Star Wars DVD delay shocker!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Lex, May 14, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From Darkhorizons.com

Star Wars (DVD): George Lucas talked with Jam Movies this week about the delay of the original trilogy on DVD and confirmed its at least three years away: "Probably, when I finish this (trilogy). We don't have time to do it, to be honest with you, and the other ones (the original trilogy) don't have any of the materials because background materials were not archived as much in the 1970s and '80s so it's going to be harder to put together a worthwhile DVD".

:rolleyes: :mad:

2. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    What's so shocking?

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    '05: episode 3 on 'film' & disc.

'06: original trilogy on disc.

These have always been the quoted provisional release dates.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the original trilogy slip to '07 to mark the 30th anniversary though.

4. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Do you work for a newspaper:cool:

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    what always gets me thought is that George loves to milk the money train and also he helped to pioneer Surround sound, THX, etc...

You'd think he be keen even to just release the bare movie of the original trilogy just so that audiences can view them as intended at that he can buy a spare lear jet....

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was being sarcastic! :rolleyes: :D

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921

I DO!!

:D :D :D

8. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I hoped you'd say that! :p

I think that George thinks us video pirates don't deserve a pristine copy on DVD. After all, he didn't deliver a DVD quality DVD of SWPM. Other than the several changed scenes it looks no better than the LD. In fact, it looks worse because it has more edge enhancement than the LD. DVD isn't secure enough for him, I suspect. I also suspect that he wants or is himself developing a fun, new copy-guard. He wants to delay in case something very heinous can be developed. Somethin' really fun that would blow up your DVD-ROM or DVD recorder.

I also think he might very well be contemplating further changes to STIR WARZ, now Episode 4. Geez, he could CGI-in stuff. He may need to do this to weave Episode 3 in? Why he might even do more to "improve" Han's image? Georgie is a first rate infidel that dispises his own fans.

Those are my psychic predictions 4 2-day.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Indeed the rumours are that he is planning to do yet another 'special edition' of Star Wars. :rolleyes:

I suspect this time he is going digitally remove Han Solo and replace him with Jar Jar Binks. And digitally remove Princess Leia because there are too many women in the film for his tastes! :rolleyes: :p :D

10. Bluecgi

Bluecgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well you can find the (unofficial) Trilogy DVDs on sale on Ebay! there's millions people selling them, out recently is the DVD9 version. and I heard the picture quality is very good, close to DVD!
    I am interested in how good it looks on the big screen (projector) as experience tell me something looks good on the normal TV can look crap on the big screen which is all I watch now.

has anyone here got a copy of these and what do you think? is it based on the 1997 cinema version with digitally remastered pictures and sound?

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    I'd imagine Lucas' ears pricked (appropriate word) up when he heard of blue ray laser dvd. This could be his format of choice as the timescale would possibly work and the encoding is copy prohibitive. Plus it'll be elite enough for him as laser disc once was. If he had any scruples - and we know he doesn't - he'd let one of the many decent houses sort out the trilogy and whack 'em out as originally intended. Just like Ridley Scott should with Blade Runner. But these gits get all possessive and further bloated on ego and wealth. It's enough to make you go communist and demand the people's right with nuclear backing, well almost.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    The difference is though, Ridley's giving us 3 (or is it 4?) different versions of Blade Runner on the SE....George will only give us whichever edition of the "original" Star Wars trilogy fits in with the latest 3 films, which means a version we've yet to see.
    Rick McCallum's already been talking about them shooting extra scenes for the original SW trilogy in tandem with the latest films, so whatever George does with the original films, you can guarantee it's not going to be the films that were released in either '77(he's already stated he's never going to release them as they were) or '97(no point releasing something he isn't happy with).

13. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    I know about Scott's intent, I posted an interview clip on here confirming it. I just think both he and Lucas could've and should've done an 'original' dvd for the films instead of appreciaters having to wait years. IMO most people don't see a film then go, "Wouldn't it be great if we could wait years to see this again dvd but on the proviso there's new cuts available and gubbins" - getting technical! Both couldv'e released an 'original' and said they'd do an SE version with more gubbins for people later.
    The real clue is when they say THEY wouldn't be happy releasing 'less'.
    It just riles me that something becomes taken as great and then the maker gets churlish about it and sod the public who supported their ass. International treasures if you like. Other artists, film makers can accept some 'damning' praise and support fans and their own interests, why can't they, that's all?
    Less patience than a man with no patience on this one.

14. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens if Lucas snuffs it??

They´ll never be available, ever!! Come to think of it, if he pegged out before Episode 3, what would happen??

It doesnt bear thinking about!!:(

15. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
    Would be a bit of shame wouldnt it?? You could also apply that to other aspects of the films.

What would it be like if there was no John Williams about to do the score?? Take his music away and the films lose rather a lot IMO.