Star Wars: Episode 9 IX - The Rise of Skywalker (19 December 2019)

mooperman

Distinguished Member
I can't believe anyone would want to read leaked spoilers. What if they're true? You've just ruined the film for yourselves.

That said some of the daft **** I've seen in Youtube thumbnails seems to tease the return of every tom dick & harry across the franchise. Hopefully its all a load of nonsense but I'm steering clear just in case.
i will wait for blu ray release regardless... i dont mind spoilers and as above... might turn out to not be true anyways.

SDMDAM

I can't believe anyone would want to read leaked spoilers. What if they're true? You've just ruined the film for yourselves.

That said some of the daft **** I've seen in Youtube thumbnails seems to tease the return of every tom dick & harry across the franchise. Hopefully its all a load of nonsense but I'm steering clear just in case.
Totally agree. The YouTube thumbnails and headlines on Google newsfeed drives me nuts.

tonyk79

I’ve watched a few of the YouTube theories and while some may be interesting, they are a little far fetched, similar to how the Game of Thrones ones came across and we know how the 8th season went on it. People expected far too much and what was produced was underwhelming.

I think people are expecting too much from the story in episode 9 and will be disappointed, partly due to the existence of the expanded universe material which has thousands of pages of material over many books/comics/games developed over decades where the feature films have a couple of hours to get it across. The original trilogy kept the story simple and it worked, pacing was good and we didn’t need reincarnations of previous characters, Leia poppins or possible time travel; yes that is actually one of theories/leaks on YouTube.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Maybe Leia's fate will be similar to Alderaan's?

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Maybe Leia's fate will be similar to Alderaan's?
This isn't a spoiler as I have no clue, but I can honestly see here making it to the end credits, even with minimal screentime. If handled correctly, it could make for a powerful closing shot.
A shame that Fisher never got to spa with Adam Driver. I think that had massive potential.

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
It really felt like there was a big showdown coming between Mother & son, so gutted we won’t get to have that confrontation & resolution but I’m still super excited to watch the movie !
R.I.P Carrie Fisher

piston broke

Don't know if this is news or not...

New rumors have hit the net offering that George Lucas has been called to save Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker following test screenings that are claimed to have been a complete "disaster."

There's an article or there detailing it.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Don't know if this is news or not...

New rumors have hit the net offering that George Lucas has been called to save Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker following test screenings that are claimed to have been a complete "disaster."

There's an article or there detailing it.
I did read something about that, but can't remember the link. It's supposedly involved three different endings! We'll see...

SDMDAM

There is never a Star Wars movie comes out without some tale of disaster. Some have been partially true but most are wide of the mark.

I think I will just wait until 22nd December before making any judgements.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of Star Wars fans (ha!) desperate for the film to fail, so they are looking eagerly for anything negative that they can spin into a disaster that fits their narrative. Probably hugely exaggerated or invented.

It doesn't make sense to me either. Sad.

gavinhanly

Unless they got Lucas in months ago - that story's complete BS. The movie would have to be pretty much locked down at this point, considering they're likely to screen to critics in about a month.

WhyDoIBother

For those of you who have avoided all rumours and plot leaks (I did the same for every Star Wars release up until sitting through the 2.5 hour insult that was TLJ) but think you're in a position to dismiss and belittle everyone who doesn't fall in line with 'any blue (Star Wars) will do' mantra then please realise that you also look like quite sad phony Star Wars fans "from a certain point of view".

These latest rumours and other more negative stories about the behind the scenes turmoil at Disney are starting to be picked up by more 'established' media outlets now, why?

Probably because in the past month or so Bob Iger no less has said enough (in his book) or has not said enough (in his quarterly shareholder call) confirming there has been some real mismanagement of the Star Wars franchise since day one and in particular with this latest offering.

