines of dialogue. That's a lesson Disney may learn. Jon Favreau seems to have learnt it already so...

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Do they really do what fans want? I mean, nobody asked me :)

I do wish JJ could have done all three. As much as I loved The Force Awakens I felt like there were too many callbacks to the original trilogy. Then there was too much 'unpicking' of The Last Jedi before he could crack on and get on with the job.

Last edited:

VisionMan

Abrams kept a lot and included a lot what of he liked from The Last Jedi, then just dumped what he didn't, which is his right. Whether anyone agrees with that is a matter only for fans not Abrams. That sounds harsh but true. There are some fierce opinions out there, hatred even. Which is very sad when one considers its just a film. Because it is just a film. :)

Matt

I saw it on Sunday at an IMAX with my 10 year daughter who i have taken to see all the new Starwars Films.
I havent seen Force Awakens for a good while and only saw Last Jedi once when it came out, and i think that might be why i enjoyed it more as a semi-stand alone film. I can imagine if i had done a rewatch of the first two then the tone and direction it took would be jarring.
I have to admit, i loved all the fan service, all the characters that turned up, John Williams getting some screen time. I thought how they handled Leia was great and a lovely tribute to both her and Carrie.

But what made it really special was looking at my daughter and her looking at me with a beaming smile of pure cinematic joy. I can now take her back and show her IV-V-VI, she doesnt need to know about the others.

Matt

I also don't blame JJ or Ryan for what they did, i think it goes higher up. How they didn't fully plot out 3 films, common threads etc is beyond me.

SDMDAM

I saw it on Sunday at an IMAX with my 10 year daughter who i have taken to see all the new Starwars Films.
I havent seen Force Awakens for a good while and only saw Last Jedi once when it came out, and i think that might be why i enjoyed it more as a semi-stand alone film. I can imagine if i had done a rewatch of the first two then the tone and direction it took would be jarring.
I have to admit, i loved all the fan service, all the characters that turned up, John Williams getting some screen time. I thought how they handled Leia was great and a lovely tribute to both her and Carrie.

But what made it really special was looking at my daughter and her looking at me with a beaming smile of pure cinematic joy. I can now take her back and show her IV-V-VI, she doesnt need to know about the others.
She might really like I, II and III though. My daughter did when we watched the first 6 prior to TFA.

Har-One

Watched this last night and I thought it was really bad. I ended up falling asleep. I suppose I need to buy the BR to finish off the collection and find out what I missed.
You are not alone. I finally saw it yesterday. There was a guy next to me who was snoring.

I thought it was bad too. The force awaken was a bit repetitive but at least it wasn't bad. The Last Jedi went downhill and this one was an endless boring tripe. They tried to join too many ends that it felt that I had to endure it rather than enjoy it.

Anyway, do go and watch it. Taste is a personal thing.

caz2005

I was quite disappointed with TLJ but you know what, TROS generated a new appreciation for what RJ was trying to do with his mid-entry.

SDMDAM

I was quite disappointed with TLJ but you know what, TROS generated a new appreciation for what RJ was trying to do with his mid-entry.
Even though I did really get on board with what RJ was trying to do, I appreciate and understand your view. My gut says we should have gone on that journey. But, I did really like ROS too.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Look at this sensationalist article:

Unprecedented, but then halfway through you see that Endgame also dropped the exact same 91.5% in the 4th week :lesson:
Yeah it was a poorly written, convoluted article. You literally have to get to the very last paragraph before you actually see what their point is
While Rise of Skywalker sits atop this unfortunate list alongside Avengers: Endgame, their situations aren’t all that comparable. After all, Endgame’s $357.1 million opening weekend is $100 million ahead of the second-best opening weekend ever, and more than double what Rise of Skywalker made on the first weekend. The only movie that truly suffered a comparatively embarrassing fourth-weekend showing was Captain America: Civil War, which pulled in $179.1 million on opening weekend.
ie Endgame opening weekend was $357.1m and 4th weekend was $30.4m.
ROS opening weekend was $177.4m and 4th weekend was down to $15.1m.

So their point was that Endgame made twice as much on opening weekend and still made twice as much on the 4th weekend as well.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Occasionally 'Forbes' stuff has something decent to offer, but a lot of it's content is badly written.

Pops up all the time though on my feeds, think it's pretty popular. Has a Star Wars issue though, seen quite a few negative articles about Rise already.

VisionMan

'Forbes' just has writers that don't seem to like Star Wars, but not only that, actively go after it!

Atomic77

This movie was the best of the final 3 movies. It really does a good job of wrapping up the skywalker story. But still it feels like there is more to tell. This can’t be the end. Having only seen it once l give it a 8/10.

Coulson

Personally I only watch these for the good films I like and avoid watching these for the many awful films I also like. They regularly highlight things you may not have seen while watching the film, and delight in tearing apart poor attempts at film making. If you don't that think this a poor film then have no fear :)

Last edited:

BeardlessKoala

Amateur😂 I saw a A New Hope 17 times in ‘78. Then there were the ‘79, ‘80 re-releases... the ‘82 double bills with Empire... the triple-bills in ‘84...😀
You have no idea how jealous I am! To see the originals in the cinema! I was 7 when the special editions came out on VHS and Phantom Menace was the first one I saw in the pictures when I was 9. Probably why I'm more forgiving of it than most 😂. Would have loved to see the OT in cinemas when it came out!