1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars. Best of the best.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by BadAss, Aug 11, 2002.

?
  1. EPI The Phantom Menace.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. EPII Attack of The Clones.

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. EPIV A New Hope.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. EPV Empire Stikes Back.

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. EPVI Return of The Jedi.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    With only Episode III to wait for which of the previous Episodes would you consider the best of the best. For arguements sake we will not take Picture or Sound quality into consideration. The vote goes on Story, Music, SE, etc, etc.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Silly question as every true SW fan (and even those who are not) would have to say that Empire is the finest of all of them.

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Why would they have to say that ?

It's a matter for personal consideration.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    The Empire Strikes Back - definitely!:)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I went for A New Hope, Empire is great its just a little too dark. Episode 4 is by far the best.
    What other film could get away with "But I wanted to go Tarshi Station to pick up some power converterrrrrs!":D

6. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly only Episode VII: Luke goes to Tarshi Station and picks up some power converterrrrrs(!). :D

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    IMO The Empire Strikes Back is not just a great Star Wars film, it is a great film full stop. For me I am not sure that the same can be said about the others. :)

8. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Lex

I believe Empire is the only great film in the series, although Star Wars was quite good.

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've gone for AOTC. I know I should be saying Empire, and indeed Empire was my favorite before AOTC was released, but there's just something about AOTC that got under my skin. I absolutely love it but find it difficult to say why I prefer it to Empire.

I think it comes down to a few things that unfortunately affect your view of a movie over time. I've just seen Empire Strikes Back too many times, as I'm sure everyone else has. While this in itself does not make it any less of a movie, I would find it very difficult to sit down and watch it right though from beginning to end. I suppose what I'm saying is that, for me anyway, watching AOTC now and for the forseeable future will be a more enjoyable and exciting experience than watching Empire Strikes Back for the millionth and one time :(.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The story's better in A New Hope IMHO, Empire has a bit of a farce feeling to it. Vader chases Luke, Luke runs off and then saves his friends. I think A New Hope has a better balance to it.

Again IMHO I thought AOTC was like watching a cartoon, on leaving the cinema I prefered TPM... although I would like to see AOTC again to see what I think now.

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    For me at first it seemed a straight forward question, until it came to actualy make the vote. It was then I realised their's a part of each film I love and couldnt live without. To pick one film over another had me thinking alot longer than I ever thought I would. In the end I went for Empire. For me this film has everthing, the special effects are miles ahead of EP IV (the ships now moved with speed). The sweeping score by John Williams captures the on screen action to perfection, it emotional, its tense it makes you beg for more.
    But I did think that after 25 years AOTC would of had more votes than it has (a new audience and all). I guess the majority of this new audience are too young to be voting on these forums.

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad to see no one's voted for the Phantom Menace yet (although, now I've said that, someone probably will :D)

I voted for Empire Strikes Back as well :)

13. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Empire Strikes Back here too. It's a shame Lucas never managed to rekindle the dark feel after, instead going more cash cow child-like weight. Force field up...

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not ever afraid to air a different opinion, but i think that the empire strikes back is the worst! I dont like a film which leaves everything so open, closure is good! hence my choice of the return of the jedi (despite my increasing irritation at the unconvincing furry rugby balls......hold on, maybe thats a bit cruel)

15. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I guess when you watch Empire for the first time your left (like FOTR) with no ending. You know there will be a sequel and your left 2 or 3 years to wait. But when youve seen the sequel, the ending of the film before becomes less of an issue. I think the end of Empire was a victim of its own sucess. So much injustice has been done, the good guys as far as Empire goes have lost. Han is frozen, Luke was nearly killed twice, Liea's Rebellion has been crushed. Their was no happy ending and your left feeling gutted. Where as the others leave you on a high.

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's just it. I could watch Empire once a week, and not get bored with it. But I've seen AOTC once, and I don't expect I'll ever see it again.

17. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Awwwwww come on, give it another chance.....please.....for me?

:)

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    When I saw The Empire Strikes Back I totally enjoyed it until the end, what a blow to be continued. Only after Return Of The Jedi, did I like it again. So as a stand alone film A New Hope, is the better film, but as the first part of two films Empire Strikes Back is better.