Iger refused to be drawn on expectations for all things ROS during the call that was mostly Wall Street cronies repeatedly asking the question not the 'hate filled fans'. That is not a good sign, Wall Street will want a course correction and that's why the MSM is now allowed to be a bit more negative towards the mismanagement of the franchise.

FYI - I've read most of the leaks that dropped before the last trailer and they mostly fit and confirmed what we have now seen up to now. The leaks that were widely reported seem legit but since many of the rumours have been about heavy reshoots who knows what we'll get... Hopefully for the best but then again maybe we'll get a 'choose your own adventure' blu ray at some point for this one...

At least we have the Mandalorian, early reviews sound pretty positive. Apparently the worst thing about it is, like Rogue One, it proves some genuinely good Star Wars content is still possible.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
For those of you who have avoided all rumours and plot leaks (I did the same for every Star Wars release up until sitting through the 2.5 hour insult that was TLJ) but think you're in a position to dismiss and belittle everyone who doesn't fall in line with 'any blue (Star Wars) will do' mantra then please realise that you also look like quite sad phony Star Wars fans "from a certain point of view".
Wow.

I don't think anyone has said "any Star Wars will do". Speaking for myself, it's not about unwillingness to criticise (read some of my scathing recent reviews of TFA and TLJ). Its about a refusal to join in with an increasingly dogmatic and intolerant section of fandom who are determined to hate Disney Star Wars no matter what. When one is actively looking for negative press, digging dirt on the production, and enjoying it, one looks less like a critical fan and more like a cult member. Moreover, the constant negativity from those people drowns out any genuine controversy & movie news about any real production troubles- a bit like a boy crying wolf.

I don't really care about 'behind the scenes turmoil' at Disney/ Lucasfilm, whether it exists or not. Its not uncommon in big studio films, where a lot is riding on that bottom line. There was trouble behind Rogue One's production as well and that's my favourite Star Wars film since the OT by a clear mile. What matters is the final product.

WhyDoIBother

@lucasisking

Wow, wow, wow :p

I think we generally or at least eventually agree on most things Star Wars but if you're only just writing scathing reviews on TFA and TLJ now when the penny dropped a lot quicker for others could it be you're perhaps just a bit behind the curve?

Honestly dude, I sometimes wonder if you just put out these comments to provoke a reaction so you can churn out a bit darvo in your next response for entertainment value. Everything in your reply can go the other way. There's cult like behavior on either side of the Star Wars coin but you do have a talent for accusing others as being in x group or club with little to no evidence - just saying like...

Come on, admit it you're one of these fandom youtubers you bemoan hiding behind an avatar or mask! ;)

I don't hate Disney but they are getting dangerously big and I don't like where they are/were going with Star Wars or with the other content they now own as well for that matter. Bleak times ahead for cinema/film enthusiasts if they continue as is and not just concerning Star Wars, they will encourage others to do the same unless the consumer does something about it.

If by chance this film is good, doesn't retcon both previous trilogies as much as the leaks imply it does, and gets the balance of fan service/moving the story forward just right then great. That will be a herculean effort after the train wrecks and tragedy that's befallen them to date.

If it doesn't then it deserves to fail and fail hard - they've already released a book to fill in the blanks this movie apparently has, they've already canned all the planned trilogies, they won't be drawn on expectations to their share holders, the toy line is the worst I've ever seen, manufacturers are nervous to commit to this film's content only want the old and the current Holywood heavyweights won't touch it - even Abrams knew better, if only he didn't owe in part his career to Kennedy...

Most of this comes from Disney themselves or related industry sources not from some internet randoms, so sorry but this simply doesn't bode well, shoring up to brace for impact with a heavy dose of course correction written all over it.

I, as much of the rest of you want to leave the cinema after watching a Star Wars film with a smile on my face and this happening on the inside... hidden under a cloak of toxic masculinity of course :eek:

Such a shame there's only been one genuinely happy accident since 1983.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I think we generally or at least eventually agree on most things Star Wars but if you're only just writing scathing reviews on TFA and TLJ now when the penny dropped a lot quicker for others could it be you're perhaps just a bit behind the curve?
It's not a case of a penny dropping, just a sober, honest appraisal of films (that I still like). It is possible to have heavy criticism of a franchise film without turning on said franchise and believing it to be 'dead'. The franchise is more than redeemable, just as the prequels were despite their many, many failings.

