• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Star Wars Episode 1 to 3: Which scenes to censor for kid friendly viewing?

techno79

Established Member
My 9 year old son is extremely keen on Star Wars, he's been reading many books, played many of the Lego Star Wars games and played with countless toys. After much pressure from him, I finally gave in to letting him watch the movies Episodes 4 to 6. He really enjoyed them and is now asking to watch more of the films. I was thinking of doing Episodes 1 and 2, followed by the animated The Clone Wars (in this order: ).

This should take quite a while to get through so hopefully my son will be older such that the darker side of Episode 3 won't be as much of an issue.

My question is, are there any noteworthy scenes in Episode 1 and 2 that might need censoring for a 9 year old boy. He's quite mature and he was okay to watch Episode 4 to 6. I've seen episode 1 and 2 multiple times but nothing that recent, I don't recall any particular scene that was any worse than episodes 4 to 6.

Also, with episode 3 (although we'll be a while before getting there), the only two scenes that I remember that were a little strong for a child were the Anakin and Mustafar scenes and possibly the Anakin at the Jedi temple scene. Was there anything else?

Last edited:

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
My 9 year old son is extremely keen on Star Wars, he's been reading many books, played many of the Lego Star Wars games and played with countless toys. After much pressure from him, I finally gave in to letting him watch the movies Episodes 4 to 6. He really enjoyed them and is now asking to watch more of the films. I was thinking of doing Episodes 1 and 2, followed by the animated The Clone Wars (in this order: ).

This should take quite a while to get through so hopefully my son will be older such that the darker side of Episode 3 won't be as much of an issue.

My question is, are there any noteworthy scenes in Episode 1 and 2 that might need censoring for a 9 year old boy. He's quite mature and he was okay to watch Episode 4 to 6. I've seen episode 1 and 2 multiple times but nothing that recent, I don't recall any particular scene that was any worse than episodes 4 to 6.

Also, with episode 3 (although we'll be a while before getting there), the only two scenes that I remember that were a little strong for a child were the Anakin and Mustafar scenes and possibly the Anakin at the Jedi temple scene. Was there anything else?

Nothing in Episode 1. Episode 2 should be fine too although the
Tusken slaughter and Anakins subsequent confession
are pretty dark.

Episode 3
Anakin's immolation
scene is pretty gnarly for a kid, but I'd say at 9 he should cope. The
child slaughter
happens off screen.

The only scenes that I think are intolerably grim (for someone of any age), are the romantic scenes between Anakin and Padme in Episode II. I still have sleepless nights about them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom