1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars DVD Boxset Updates

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Mezz, May 19, 2005.

1. Mezz

Mezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have been having kind of a Star Wars Marathon because of the new one that is coming out, have just watched Return of the Jedi, got to the scene were look returns from the death star to see to my amazment Obi One (Alec Guiness) Yoda (Yoda :) ) and Anikan ( Haden Christian :eek: ) I was shocked has anyone else noticed this i have watched return of the jedi before out of my dvd boxset but never noticed this. Have you guys what other edits have been put in.

MEZZ

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    :eek: Should have gone to specsavers

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
  4. Mezz

Mezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh Thanks for the link just took me by suprise when i saw him, but hey at least it is making the films seem like 1 saga

5. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes I noticed this straight away after purchasing Region 1 boxset
    Didnt know wehther it was just reg 1 or not though obviuosly not

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Having just seen Ep III, I am very eager to revisit the original trilogy again. I know many people get annoyed on why Lucas tinkers around with the films so much. But I imagine he’s trying as hard as he can to make this is viewed as one long epic.

7. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The main problem I think making this like one long epic is that scenes that had gravitas originally ie. 'No , I am your father' and 'There is another' , lose this.

Because if you were sitting watching the film set for the first time in chronological order these above scenes would have no impact as you would already know these facts.
    Even though they are revelations for the characters they were designed more so for the audience.

Although anyone with even just a passing interest in Star Wars knows the story anyway.

Rant over.

(What am I doing?,day off work - reading these forums instead of doing something useful!!)

Red1

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,179
    There are a few changes to the DVD releases such as a new CGI Jabba in A New Hope, Han and Greedo shooting at about the same time, Ian McDiarmid playing the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back (a good change in my opinion), the removal of Sebastian Shaws eyebrows in Jedi and of course Hayden as the Force Ghost at the end of Jedi.

I am guessing that when watching 1-6 by someone who has not seen the Original Trilopgy before that these changes will be welcome but to people who grew up with the Original Trilogy they are not welcome, thankfully in the Star Wars Marathon held in London on Monday they used the 97 SEs of the Trilogy and showed them in the release order which I do prefer as the revelations in Empire and Jedi still seem relevant.

9. Mezz

Mezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind the edits to be honest, i am only 19 and have seen all the versions of star wars from the originals to the 97 re vamps, has he done this with the indy boxset do you know.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    That is a very interesting point and one which I was discussing with the wife just the other day. I was wondering that when my kids come to watch the films (haven't got any yet so it's a long way into the future) where should they start from: Ep I or Ep IV?

For me, despite the new trilogy being the prequels, the first trilogy will always be the original trilogy. I'm not sure how future generations will see it...

11. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    If you want to tell your future kids off, instead of grounding them you could make them watch the risable Revenge of the Sith. After they have learnt their lesson, you can reward them by letting them watch the original trilogy. ;)

Russell

12. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    You are right with these points and I think that Lucas could have kept the, 'I am your father' moment alive, by not having Anakin become Darth while still in human form. He could have left the audience thinking that Anakin had in fact died after the Obi-Wan fight and the Emperor just happens to have a new apprentice come A New Hope. Then all of a sudden in Episode V, Vader reveals the fact that he's the father and then they could intersect the footage that was used in Episode III as an explanation of what happened to Anakin and how he became Vader. That would have worked and would have kept the surprise when shown chronologically.

There are other things though that work when viewed 1-6 but that you know when viewing 4-6, 1-3. For example, you wouldn't know that Palpatine is Darth Sidious. You'd be wondering what exactly it was they're building at the end of III to find out in IV that it's the Death Star and it blows planets up! It also brings a little more meaning to Vader killing the emperor. He's had his mum and his wife die and he so desperately wanted to be able to stop that happening and now he gets the chance to save his son.

There must be other things that you get viewing 1-6 that you wouldn't get viewing in release order.

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Oooh, contentious! :)

14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes but true. The whole cinema groaned in disbelief at some of the lines and laughed out loud at some parts, Palpatine talking to the newly appointed Darth Vader, for instance, that were supposed to be really dramatic. Don't get me started on "that one word dialogue" at the end - deary me what a pile of rubbish.

Anyway - what's this topic about again? ;)

Russell

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    So Russell, I’m guessing you didn’t like it! :D