Honestly dude, I sometimes wonder if you just put out these comments to provoke a reaction so you can churn out a bit darvo in your next response for entertainment value. Everything in your reply can go the other way. There's cult like behavior on either side of the Star Wars coin but you do have a talent for accusing others as being in x group or club with little to no evidence - just saying like...
I dont think I'm being provocative, I'm aiming for the opposite. There is room for a middle ground here without needing to choose a side. Also I've literally just called out something from 'the other side', over on The Last Jedi thread.

I don't hate Disney but they are getting dangerously big and I don't like where they are/were going with Star Wars or with the other content they now own as well for that matter. Bleak times ahead for cinema/film enthusiasts if they continue as is and not just concerning Star Wars, they will encourage others to do the same unless the consumer does something about it.
That's a commercial concern, not a Star Wars one. The industry landscape has changed and Disney are responding accordingly; only the free market can change it.

If by chance this film is good, doesn't retcon both previous trilogies as much as the leaks imply it does, and gets the balance of fan service/moving the story forward just right then great. That will be a herculean effort after the train wrecks and tragedy that's befallen them to date.

If it doesn't then it deserves to fail and fail hard - they've already released a book to fill in the blanks this movie apparently has, they've already canned all the planned trilogies, they won't be drawn on expectations to their share holders, the toy line is the worst I've ever seen, manufacturers are nervous to commit to this film's content only want the old and the current Holywood heavyweights won't touch it - even Abrams knew better, if only he didn't owe in part his career to Kennedy...
What's wrong with just hoping it will be an exciting ride? Bottom line (and I say this as a lover of the franchise since I was 4), there are more average star wars films than there are great ones. A great one will be amazing, but an entertaining one will be more than welcome.

I, as much of the rest of you want to leave the cinema after watching a Star Wars film with a smile on my face and this happening on the inside... hidden under a cloak of toxic masculinity of course :eek:

Such a shame there's only been one genuinely happy accident since 1983.
Agreed. That too was my internal reaction to R1 :D. At least I hope it stayed internal lol :blush:

WhyDoIBother

The franchise is more than redeemable
Yes it is and the Mandalorian has just gone some way to prove it, maybe a bit too heavy on the nods and the music feels just out of place enough not to bring on full fat Star Wars fuzzy feelings but other than that it was pretty good, made me feel sorry for
Salacious Crumb
:laugh:

I haven't read your reviews but TFA was just an uninspired rehash that could have been an ok starting block but TLJ was the poorest of storytelling dressed up as subverting expectations by someone feigning to be a maverick - Take the Star Wars trade marks out of that film and people would consigned it to the scrap heap instantly.

There was zero respect given to TFA never mind the rest of the saga, terrible film I don't care how pretty it could look there was no point I thought this was Star Wars and I went into it with no knowledge of the plot but had heard it reviewed extremely well.

Unlike the Joker that suffered the polar opposite at the hands of the media but would still remain an exceptional film even without the DC element, refreshing in this day and age.

Can't bring myself to watch TLJ again and I even bought TPM on DVD just to see some Star Wars on the best possible picture at the time.

I dont think I'm being provocative, I'm aiming for the opposite.
There are plenty of Star Wars fans (ha!)
It doesn't make sense to me either. Sad.
Not really a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan, are we? ;)

Regardless of the final outcome and as the behind the scenes truths out I'm looking forward to the discussions to come. (No sarcasm or anything intended in saying this)

That's a commercial concern, not a Star Wars one. The industry landscape has changed and Disney are responding accordingly;
They are one in the same and I think you've also made this argument in the past, even if they were separate the commercial side has literally lost the plot and in a few years time they'll all be owning up to it, having a laugh at what they were thinking - doesn't matter because the people in charge only ever fail up...

only the free market can change it.
There's not been one of these since the mid 70s. Disney own over 50% of Hollywood now, they've been using every nasty hook and crook to convey it's already a massive success and it's fallen pretty flat so far that even Wall Street is getting nervous.

Take the BS stories about ticket sales (Disney own shares and JJ is on the board of the ticket company), none of the stories had an actual measurable criteria that was worth anything or the amount of shelf space in toy shops for Star Wars toys. I was in Smyths last week and there's only one lot of Star Wars shelves and the vast bulk was OT with a handful of ROS - This is absolutely not normal this close to a new movie.

Maybe because of other interests I find this all quite fascinating but also a bit sad more than others...

What's wrong with just hoping it will be an exciting ride?
Absolutely nothing but for me I like a little bit of substance sprinkled on my Star Wars, not too much but just enough. I'm on the Kurtz, not the Lucas side of the argument where Star Wars is concerned.

I'd argue there was now more bad than average - I put TPM on for my youngest the other week there - Far worse than I remember, the first few lines of dialogue alone are so stilted and set the tone for the whole film. It felt like I was watching a bad knock off of a Roger Corman Star Wars knock off, made it to Jar Jar then abandoned my kid - don't feel guilty about it either.

Agreed. That too was my internal reaction to R1 :D. At least I hope it stayed internal lol
Haha, yeah I'm surprised my better half didn't twig and rip the piss on the way home when I was only able to reply in nods and grunts until my insides composed themselves. :laugh:

richp007

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit concerned now by what I accidentally saw today in relation to The Mandalorian's first episode, and what it means for Episode IX.

I'm not gonna dig any further that's for sure, but I'm thinking if you're none the wiser regarding The Mandalorian, then you might be better served not watching it till after Episode IX.

I'm hoping someone who watches the first episode of The Mandalorian today or in the coming days can clarify what is going in.

WhyDoIBother

I'm hoping someone who watches the first episode of The Mandalorian today or in the coming days can clarify what is going in.
Are you talking about the episode's ending?

Can't say I've been looking today but to this point I've seen and heard nothing in the leaks to directly connect the end of this episode and ROS.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Are you talking about the episode ends?

Can't say I've been looking today but to this point I've seen and heard nothing in the leaks to directly connect the end of this episode and ROS.
Yeah I've not seen the episode yet, but I accidentally saw a picture of it this morning.

But apparently what I saw has something to do with Episode IX.

I didn't want to know that, but it's too late for me now :laugh: But what I'm thinking is why do something like that if it's meant to be an Episode IX surprise?

Unless I've got it completely out of context, but like I say, I don't want to do any digging now!

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit concerned now by what I accidentally saw today in relation to The Mandalorian's first episode, and what it means for Episode IX.

I'm not gonna dig any further that's for sure, but I'm thinking if you're none the wiser regarding The Mandalorian, then you might be better served not watching it till after Episode IX.

I skimmed some Mandalorian reviews and came across the same spoiler! :facepalm:Obviously a lot depends on how the series pans out, but it surely MUST have massive implications for Episode IX...

Fillumgeek

Weirdly enough I was thinking about how The Mandalorian will be one of most streamed bits of content ever....and hey presto, someone has emailed me a link to a copy of the 1st episode.

*I don't usually do that by the way, I pay for everything, always have.

Now you're telling me, I may have to avoid it for possible Episode 9 spoilers?

richp007

Distinguished Member
See I thought it was the first episode that was the link to Rise of Skywalker? Which is why I was worried about what I've inadvertently seen.

Will find out for myself soon anyway I guess!

SDMDAM

Not seen it yet but I can't believe they are going to drop a massive spoiler for ROS over a month before it comes out. I mean the movie has been covered in secrecy.